Makeup leaking after flight

Old Nov 20, 12, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Makeup leaking after flight

I have a couple tubes of concealer and lotion that went haywire during a flight. Now they still constantly have liquid bubbling out (months later) and I can't figure out how to make them go back to normal. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 20, 12, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by giblet View Post
I have a couple tubes of concealer and lotion that went haywire during a flight. Now they still constantly have liquid bubbling out (months later) and I can't figure out how to make them go back to normal. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Is this in checked baggage? As long as I have my makeup in carry on, I've never had issues.. But have had problems with beauty balm 'blowing up' and the like in checked bags. As for how to fix once it's already happened... Not sure. Let it blubber out as much as it needs to then put the cap back on tightly?
Old Nov 20, 12, 9:53 am
Original Poster

I honestly don't remember if this was checked or carry-on as it happened a while ago. Now I have two tubes of (very expensive) concealer and lotion that are driving me insane because they are constantly bubbling out of the tube. I've tried everything. I should probably ask on a science forum.
Old Nov 20, 12, 11:44 am
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Are these squeeze tubes?

It sounds as if the air in the container has been pushed to the bottom of the tube, so when you open, the pressure causes the liquid to bubble out. You need to get the liquid to the bottom and the air to the top (open) end. Depending on the size of the opening, this can be easy or difficult. While the container is closed, try setting the container upright (opening pointing toward the ceiling) for a few days and the contents may settle. Otherwise, tap the container firmly on a hard, flat surface (again, opening pointing toward the top) in an effort to get the contents to the bottom. Otherwise, you'll just have to squirt enough of it out until air starts to come out.
Old Nov 20, 12, 1:18 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
You might try getting a vet syringe at the pet/farm supply store and then putting all the makeup from the tube into the syringe. Then just put the needle into the tube's opening and put it all back in. It's how I refill my travel size tubes and it works really well! The only caution is to be sure the needle you get with the syringe will fit into the opening. When I first bought mine, I took in the tube with the smallest opening and so got the best needle size. I just rinse it with water and alcohol after each "refill" and store it in my travel stuff. Oh I also use it to squirt water and alcohol into empty tubes to be sure there isn't a bunch of old makeup or cream in them. The alcohol helps them to dry - don't put the lid on for a few days.
Old Nov 26, 12, 6:34 pm

wrap lid in toilet paper or kleenex

This will not help with the bubbling issue, but to prevent makeup, cleanser, etc from leaking, even with carry-on, I wrap some toilet paper or kleenex around the opening - this has worked great. I always had foundation leak out and mess up the ziplock bag.
Old Nov 26, 12, 11:06 pm
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Platinum Pro (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
It's an air bubble issue. You need to tap the bottles with the lid on, right-side-up in the correct position to get all the bubbles up on top. Then tap verociously until most of the bubbles have made it's way. Then open the bottle. You will get some leakage at this time, but it should be a one-time occurance and the rest of it should be pressurized back to normal. (I had this happen on a facial cream.)
Old Nov 27, 12, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Learned something today! Thanks all.

One of the things I do w/ the expensive make-up, perfume, and nail polish when flying, is to scotch-tape the lids of the tube/jars/bottles to prevent them from opening & spilling in-flight (whether carry-on or checked luggage). I keep a small scotch tape thing in my luggage so I can tape at hotel for the return flight.

Cheers.

Search this Thread