Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

What's comfortable to sleep in on a plane?

Old Sep 15, 12, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold

Wondering if anyone else has this problem. Whenever I sleep on my side, in a bra, it shifts and is extremely uncomfortable to the point I dread long transoceanic flights now. Any ideas on bras that are comfortable to sleep in?
Old Sep 15, 12, 10:43 am

Programs: BA GfL
How about not a bra, but a stretchy camisole with a built-in shelf bra? Places like Victoria's Secret sell these; I have several for use with see-through blouses. They're very comfortable, at least for someone like me who is lucky/unlucky enough to be able to go commando in a pinch (or at least, in a thick, loose-fitting top!)
Old Sep 15, 12, 12:05 pm

How about a non-underwire sports bra?
Old Sep 15, 12, 12:16 pm

How about wearing something concealing and slipping "out of harness" in the bathroom? Other than that, a Wacoal non-underwire with a band one size larger than the fitters think you need is pretty darn comfortable (but not so comfortable that getting out of harness isn't a relief).
Old Sep 15, 12, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I wear these on redeye flights. Very comfy and surprised they actually offer support. They also are called genie bras.

http://www.comfortisse.com/?src=affi...Fe4-MgodBH8Amg
Old Sep 15, 12, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I wear the Bali 3036 cotton non-underwire bra for travel. It is much less restrictive than a sports bra yet has more support than the Genie/Ahh nylon knit bras and doesn't bind and pinch like an underwire. It's also CHEAP! I do wish it came in nude; it only comes in white and grey.
Old Sep 15, 12, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
They're very comfortable, at least for someone like me who is lucky/unlucky enough to be able to go commando in a pinch (or at least, in a thick, loose-fitting top!)
LOL, I am not that lucky. I need support.

I honestly never thought of non underwire bras...duh. I will try those.
Old Sep 15, 12, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
When was the last time you were fitted for bras? And how old are the bras you're wearing? A well-fitted bra should fit like a glove...almost impossible to shift. I'd suggest going to a place like Nordstrom's for a new fitting.
Old Sep 15, 12, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

I've been fitted at Nordstom and a good lingerie shop - supposedly I am fine. It's just the center wires that bunch up when I'm on my side. And these are demi bras too, I can't imagine howmuch a full coverage one would do it. Is it just me with this problem? Do most women take their bras off?
Old Sep 15, 12, 6:24 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, True Blue, Southwest, IHG
I like to travel in non-underwired bras or a coobie bra. The Coobie Comfort Bra (at the bottom of the page) seems to work well for those more generously endowed.
Old Sep 15, 12, 6:36 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
I'm quite well-endowed and prefer underwire bras for support (and comfort, ironically...) But when I do overnight flights, I do wear a non-underwire bra. Lately I've been wearing the Bali "downtime cool stretch" bra - http://www.barenecessities.com/bali-...pf_id=Bali3375

I don't like it as much as underwire in general, but it's great for flights. Sports bras are too confining, shelf bras are useless- this is a nice middle ground for me. And I can find them cheap on sale at Kohls.....
Old Sep 16, 12, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I have some oversized Lufthansa shirts/sweaters from when I flew in F. When I fly TATL, I change into one of those (and take my bra off) & wrap my pashmina around me. Before landing I put my regular top/sweater & bra back on. Keeps my clothing fresh & eliminates the uncomfortableness of trying to sleep w/ bra.

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 12, 4:14 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
32DD, I wear my bra during overnight flights, though I've probably taken it off in first class if I felt my seat had sufficient privacy.

I haven't found any demi bras that offer enough support to wear on an overnight flight. My day-to-days bras are either Wacoal (full coverage, a couple styles, all underwire) or Chantelle. You also might consider wearing a sports bra, which are designed to offer even more support.
Old Sep 16, 12, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

I bought the Bali downtime bra, also for cheap at Kohls. I'm excited to hopefully be comfortable on my next flight!

I'd love to go braless, and might consider it in F, but AA business class seats just aren't private enough, boo.
Old Sep 16, 12, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
32DD here as well. I travel in sports bras (otherwise the girls get very uncomfortable with the suitcase lifting, walking, etc) and they are great for sleeping as well. I, personally, am a fan of Lululemon's supportive bras but there are plenty of brands that are comfortable for different shapes and sizes.

Search this Thread