FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   Ladies -- What is your travel wardrobe? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/1511559-ladies-what-your-travel-wardrobe.html)

ysolde Oct 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Ladies -- What is your travel wardrobe?

Whether you travel for business or pleasure (or a little of both), whether you are a road warrior or a retiree, whatever your budget or style, please share with us what you cannot live without and what you have learned to discard in your travels!

Your wisdom, wit, and knowledge is greatly appreciated . . .

ysolde Oct 12, 2013 6:00 pm

As for me, I try to keep it down to one small suitcase (small enough to qualify as a carry-on). My travel wardrobe tends to be simple:

One pair of jeans (yes, I know they are considered bulky, but they are versatile)
One pair skinny, stretchy pants (usually worn on plane)
One dress (to be dressed up or down)
One skirt
Four tops
Blazer
Cardigan
One tank top
Two Nightshirts
Two pairs of shoes plus pair worn on plane
Five bras and panties
Five pairs of tights (if weather appropriate)
Wear basic jewelry
Two or three silk scarves
(311 bag of toiletries
Hairbrush
Travel make-up -- Trish MacEvoy is good at this
Solid perfume
Toothbrush
Medication
iPad, iPhone, chargers
Ladies' "stuff" . . . )

Consultette Oct 13, 2013 2:55 pm

I also travel with a carry-on that usually has the following:
1 pair of slacks
1 skirt
1 dress (may substitute with another pair of slacks)
1 pair of jeans
3 pairs of workout tights/pants (one worn on plane)
4 work tops
2 "casual" tops
2 sweaters
1 hoodie (worn on plane)
5 workout tops (1 worn on plane - I also use these to sleep in with panties)
3 sports bras
1 pair of pumps, usually in a punchy color (this week is burgundy, last week was dove grey) and I make the rest of my wardrobe a "capsule" to work with the heels, bag I bring and scarf
1 pair of comfortable walking shoes (usually moccasins or Sanuks - worn on plane)
1 computer bag & computer
1 scarf
1 pair gloves
1 pair of flip flops
1 coat
1 collapsible tote which scrunches up into a purse
Panties and bras needed for outfits

This changes based upon the city I'm going to - my bag for Philly looks very different vs. my current travel bag for NY. As it continues to cool down the workout clothes will pretty much disappear and I will start just walking the city for exercise - the flip flops will stay at home and some knee high riding boots will be worn on the plane.

PS I know it sounds like a lot to cram everything in one suitcase (my boarding tote is full of medications, books, papers, etc.) but space bags are a lifesaver.

OzBarb Oct 13, 2013 3:03 pm

I go carryon only, and with the 7kg limit here that isn't easy. Being tall and fat makes it even harder so for me, it's all about the fabric; light weight, stretchy, non-sweaty, washable and crease-resistant. Nowadays that mostly means fine merino or cashmere, supplex, fine jersey knits or nylon mesh.

If I'm packed for a week, I'm packed for a month, or longer. Layers are my friends.

For winter I take a pair of boots, walking shoes and thin leather flats and in summer, walking shoes, sandals and a pair of thongs (flip flops).

3-4 bottoms, one a skirt, 6 tops, 2-4 short-sleeved, 1-2 tunics or dresses, merino or cashmere cardi, jacket or waterproof shell with zip out fleece, 2-3 bras, 5 knickers 2 camisoles, 2-3 socks (frequently merino). i have at least one tunic or dress and leggings made of wicking fabric and always take a pashmina, a sarong and my bathers. Sun hat or beret, gloves as appropriate.

What I took on my recent five week, four continent trip is up on my blog at http://ozbarb.wordpress.com/2013/08/

Carol Margolis Oct 16, 2013 8:03 pm

What's in my typical carryon, whether for a short domestic trip or a multi-week international visit, is shown at
http://smartwomentravelers.com/2011/...to-my-luggage/
http://smartwomentravelers.com/2013/...-your-packing/

My challenge to myself each week as I pack is "how can I reduce just a little more weight?"

megan Oct 19, 2013 3:18 pm

For in-flight clothing, I go for a layered, loose approach. If the flight is overnight I will wear a top with a built-in bra (no underwire) under a sweatshirt with loose, microfiber pants.

PanAmFT Nov 13, 2013 12:57 pm

One thing I can't live without on any trip: ballet flats. They take up almost no space, go with dress or casual wear, are great for all but very long walks, are comfy slippers and do for most workouts. Those plus one pair of dress footwear with a little heel max(leather boots, pumps or slides depending on the season) can easily get me through most business trips.

I also can't live without a small folding umbrella unless I'm going to where it's dry season with virtually zero chance of rain, and nice out when I depart for it. And my "must-have" toiletries include top-quality antiperspirant and panty liners, especially when I'm planning to re-wear anything.

