on travel days do you dress down?

Old Apr 17, 14, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
on travel days do you dress down?

I was just curious about how you dress on "travel only" days. Ususally 1 or 2 days a week I am just flying in somewhere and doing phone work, often I wear jeans and flip flops or sneakers. Does anyone dress up just to fly??
Old Apr 17, 14, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Nope. I like being comfortable. In the past I wore casual pants, running pants, sweats, that sort of thing. But this year I've been flying in a convertible maxi skirt and love it!!

It's just as comfy as my pants and looks a lot nicer since it can be dressed up or down.
Old Apr 18, 14, 8:57 am
Original Poster

a maxi skirt sounds nice and comfy
Old Apr 18, 14, 9:01 am

I travel in dress slacks and a blouse. I find that I get treated better when I do, or maybe I just project more confidence and therefore get treated better...i don't know.
Old Apr 18, 14, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
I almost never travel with jeans - nor travel in them. Not my style, and they can be heavy, and take a long time to dry. I also don't like to travel (fly) in a skirt - no matter the length. The past few years, I've been flying in ponte knit pants, slim fit. They're fine if I'm in the office but are comfy for sitting on a plane too. I work in academic research so I can be casual (ironically, I am wearing jeans in my office as I type this) I think people should wear what they *need* to wear for their offices, and what is personally comfortable for travel (which will vary for each of us)

I don't think I ever consciously "dress down" unless I'm working in the garden, though I think I understand what you mean by that in a non-pejorative way
Old Apr 18, 14, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

its funny, I dress up so much for work that I LOVE wearing jeans on my travel days, but when I dress up I actually feel more confident like someone else mentioned. interesting
Old Apr 19, 14, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I travel for pleasure. I dress in smart casual and usually dressy sandals. My outfit is comfy. I'd never wear high heels, stockings and dressy trousers. So restrictive.
Old Apr 19, 14, 4:32 am

Programs: Plat QFF, Gold AA, Silverseas Venetian.
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I travel for pleasure. I dress in smart casual and usually dressy sandals. My outfit is comfy. I'd never wear high heels, stockings and dressy trousers. So restrictive.

Me too, except for dressy sandals I wear dressy low wedges.

Although our next trip is going to be a challenge - I recently broke my leg and ankle and I am currently still in a moon boot. Upcoming RTW - basically everywhere is a long haul flight from Aust !! I just hope that I will be out of the moon boot - but I have to plan ahead as if I will be still in the damn thing.
Old Apr 19, 14, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Off-topic:

Originally Posted by rojaan View Post

Although our next trip is going to be a challenge - I recently broke my leg and ankle and I am currently still in a moon boot. Upcoming RTW - basically everywhere is a long haul flight from Aust !! I just hope that I will be out of the moon boot - but I have to plan ahead as if I will be still in the damn thing.
I broke my leg & ankle last summer & ended up w/ a DVT (blood clot) due to the fractures/ended up in the emergency room & was on blood thinners for 7 months. I'm still taking a baby aspirin daily. I'd talk to your doc before the long hauls & come up w/ a plan to help prevent DVT. S/he may suggest baby aspirin or, if you're out of the moon boot, compression stockings. I now wear the compression stockings when I fly.

Have fun on your trip!

Cheers.
Old Apr 19, 14, 5:42 pm

Programs: Plat QFF, Gold AA, Silverseas Venetian.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
[U] S/he may suggest baby aspirin or, if you're out of the moon boot, compression stockings. I now wear the compression stockings when I fly.
Have fun on your trip!
Cheers.

Thanks for that, I am already on the low dose aspirin, and I have the stockings from when I was in hospital, so I take those as well for the plane trips.
Old Apr 21, 14, 7:43 am

Rojann, good luck on your upcoming travels!

When I travel for business I dress for business but I still dress comfortably. I have a wonderful pair of trousers with a bit of lycra in the mix. Pretty much wrinkle proof and non restricting no matter what position I contort myself into. Paired with a blazer I can wear anything from a button down to a tank underneath and I can go right to the office from the airport (or vice versa).
Old Apr 22, 14, 5:23 am

Whether for business or pleasure, I'm pretty much a crisp collar and pearls girl either way. So I usually go with slacks and a white or pink non-iron dress shirt, which lets me arrive mostly wrinkle free and looking nice and crisp!
Old Apr 22, 14, 7:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I'm all about comfort when I travel, so casual but respectable clothing, i.e. no tube tops. The one time I dressed up for a 90 minute flight because I had a meeting to get to upon landing it was not the most comfortable experience. Yes, I felt more confident in my business attire but it wasn't entirely necessary.
Old Apr 25, 14, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH
Never jeans for travel - I just can't get comfy in them. Slacks, capris, are my go-to, unless I'm in C or F, then it's a longer loose skirt. I've found layers are always good regardless of the cabin or length of flight.
Old Apr 28, 14, 4:56 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Ritz-Carlton Rewards Silver, Le Club Accor Silver
I tend not to wear jeans on the plane -- even the most comfortable jeans are a bit too constricting on the plane, ime. I travel in comfortable slacks -- St. John is my go-to brand, whether their knitwear, if I am going straight to a more business type event when I get off the flight, or their various versions of leggings. I have two pairs that are a cross between leggings and slacks (essentially, they pull up, like leggings, but are thicker, and not totally skintight, so fit more like slacks). I can pair them up with a sweater or dress them up with a tank and a jacket.

Search this Thread