Maxi dress through security

Old Jun 13, 12, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Question Maxi dress through security

I'm new to the forums and I thought this might be the best place to post this question. It's pretty trivial but I'd love some help!

I fly often but I have always worn slack/shorter dresses through security, never looser garments. I've heard a couple of differing stories on maxi dresses (for those who may not be familiar, they're dresses that reach to your ankles--a lot cuter than they sound). Some girls have been pulled to the side and some have been fine walking through the scanner. I normally go through the expert lane at my airport, but I'm hesitant to do so if I'm going to be pulled to the side. I hate slowing people up.

I'd love any input! The dress itself is fairly fitted, but I'm wondering if the length will pose extra security scrutiny.
Old Jun 13, 12, 11:53 am

Programs: United 1K
I've given up wearing long dresses or skirts after having to go through secondary screening due to a long tiered skirt a year or so ago... I sure dislike eliminating some of my favorite traveling clothes, but, like you, don't want to take longer than necessary in the security line. As soon as the Trusted Traveler makes it to my home airport, IAD, I'm signing up - then will try wearing a maxi again!
Old Jun 13, 12, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by collegenonsense View Post
I'm new to the forums and I thought this might be the best place to post this question. It's pretty trivial but I'd love some help!

I fly often but I have always worn slack/shorter dresses through security, never looser garments. I've heard a couple of differing stories on maxi dresses (for those who may not be familiar, they're dresses that reach to your ankles--a lot cuter than they sound). Some girls have been pulled to the side and some have been fine walking through the scanner. I normally go through the expert lane at my airport, but I'm hesitant to do so if I'm going to be pulled to the side. I hate slowing people up.

I'd love any input! The dress itself is fairly fitted, but I'm wondering if the length will pose extra security scrutiny.
In the Skirts For Sightseeing thread there is a lot of back and forth commentary on wearing skirts or dresses through security. It's not been too much of a concern for me but I seem to be in the minority in that category as others are having issues. It is definitely a consideration on how you dress when going through security.
Old Jun 13, 12, 5:18 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
What airport? Yeah, if there's too much "coverage," it looks suspicious, and you get patted down. I don't wear maxi dresses, you know, the 70s are over, but I wear oversized pajamas and I've been pulled aside for a patdown for that reason. It doesn't really hold up the line, or at least at MSY it doesn't, because it comes up pretty often, and they have sufficient female screeners. I say wear what you like and just leave a little time if you're worried. I would rather wear my PJs and be comfortable for the plane, than to wear something more form-fitting that makes the TSA happier because they can see my body contours better. A patdown, you're uncomfortable for like 30 seconds. But during a flight, if you're wearing the form-fitting jeans or whatever that makes TSA happy, you're uncomfortable for hours. So that's my vote. You are "not slowing people up." If they're worried about me slowing them up, I always tell them to please step around me.

If you frequently fly through an airport with not enough female staff, I guess it would be a consideration.

Old Jun 13, 12, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! Peach, thanks for voicing my reaction. I'm flying out of BNA super early for a warm place (vacation). I'm also always extra early to the airport and don't mind going through the body scanners or being patted down (as a college student I've never gotten stopped, TSA agents are always friendly asking if I'm heading home). Anyways, I say the body scanner thing because quite a lot of the Google search hits I found on long dresses and skirts consisted of people who decline the scanner and often even wore some kind of leggings underneath. That's what made it difficult to sort through. Thanks again!
Old Jun 14, 12, 11:43 am

Programs: UA
peachfront, maxi-dresses are actually back in style. I'm really glad, as I love super long skirts and had a difficult time finding ones long enough until recently.

And welcome to FT, collegenonsense.
Old Jun 15, 12, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peachfront View Post
What airport? Yeah, if there's too much "coverage," it looks suspicious, and you get patted down. I don't wear maxi dresses, you know, the 70s are over, but I wear oversized pajamas and I've been pulled aside for a patdown for that reason. It doesn't really hold up the line, or at least at MSY it doesn't, because it comes up pretty often, and they have sufficient female screeners. I say wear what you like and just leave a little time if you're worried. I would rather wear my PJs and be comfortable for the plane, than to wear something more form-fitting that makes the TSA happier because they can see my body contours better. A patdown, you're uncomfortable for like 30 seconds. But during a flight, if you're wearing the form-fitting jeans or whatever that makes TSA happy, you're uncomfortable for hours. So that's my vote. You are "not slowing people up." If they're worried about me slowing them up, I always tell them to please step around me.

If you frequently fly through an airport with not enough female staff, I guess it would be a consideration.
You wear PJs in the airport? As in when you are walking through, as opposed to actually on the plane? Do you not get funny looks?
Old Jun 15, 12, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
I personally find it ironic that someone who states they wear oversize pajamas for travel says that maxidresses shouldn't be worn because they're from the 70s. But whatever

I rarely wear skirts or dresses for travel - I want to cover my parts no matter how I'm reaching or bending, don't want a long skirt to drag or get caught in suitcase wheels, and I don't want bare skin on airplane seats....The couple of times I have worn skirts/dresses through security, I didn't have a follow-up pat down - but my data points are few and far between....
Old Jun 15, 12, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What an unfortunate name. Maxi dress? Sounds like maxi pad.
Old Jun 16, 12, 4:12 am
Original Poster

For reference: Well, I'm siting at my gate. No hassle, no issues, and even the TSA ladies complimented my dress! I'm excited to be comfortable on my flight.
Old Jun 16, 12, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Here's something to extinguish the "maxi dress, ew" thing. http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...20&bih=356#i=3
Old Jun 16, 12, 11:54 am

Here's something to extinguish the "maxi dress, ew" thing. http://www.google.com/search?tbm=
That link didn't work for me. I am guessing based on the search it is this dress. I love maxi dresses, they are great to wear in Texas in the summer.

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Jun 16, 12 at 12:04 pm
Old Jun 17, 12, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I've given up skirts in favor of slacks due to TSA 'issues' I wear a basic no-frills top.

I was also not allowed on an escalator in Singapore when wearing a long skirt as the guard believed my skirt would get caught in the machine.

Sad to say, but for many of us travel attire is not as much fun as it used to be.
Old Jun 21, 12, 6:23 am

Hmmm good to know. I just got a cute Maxi dress and was thinking about wearing on an upcoming transatlantic flight since it's comfy. Rethinking that now. I don't want anyone touching me.
Old Jun 21, 12, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I never heard of them until I read about them in this thread. Now I am seeing them here and there especially since the weather has become so morbidly oppressive.

Still, they look so unflattering on a woman even if it's a Calvin Klein dress from Nordstrom or someplace else.

Search this Thread