shoe help:)

Old May 4, 14, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
shoe help:)

I hate packing my sneakers because they take up so much space, but I have to dress down to wear them on plane....I saw a gentleman the other day who had a pair of sneakers slung over his backpack.....it made me wonder if I could do the same thing with my carry on bag, or do you think I would be told to put them in the bag??
further complicating my travel is that I have a cpap machine, event though it doesnt count against the carry on allowance its a good sized bag....
thanks!
Old May 5, 14, 11:33 am

Check out the Nike Free series sneakers. They pack fairly flat thanks to the heel guard being flexible and "folds down" (look for this feature, not all have it).

New Balance Minimus also has gotten good reviews on FT. I haven't checked them out in person so I don't know if the heel guard also folds down but it might be worth checking out.
Old May 5, 14, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

thanks!!
Old May 7, 14, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by nlkm9 View Post
I hate packing my sneakers because they take up so much space, but I have to dress down to wear them on plane....I saw a gentleman the other day who had a pair of sneakers slung over his backpack.....it made me wonder if I could do the same thing with my carry on bag, or do you think I would be told to put them in the bag??
further complicating my travel is that I have a cpap machine, event though it doesnt count against the carry on allowance its a good sized bag....
thanks!
Do you really want to look like a bag lady getting on the plane?

And I am sorry anyone with their stinky shoes slung over a backpack does not qualify as a "gentleman". Gentlemen don't make me smell their stinky shoes or overpack
Old May 10, 14, 6:05 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Gold
Have you thought about

Very lightweight "barefoot" style sneakers? Like these:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mer...colorFamily=01

There are quite a few out there and they are quite light and packable.

Downside is they often do not have a lot of support.
Old Jun 2, 14, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Do you really want to look like a bag lady getting on the plane?

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
And I am sorry anyone with their stinky shoes slung over a backpack does not qualify as a "gentleman". Gentlemen don't make me smell their stinky shoes or overpack
Interesting level of assumptions and bias in those statements.
Old Jun 8, 14, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
What about a pair of Vans? They take up less space and are lighter and give substantial support for walking. You can even exercise in them.
Old Jun 8, 14, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Gold/GE
Originally Posted by freecia View Post
Check out the Nike Free series sneakers. They pack fairly flat thanks to the heel guard being flexible and "folds down" (look for this feature, not all have it).

New Balance Minimus also has gotten good reviews on FT. I haven't checked them out in person so I don't know if the heel guard also folds down but it might be worth checking out.
My wife swears by her Nike Free 5.0. She one bags it (Redoxx Skytrain) almost weekly for work. The shoes takes up very little space, very light and very flexible. I have a couple of NB Minimus shoes (i have wide feet), and while light and flat, not as flexible as her Nike. They don't have much heel rise, so try them at home first before traveling.
Old Jun 10, 14, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Any opinion on the previous nike versions? I see there is a 3.0 and 4.0 as we'll- thanjs
Old Feb 10, 15, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by wrxmom View Post
What about a pair of Vans? They take up less space and are lighter and give substantial support for walking. You can even exercise in them.
I live in Vans. Great for everything.
Old Feb 17, 15, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Gold
My suggestion

Get travel sized CPAP....
Like this:
http://www.cpap.com/productpage/tran...AQQaAg2B8P8HAQ

Then something like Merrell bare foots and you are good to go
Old Feb 22, 15, 4:46 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus & FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Do you want shoes to work out in or shoes to walk in?

I have Missoni Converse, which are pretty cute to travel in and they're comfortable to walk in. I also just bought some Pas de Rouge shoes for travel. They're on the pricy side, but cute and comfortable. For working out, I still love my flat travel trainers. Take up no more room than flip flops.
Old Feb 23, 15, 11:14 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
Why don't you just wear them on the plane? I'm a New Yorker by origin and think nothing of wearing sneakers with business-wear and then changing into better shoes when you get where you are going. BTW, do you have to wear biz clothes on the plane? I never do unless I'm going right into a meeting
Old Mar 1, 15, 9:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Design your own shoes!

While at Nordstrom last week got to see/try shoesofprey They enable you to design your own pair of shoes, fabrics, leather, height, etc. They aren't that pricey imo and there is a current coupon going on for 15 pounds (UK).
Old Mar 5, 15, 12:39 pm

Programs: WN Companion Pass, HH Gold, SPG Gold
I have these and LOVE them, they've pretty much replaced my regular sneakers for everything. Puma Asha Alt 2... I've worn them all over Europe, the US, bike riding... I really don't think they look bad "dressed up." They've been the best option for a "one shoe trip" that I've found. In fact, I need to order another pair!

http://us.puma.com/en_US/pd/asha-alt...lor=06#start=7

Search this Thread