Travel Razor

Old Jun 9, 12, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Travel Razor

Years ago at a Body Shop in Europe, I bought a travel razor that looked a lot like this one:

http://www.acquiremag.com/life/body/...avel-razor.php

Of course, I never did find replacement cartridges for it, so it wasn't as useful as I'd have hoped. I was wondering if anyone knew of a travel razor in this style, but perhaps less expensive than the one in the link. I haven't found any, but I'm hoping I've overlooked something.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 10, 12, 3:54 am

What is it that you like about that particular razor? Shape, size, weight, handling?

My point is that the space and weight saving potential on a wet razor is VERY minimal in the absolute. Whether you carry one or two ounces more or less, you won't notice. But you will notice when you cut yourself or get a bad shave.

This is why I usually recommend, as a man to women, to use a man's razor. Why? The blades are often cheaper AND of better quality (better cut and longer lasting). Because there is less plastic around them (compared to Gillette Venus for example), small areas can be shaved better and safely so. Replacement blades are also often even easier to get.

Every single lady I have advised to do so thanked me profusely for that tip, which makes me just the happier. None went back to a lady's razor, as far as I can tell.

So unless there was something that you really, really liked about that particular razor, I wouldn't worry about it. Just get a good men's razor and use it at home and while traveling. The added advantage is that you don't need to get used to a different razor and a different way of shaving. Also, you can buy blades in larger quantities because you only need to be a single kind. That makes things cheaper again.

What I don't cease to recommend is the Schick Quattro Titanium. You can look it up on the Travel Razor post in the Travel Products section of the forum. Fantastic shave. Around $2 per blade. But, contrary to the G. Fusion where I got maybe 10 shaves out of one blade ($2.50 or more), I get 25-30 shaves out of a Schick QT. The included trimmer on the razor is great to trim body hair or side burns.

Finally, who doesn't like shaving with a QT?

Till

P.S. I have had that shaver you posted. Close to useless.
Old Jun 11, 12, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=tfar;18730011]What is it that you like about that particular razor? Shape, size, weight, handling?]

Easier to pack, and I didn't have a problem with the Body Shop one I had. My regular razor is fine, but it takes up more space, especially because I have to keep the blade cartridge in its case when I'm traveling (it doesn't have a cover otherwise).

P.S. I have had that shaver you posted. Close to useless.
What was the problem you had with it, if you don't mind my asking?
Old Jun 12, 12, 12:51 am

Kimberly, the problem I had with that razor was that the ergonomics didn't work for me. I couldn't control it well enough and see well enough shaving under the nose for example. Also the quality of the blades wasn't good. The blades make an enormous difference.

That's another advantage of the Schick QT I recommend. The blades have a tiny little cover that just slips over the blade itself. Works great. Not every blade comes with its own cover but you can reuse them forever. Check it out the next time you go grocery shopping or to the drugstore. You'll see what I mean.

Besides, You could also just wrap some toilet paper around the blade. All you want is to keep it away from objects that could damage the blade.

One more thing. The Schick QT has a protective grid over it. That means that the risk of cutting yourself even on very soft skin is minimal unless you press really way to hard.

And the little extra blade on the back of it is ideal to shave under the nose or under the lower lip or in the corners of the mouth where the quadruple blade is too large.

Till
Old Jun 15, 12, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfar View Post
Kimberly, the problem I had with that razor was that the ergonomics didn't work for me. I couldn't control it well enough and see well enough shaving under the nose for example. Also the quality of the blades wasn't good. The blades make an enormous difference.

That's another advantage of the Schick QT I recommend. The blades have a tiny little cover that just slips over the blade itself. Works great. Not every blade comes with its own cover but you can reuse them forever. Check it out the next time you go grocery shopping or to the drugstore. You'll see what I mean.

Besides, You could also just wrap some toilet paper around the blade. All you want is to keep it away from objects that could damage the blade.

One more thing. The Schick QT has a protective grid over it. That means that the risk of cutting yourself even on very soft skin is minimal unless you press really way to hard.

And the little extra blade on the back of it is ideal to shave under the nose or under the lower lip or in the corners of the mouth where the quadruple blade is too large.

Till
Whilst i have never used a razor on my face, I do agree that the QT is a good razor - (I use the trimming blade for other areas!), and it travels with me. Two ways of protecting the blade - you can travel with the blade in the plastic case (with or without other blades) and then attach it when you get to your destination, or the single razors are packed with a small plastic cover over the blade - it is in no means sturdy, but it is sufficient to pop over the blades before putting in your washbag to protect the blade (and your bag!)
Old Jun 16, 12, 12:00 am

Thanks, Emma. What you are describing is exactly the little slip cover I meant.

I have forgotten to put mine on numerous times. Never to any ill effect. I now use almost exclusively zip lock bags as my toiletry cases, when I fly with only hand luggage. Clean, cheap, very light, see-through. One for liquids and one for hardware like razor and brush.

I really find the electric trimmer that's included much more useful than the silly handle vibrator on the Gillette models. But the real reason that Gillette started using batteries in manual wet razors is that they own Duracell. So now they are fooling their customers twice, once on the blades and once more on the batteries.

Till
Old Oct 25, 12, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Question: How do you pack your razor, be it Mach 3, Fusion or Schick? Do you use a case? Do you just drop it in a ziploc bag with all the other stuff?
Old Oct 25, 12, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Originally Posted by docmoney View Post
Question: How do you pack your razor, be it Mach 3, Fusion or Schick? Do you use a case? Do you just drop it in a ziploc bag with all the other stuff?
I have a nylon eagle creek (I think...) shower bag - for airplane travel, it holds non-liquids only (liquids go in the ziploc) I just stick my razor in that shower bag. (I actually have several toiletry kits - I love bags but no matter what I'm using - that's where the razor goes.

Search this Thread