Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Recommendations, preferable in East Europe?

Old Aug 9, 13, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

I studied abroad last semester, and I took advantage of a lot of weekend trips in Europe. I was alone for most of the weekend trips, and I was fine.

Now since studies are done, I'm going back again, and I'd like some recommendations. I've been to most of western/central Europe (Ireland, UK, Lisbon, Spain, Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, Sweden, Norway).

A place I've been eyeing at is Croatia, although I'm torn between Zagreb and Dubrovnik. I also heard good things about Riga in Latvia. I wanted to know what you all particularly enjoyed and felt relatively safe (I understand that most cities are safe, I'm going more on your experiences).

Also, I'm a pretty relaxed traveler. I love to walk around, see the sights, pop in a museum or two, or hike to a vantage point to see the entire city.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 12, 13, 2:09 pm

Dubrovnik is great

To get there, you have to go through Zagreb anyway, it is small so a day or two would be enough. Dubrovnik is wonderful, and I have been to most of the places you list.
Old Aug 12, 13, 11:27 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Croatia is awesome. Haven't been to (or even through) Zagreb, but I really enjoyed the Split/Trogir area, Hvar Island, Plitvice Lakes, and definitely Dubrovnik.

If you're limited to weekends, I'd give it at least 2.
Old Aug 13, 13, 3:55 am

Seconding Croatia - it's gorgeous.

Riga is beautiful and I felt very safe there, but I found it to be very expensive.
Old Aug 14, 13, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Looks like Croatia will be a definite trip. I'll most likely see both Zagreb and Dubrovnik as I'll have the time.

Any other country recommendations?
Old Aug 14, 13, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by resjudicita View Post
Thanks. Looks like Croatia will be a definite trip. I'll most likely see both Zagreb and Dubrovnik as I'll have the time.

Any other country recommendations?
I'm in Bulgaria right now, courtesy of my company, and it has a lot of hidden gems. It's not as well-kept as the places I was at in Latvia, but the people are very friendly and welcoming. I've been to Sofia several times and am currently "stationed" in Vidin.

There are lots of natural points of interest and the area around Vidin has a number of Roman ruins that are pretty interesting.

Have fun!

Search this Thread