Buying clothes and shoes in Europe

Old Nov 9, 13, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Buying clothes and shoes in Europe

Whenever I travel to a new place, I usually don't bring enough clothes to last the trip as I can always count on buying new ones Are most ladies here this way too?

1. Where would I find coupons/promos for clothing shops in London and Paris? Are prices usually cheaper online or in-store? (Clothing shops I'm interested in: Topshop, Next, New Look, Lacoste and whatever I might come across during my trip)

2. Are there any good factory outlets in London, Paris and Italy that carry women's clothing and shoes?
Old Nov 10, 13, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given how ridiculously bloated the VAT is, I hold back unless something really grabs my attention. I'll then get the VAT reimbursed at the airport. In addition, I also pack lightly as I rely on a carry-on pullman since it is not worth it to me to check a bag.
Old Nov 12, 13, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise View Post
Given how ridiculously bloated the VAT is, I hold back unless something really grabs my attention. I'll then get the VAT reimbursed at the airport. In addition, I also pack lightly as I rely on a carry-on pullman since it is not worth it to me to check a bag.
Agree with ya on the high VAT, but I'm pretty sure UK clothing brands will cost less in England than where I live (Indonesia).
Old Nov 12, 13, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hightide View Post
Agree with ya on the high VAT, but I'm pretty sure UK clothing brands will cost less in England than where I live (Indonesia).
That's telling! At least you can get the VAT reimbursed.
Old Nov 16, 13, 9:02 am

I'm not enough of a shopper to have ever counted on buying clothes in a new city. I do pack relatively light and generally have a little room for bargains I might come across. And if the exchange is favorable, some of what I bring will be older and not beloved - toss-able if I need even more space.
I've happened into off-price stores in Paris, not interested in going to the 'burbs, but the author of this is more on your wavelength: http://www.examiner.com/article/wher...d-depot-ventes.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 19, 13, 9:20 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AC/AS
I can't help you there with outlets.

When I was there in late summer, I didn't have to look hard for bargains. Just about everything I wanted was 40% to half off, everything from Zadig & Voltaire clothing to Minelli shoe wear. It was leather goods heaven.

Luxury brand-wise, after VAT reimbursement, I usually find that I've still saved at least 20%+.
Old Nov 20, 13, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Pan and dewi!
Old Nov 21, 13, 4:42 pm

There are McArthurGlen and Chic Outlet Shopping Villages and other outlet malls all over Europe. They tend to be far outside major urban areas, although there are busses and the high end one outside Paris is easy to reach via RER and next to a fairly decent regular shopping mall.

But don't expect prices to be decent compared to North America for instance.

In some countries sales are mainly in January and July, although in France now it is more common to have short term sales at certain times only in the year. Coupons are not something common here.

Next is fairly limited in sales; if you don't live in country you can do store ordering but not delivery to home. By the time things go on sale, selection is severely limited. Watch their FB page for details on upcoming sale periods.

Also if you are outside a limited range of 'normal' sizes, ie petite, or tall, or over a US size 12/14, or have feet 42 or larger, don't expect much selection at all, or pay dearly for it.

I tend to do a lot of online shopping from Amazon.de/fr/co.uk or Zalando as they have better sale prices than the shops on brand name items.
Old Nov 22, 13, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exbayern View Post
There are McArthurGlen and Chic Outlet Shopping Villages and other outlet malls all over Europe. They tend to be far outside major urban areas, although there are busses and the high end one outside Paris is easy to reach via RER and next to a fairly decent regular shopping mall.

But don't expect prices to be decent compared to North America for instance.

In some countries sales are mainly in January and July, although in France now it is more common to have short term sales at certain times only in the year. Coupons are not something common here.

Next is fairly limited in sales; if you don't live in country you can do store ordering but not delivery to home. By the time things go on sale, selection is severely limited. Watch their FB page for details on upcoming sale periods.

Also if you are outside a limited range of 'normal' sizes, ie petite, or tall, or over a US size 12/14, or have feet 42 or larger, don't expect much selection at all, or pay dearly for it.

I tend to do a lot of online shopping from Amazon.de/fr/co.uk or Zalando as they have better sale prices than the shops on brand name items.
Thank you for the details
I reckon I'm normal sized... from the limited UK brands I have bought, I tend to take a UK size 6 for tops and UK size 10 for bottoms.
Old Nov 22, 13, 4:28 am

You're lucky. Shoes in my size rarely exist in Paris I can't order any of those cute shoes from Boden. Usually Zalando and Amazon have extremely limited stock in my size.

Being 'unusual' sizing is tough. You should be fine, however.

If you are interested in Next, go online, find the item numbers you want, check if they are instock online, then go to a store and do the next day delivery. It's an easy way to 'shop' from the catalogue without going through their onerous account creation, which you won't be able to do anyways without a UK address if you are trying to do UK delivery.
Old Nov 22, 13, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exbayern View Post
You're lucky. Shoes in my size rarely exist in Paris I can't order any of those cute shoes from Boden. Usually Zalando and Amazon have extremely limited stock in my size.

Being 'unusual' sizing is tough. You should be fine, however.

If you are interested in Next, go online, find the item numbers you want, check if they are instock online, then go to a store and do the next day delivery. It's an easy way to 'shop' from the catalogue without going through their onerous account creation, which you won't be able to do anyways without a UK address if you are trying to do UK delivery.
Thanks, that's a brilliant idea!

I love Boden! Their RAF programme was a great way to offset the exorbitant prices. I know Boden USA run warehouse sales once in a blue moon in Pennsylvania. Hopefully wishing to encounter that in the UK, but I know it's unlikely.

Out of curiosity, what is considered petite in Europe? At 164cm and UK size 6-10, I'm far from petite for an Asian female.
Old Nov 22, 13, 12:01 pm

Here's the list of Boden UK warehouse sale dates http://www.journeytostyle.com/boden-...locations.html

I don't know if petite really exists as much in western Europe as in the US; I think that in the US 160cm is generally the definition of petite. (I'm well, well above that so not entirely certain)

I am always so sad that I can't shop for any clothes or shoes in Asia. I've heard that M&S does very good business n Asia due to the sizes they carry there (not that it's my style) I have been laughed out a few shoe stores in Asia so I don't even bother anymore
Old Dec 6, 13, 1:02 pm

I realise that the thread is about clothes and shoes, but I think that handbags also fall into that.

The January and July sales in Paris can be excellent time to shop for brands such as Longchamp, or luggage such as Jump (also does handbags) and Lipault.

Some tips:
- buy early; best prices sell out quickly at the start of the sale period
- for best prices at Galeries Lafayette skip the Longchamp store aimed at tourists on the main level, and go up to the luggage level for Longchamp products. You will also find Jump and Lipault at decent prices here
- Lipault store does excellent sale prices; I listed a few from the July sales on the 'lightest carry on thread'
- the actual Longchamp store has few sales items; usually just a few seasonal products and little le Pliage
- sale prices will generally be on seasonal colours and not the entire range of product
- Printemps often has great sales prices, but it tends to be a little more 'wild' shopping there I find during the sales compared to the bag/luggage level at Galeries Lafayette
- don't overlook online and house brands. I like a lot of Galeries Lafayette house brand bags, scarves, gloves etc and often they are sold out at the main location, but still available online with quick shipping

Search this Thread