Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Beauty Tips Before/After Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beauty Tips Before/After Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Gold
In the old days before TSA I always brought a spray bottle of toner and periodically sprayed my face during flights of any duration. I wear foundation makeup when I get on the plane,but not powder and use face cleansing towlettes extensively both before sleeping on overnight flights and also upon awakening. I always bring cream moisturizer for overnights and apply blush and eye shadow, and mascara (I am blonde so I need the boost!) when I wake up. I don't use any foundation or BB cream when I wake up, because I like to take a shower first. Drink lots of water and avoid salt.

Oh and I forgot, take off your lenses and wear glasses during the flight, then put the lenses in when you get refreshed in the AM.

Last edited by scoow; Dec 10, 2013 at 8:06 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:42 am

I have to say that I am all about hydrating internally while flying but never thought about the external hydration. I pretty much resign myself to looking like a hag upon arrival .

Do those hydrating mists really work? I have a couple of travel size sample bottles that would meet TSA minimums. I tend to stockpile samples and gifts with purchase so that I have them for when I travel. I never thought of blotting papers, I tend to just dust a little mineral veil over my nose to keep the shine down.

The real issue is my hair, which tends towards getting matted and medusa like by the time I deplane. Any suggestions for keeping long, wavy hair in check while flying (aside from the ubiquitous pony tail)?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I get my hair blown out before a flight, and then put it into a low, loose pony to sleep in.

As for my face, I am a huge fan of the hydrating paper masks in-flight. After dinner, brush teeth, remove make-up, put on some eye cream, put on a paper mask at my seat, put my seat into a medium recline mode and enjoy a chamomile while watching a movie or something on the IFE for 15 minutes. Remove paper mask. Rub the hydrating ingredients into face, then follow up with face cream and hand cream, and a good amount of lip balm. Put seat into full bed mode. Sleep. You'd be amazed at how much of a difference it makes.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:09 pm

I've never tried the paper masques. I have found that Origins "Drink Up" is a wonder and would probably work really well for in flight.

And while I can usually sleep on a picket fence I find that I have a really difficult time sleeping on a plane. Dozing, yes, but not sleeping. Still, ysolde, your routine sounds divine. Any particular paper masque that you prefer?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Shiseido paper mask is a terrific product (the only downside is it comes in two pieces -- one for the upper face and one for the lower, so can be a little more cumbersome to use).

Shiseido Pure Retinol Intensive Revitalizing Face Mask.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:26 pm

Thanks Ysolde. Shiseido products are consistently excellent in my experience. The masques are a bit pricey but I'll wait for Sephora to have another 20% off sale. I've just ordered some of the Clarins flash balms for face and eyes so this thread is already proving hazardous! If the products work (especially the eye balm) it will be worth it.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by rsqrott
The real issue is my hair, which tends towards getting matted and medusa like by the time I deplane. Any suggestions for keeping long, wavy hair in check while flying (aside from the ubiquitous pony tail)?
Are you using a travel pillow? Some of them have rather rough covers which might contribute to the hair destruction. Perhaps you should look for one with a satin-like fabric cover (or actual silk covered). You could also try a hair serum or deep conditioner the night before flying to smooth down hair cuticles so it is less likely to get tangled.

There's also some beautiful braids which are popular right now
https://www.pinterest.com/spilltojil...braids-braids/
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:56 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I like to use paper masks too, but save the pricey stuff for home use. For travel I like the $1 paper masks sold in Korean/Japanese department stores in the beauty aisle. There are several types and I just pick the moisturizing ones. Sometimes they are sold in packs of 10 or more and you save a few cents.

There are a few individual pharmacies in NY and NJ that have these Korean products as well.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:03 pm

I just have to say that you ladies are very smart .

Originally Posted by freecia
Are you using a travel pillow? Some of them have rather rough covers which might contribute to the hair destruction. Perhaps you should look for one with a satin-like fabric cover (or actual silk covered).
I don't use a travel pillow but I'm sure the fabric of the seat back isn't doing my hair any favors. I never even thought of that! Possibly wrap my hair in a silk scarf.

Originally Posted by tcl
I like to use paper masks too, but save the pricey stuff for home use. For travel I like the $1 paper masks sold in Korean/Japanese department stores in the beauty aisle. There are several types and I just pick the moisturizing ones. Sometimes they are sold in packs of 10 or more and you save a few cents.

There are a few individual pharmacies in NY and NJ that have these Korean products as well.
Actually this is an excellent idea and I wonder if my local H Mart would have anything? I also have several Asian markets near where I grew up, I'm sure they'd be worth a look. I'm already planning to go looking for a konjac sponge.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rsqrott

Actually this is an excellent idea and I wonder if my local H Mart would have anything? I also have several Asian markets near where I grew up, I'm sure they'd be worth a look. I'm already planning to go looking for a konjac sponge.
Never heard of this konjac sponge, so googled. I am intrigued. A quick look at H Mart website shows sheet masks by Missha, $2.99 for the hyaluronic acid. I think I need to trek to this store.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by BaliParis
Never heard of this konjac sponge, so googled. I am intrigued. A quick look at H Mart website shows sheet masks by Missha, $2.99 for the hyaluronic acid. I think I need to trek to this store.
H Mart has spectacular produce and very good prices on lots of things. Definitely worth a trip. Like a combo supermarket/drugstore.

I had seen the konjac sponge at Sephora and picked one up. I like it a lot. It provides very gentle exfoliating and can be used with a cleanser or on it's own. I've had mine for several months and have not noticed it falling apart at all. Don't wring it out, just rinse well and squeeze out the water. I hang mine to dry. It really works well but I wish that I had thought of H Mart before I paid the Sephora price .
Old Dec 29, 2013, 4:32 pm

I was in my local TJ Maxx yesterday & decided to look through the cosmetics. Now I knew that they carried cosmetics but never bothered to look through them. They had boxes of facial masques for 5.99 (6 to a box) and they also had numerous Shiseido items, including the 30 count facial towelettes for 10.00. Sadly no Shiseido masques . Since TJ Maxx is hit and miss when it comes to...well pretty much anything...it can't hurt to check your local to see if they have any cosmetics that you use or travel with.

Last edited by rsqrott; Jan 2, 2014 at 7:38 am
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:31 am

OK, not wanting to stray far from the original topic but I just had to share this. Following my own advice I visited a different (ie more "upscale") TJ Maxx and found the Shiseido Pure retinol eye masques. They were around half the price that they would have been at the Shiseido counter so I figured that I'd give them a try. Flat out amazing. Ysolde, thank you so much for introducing me to this product.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: SPG
I wear a little bit of makeup on the flight-- very light base mixed with moisturizer and a little coverup (very sparingly). I keep a travel size moisturizer with me so I can glop it on over that and not need to worry about messing anything up (because I barely have nay makeup on anyway, just enough to smooth things out). I never wear mascara! But I do curl my eyelashes. I try and schedule haircuts or highlights appts right before leaving on a trip (obviously this doesn't always work out) then I have a nice blowout which looks great on arrival.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

rsqrott -- You're welcome! This is such a great place to share information and swap tips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.