Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Do you carry your camera in a separate bag?

Old Jan 9, 14, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG

Now when I travel, I need to have my camera ready all the time (I take photos for my blog). I haven't really figured out a great solution on how to carry it though. It's a Sony NEX mirrorless, so it's bigger than a regular point and shoot but much smaller than a DSLR.

I'm not sure if I should go for one of those purses with built in camera compartments (but they seem to have pockets that are too big and designed for dslr's) or just use a separate bag for the camera. Or just put the camera in some kind of padded pouch and drop it in a tote bag. I like cross body, light and small.

What do you ladies use?
Old Jan 10, 14, 7:31 pm

I use a neoprene sleeve type of case from OpTech and put it into whichever bag I'm using. It is a little harder to "be at the ready" as I must remove my camera from the sleeve but allows me to use all the space in my bag. If you really do need to be taking photos the instant your eye spots it like with street photog where the subject will disappear, this might not be the best choice for you. Not attracting unwanted attention to my gear is a safety measure. Also, the more bags I carry, the more likely I'll split my attention and lose one.

There's also padded camera inserts which double as purse organizers like these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/icode-Cube-M...item33854920ae
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ciesta-C...item3cce5fe06e

You could also just get a slightly padded cross body/satchel and use a purse organizer to keep the rest of the stuff from falling on your camera. A camera will probably suffer more damage from falling from your hand to the ground than riding around in a designated lightly padded safe spot in your purse, just like a smartphone/tablet, unless you drop or whack your purse. Or put liquids in it.
Old Jan 17, 14, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG
freecia, thanks for the links-- I didn't even know about the padded inserts. I will probably try different options depending on what I'm doing and how many photos I plan to take-- I agree, less bags, less things to lose track of.
Old Sep 28, 14, 6:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I have a perfectly good padded Lowe Pro camera bag designed for my prosumer camera model with compartments for batteries, cards, etc. and a retractable rain cover. I used this excellent bag for exactly one trip after which felt it was too big and bulky on its own to carry around. Also too inconvenient to remove every time I wanted to take a photo.

Now I just tuck it into my travel purse or back pack that have slight padding. Hardly any damage after 7 years.
Old Oct 28, 14, 7:04 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
I do the opposite. When traveling with my camera, I use my smaller camera bag as my day bag and put my wallet and other essentials in one of the compartments. I have a Crumpler (million dollar home I think it's called) and it's canvas so doesn't really look like a camera bag which makes me feel safer carrying around my expensive equipment. Plenty of room for the camera and all the rest and very well padded in case of a drop..
Old Jan 13, 15, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: none
I'm surprised anyone still carries a camera - not trying to be mean
Old Jan 13, 15, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by sherocks View Post
Not everyone is satisfied with cell phone quality photos. Photography is a very popular hobby, especially among those who travel a lot.
Old Jan 14, 15, 12:14 pm

If I'm also toting lenses, I'll stick them in the appropriately-sized Crumpler Haven, which goes into whatever bag I'm carrying.
Old Jan 18, 15, 8:22 pm

Oh, there's a definite difference between the photos I can take with my DSLR vs my iPhone. And that difference matters to me - it might not matter to you, though.

I also use a camera bag to carry my personal things like a wallet and sunglasses. My preference is a Lowepro Passport Sling, which I can wear across body like a messenger bag, and has room for not just my camera stuff (camera/extra data cards/filters) but also for my wallet, sunglasses, map, water bottle, etc.

http://store.lowepro.com/ca/passport-sling-iii-ca

Last edited by Calliopeflyer; Jan 18, 15 at 8:22 pm Reason: type
Old Jan 18, 15, 10:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer View Post
I also use a camera bag to carry my personal things like a wallet and sunglasses. My preference is a Lowepro Passport Sling, which I can wear across body like a messenger bag, and has room for not just my camera stuff (camera/extra data cards/filters) but also for my wallet, sunglasses, map, water bottle, etc.

http://store.lowepro.com/ca/passport-sling-iii-ca
That's a nice combo sling bag.

I have since acquired a Canon EOS Rebel SL1, ring flash and macro lens for work documentation purposes but plan on using it when traveling. For this I bought the Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L. The thing I like about this bag is that the camera gear is only accessible from the backside that rests against my back so it's more secure. Plus it has space for non-camera gear and a padded divided removable camera pouch.

http://store.lowepro.com/ca/backpack...back-22l-aw-ca
Old Jan 19, 15, 8:45 am

That Sling III looks nice. I tried the original Sling and ended up returning it before using it and now can't recall why. I may have to take the III for a spin.

FYI for anyone looking for a Lowepro Sling, check out bhphotovideo.com - much better prices than from Amazon or Lowepro direct sites. Also Best Buy will price match to B&H if you prefer to check it out in person before buying (for those not near B&H in NYC)
Old Feb 13, 15, 10:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue,Liberty Lifestyle Rewards
I've got a DKNY cross body bag that is huge. I keep my DSLR in it when I travel as i feel i look less like a tourist and more like a local without the camera bag.
Old Feb 14, 15, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by freecia View Post
There's also padded camera inserts which double as purse organizers
I use a padded insert/purse organizer like that when I'm carrying my camera (another Micro 4/3). Got it off Etsy a few years ago, and I've definitely made good use of it! My biggest conundrum now is how to carry both a camera and a water bottle in there without worrying about the water bottle leaking, since the sections of the insert aren't divided in any waterproof kind of way.
Old Feb 14, 15, 1:49 pm

Just in case it comes up, I also initially tried the Lowepro Streamline 250 Shoulder Bag, which is described as a Micro 4/3 body plus lenses bag. I loved the idea but found that the camera compartment was way too snug for me to feel comfortable using it (I have an Olympus E-M10 camera). I would love to find a similar alternative, though!
Old Feb 25, 15, 2:28 am

Wow. Just wow.

The photos from my DSLR are a 1000x better than my iPhone will ever take.

OP I use a camera handbag.
http://pixelandgretel.com/image/cach...7-677x800.jpeg

This is the one I have. It fits my DSLR with lens attached, spare lens, wallet, phone, iPad, lip balm, mints etc. It's not very deep either.

Absolutely love this bag.

Search this Thread