My business travel wardrobe looks almost like Ysolde's, with a few exceptions. I usually skip the jeans in favor of a pair of dress slacks. I don't bring nightshirts, I do bring a couple of plain solid color T-shirts and an extra pair of leggings, and I swap the tank for a camisole with a shelf bra. Besides for sleeping, those all work for exercising and/or casual wear if I need to stay or travel over the weekend. I also pack a 1-piece swimsuit with a built-in bra - swimwear, a workout top, and an extra set of underwear and/or top in a pinch.

My favorite color schemes are two neutrals and one bright, for example, black, camel and red, or beige, black and turquoise. I find this maximizes the mix-and-match possibilities without being boring. I can re-wear a bottom with a different color blouse/top, swap jacket/blazer for cardigan or vice versa, add, change, or remove a scarf, and it looks like a whole new outfit.

Airdale93 Nov 13, 2013 6:50 pm

Comfortable and Relaxed

I travel in a comfortable outfit, such as sweatpants, a t-shirt, and sneakers. I keep a change of underwear and toiletries in my purse. I cannot travel without my pillow, eye mask, and gum.

hightide Nov 14, 2013 10:16 am

When travelling for a fortnight to a country in summer, I can fit everything into a carryon:

10 tops (1 long sleeve for the flight, 5 T-shirts, 1 collared blouse, 1 tank top, 1 cami, 1 boob top)

7 bottoms (1 pair of jeans/trousers for the flight, 1 below the knee length skirt, 1 knee length skirt, 1 mini skirt, 1 pair of capris, 1 bermuda shorts, 1 mid-thigh shorts)

5-7 pairs of knickers (I purposely bring some that are in very bad condition so I can trash them after wearing for the last time during the trip)

2-3 bras with one of them having removable straps

1 pair of sandals
1 pair of lace up walking shoes
A few pairs of socks

-------------------------------------------

I suddenly thought of what I might need for my spring trip in Europe-- A raincoat.

Any of you know where to buy a decent looking raincoat online to fit a pear-shaped 164cm (5'4.5'') and 52kg (114lbs)? My budget is under US$35.

ysolde Nov 14, 2013 10:53 am

For trenchcoats, try Banana Republic's sales. They do the traditional trench well, and can discount it very deeply. You might also check ebay.

sanclementeviajera Nov 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Also take a look at the website 6pm.com. They have some fantastic deals.

manneca Nov 14, 2013 4:32 pm

For plane wear (TPAC or TATL) sweat pants cut like yoga pants, Columbia shirt with two zipper pockets (holds my iPhone, kleenex, etc), fleece or sweater light sports bra. On one third of my trips: dive gear and three swimsuits (bottoms and tankini tops), dress coverup. Rest--depends on where I'm going. blue jeans or linen pants, one dress, a few Ts, ex-officio panties, If I'm not diving, it's usually a carry on size (that's what laundries are for).

hightide Nov 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks for your suggestions ysolde, sanclementeviajera and manneca. Do you whether raincoats usually become discounted after Christmas?

PanAmFT Nov 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Oh, my - shipping to Indonesia could eat up most of your budget.
I know I said I don't count on buying at my destination in another thread, but in your shoes, I'd be more inclined to bring a folding umbrella and hope for the best. Think Paris is your best shot - flea markets, resale shops (where the selection tends towards smaller sizes, and at 52 kg, you qualify), and off-price stores. One, La Clef des Marques, has a website, currently with some trench coats starting at 35 Euro (see http://laclefdesmarques.com/185-mant...ch-imper-femme). Worth re-checking for real raincoats ("impermeable" or waterproof) closer to your departure when you could easily have your purchase delivered to your hotel.

hightide Nov 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmFT (Post 21796730)
Oh, my - shipping to Indonesia could eat up most of your budget.
I know I said I don't count on buying at my destination in another thread, but in your shoes, I'd be more inclined to bring a folding umbrella and hope for the best. Think Paris is your best shot - flea markets, resale shops (where the selection tends towards smaller sizes, and at 52 kg, you qualify), and off-price stores. One, La Clef des Marques, has a website, currently with some trench coats starting at 35 Euro (see http://laclefdesmarques.com/185-mant...ch-imper-femme). Worth re-checking for real raincoats ("impermeable" or waterproof) closer to your departure when you could easily have your purchase delivered to your hotel.

I won't request shipping to Indonesia. The online order would be mailed to my cousin in usa who then hand delivers them to me when she comes to Indonesia in January. I'll be bringing a folding umbrella to Europe too.

Thanks for your shopping links on the other post- those are the type of venues I'm looking for :)