1 ziploc bag?

Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

1 ziploc bag?

What are you putting in your ziploc bag? I have mine that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond and already have it stuffed and I have more things I need to add.

Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:02 pm

I end up with very few things in my ziploc and some of those could probably even be left out without problem (mascara, lipstick, etc.)

I have a small tube of my usual face moisturizer because I won't risk my skin going crazy on me if I change it up. Sometimes I'll have a small bottle of eye makeup remover if I'm doing a "water vacation" and plan on using waterproof mascara. There's also always been a small travel tube of toothpaste in there, but I might get rid of that soon too. I might also throw in a small bottle of anti-bacterial hand sanitizer, but that's easily replaced by wipes.

Other than that, I've pretty much switched to solids. I completely recommend Lush for solid products. I have their solid shampoo (Gentle Lentil) which I love, a solid massage bar which acts as a body lotion for me, and even a solid perfume (Lust - love the jasmine scent). On my last trip to Lush, I picked up the Toothy Tabs to try, but have only used one once when I got home. I'll have to see if they make the cut as a permanent replacement for toothpaste. For makeup, I've gone to a powder foundation from Sephora which works surprisingly well for me considering I have adult acne, oily t-zone, and rosacea.

I find that with the Gentle Lentil shampoo, I don't need a hair conditioner, but if I ever did, I'd just make due with whatever the hotel had or pop out to a drugstore for a cheap one.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Stars4SA
What are you putting in your ziploc bag? I have mine that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond and already have it stuffed and I have more things I need to add.
I am by the concept of buying a ziploc bag at BB&B.

My Acme-brand ziploc, pulled from the box in my kitchen drawer, contains a tiny tube of toothpaste, a tiny bottle of conditioner taken from a hotel room (in case I don't like the conditioner provided by my next hotel), a travel-size facial moisturizer, and a travel-size #30 sun block. If I'm out for more than a week, then I throw in a bottle of nail polish. That's it. I could fit in 3x as much stuff, but it's not necessary. Hotel shampoo will not kill me, nor will hotel moisturizer. I don't wear makeup. Nail polish remover comes in the form of pre-soaked pads, not a bottle.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:52 am

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I use a CVS TSA-sized travel bag and just remove all the little bottles that come with it and use Go-Toobs instead (LOVE them). The only reason I use the CVS version instead of a regular Ziplock is because it holds up better over a longer period -- I replace it about every year or so. They're about $6.

My bag is permanently packed and includes:

- Shampoo
- mousse
- toothpaste
- perfume
- conditioner
- roll-on deodorant
- face moisturizer (pot)
- light foundation lotion

Makeup -- even lip gloss, mascara, etc. -- doesn't need to go in. I have a separate small bag with those items.

Like TravelMad, I keep pad nail polish remover in my bag, use hotel lotion and hotel bath gel.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Well, where are you travelling and what is the purpose of your trip? Not all trips require the same items, and as we don't all travel the same, it's hard to advise without more info.

When I go to Costa Rica for vacation, I pretty much fill my bag with DEET and SPF. For business trips, I bring makeup (only liquids are eye liner and lip balm, though) and hair mousse. I usually bring my own shampoo & conditioner, though I could make do with hotel stuff for a short trip if necessary. As others mention, I've switched to wipes for as many things as I can. (makeup remover, nail polish remover). Small toothpaste. Hand lotion (I have solid balms as well as cuticle cream that's a solid in my purse too)

I usually have room leftover for a mini of rum^
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stars4SA

I normally check a bag, so no major issues, but just in case my case goes astray, I have a small shampoo & conditioner, toothpaste, evian water spritzer, some essential oil calm blend for pulse points, a small spray deodorant, mascara, liptstick, toner, moisturizer, lip balm, sunscreen stick, and possibly a bug spray in my ziploc bag (and I use a Canadian Security baggie - it is longer than a ziploc, and a better orientation for all the bottles - plus it clearly states its size and purpose, so no arguments over its size. Oh, and it was free
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by travelmad478
I am by the concept of buying a ziploc bag at BB&B.
Probably same concept as why I buy mine at Muji in Asia... super thick walls, pleated bottom (i.e. holds more), and a REAL zipper on top. I can put it in the dishwasher (or wash it in the sink) if something leaks and it's as good as new again.

They last 6-9 months each with heavy wear whereas the ones from my kitchen are thin, get holes in them, and eventually stop zipping.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by techgirl
Probably same concept as why I buy mine at Muji in Asia... super thick walls, pleated bottom (i.e. holds more), and a REAL zipper on top. I can put it in the dishwasher (or wash it in the sink) if something leaks and it's as good as new again.

They last 6-9 months each with heavy wear whereas the ones from my kitchen are thin, get holes in them, and eventually stop zipping.
Me three. I got mine with my Pitotubes, it also has sides/bottoms, zipper, reinforced edges.

But all it has in it is a travel size tube of toothpaste, a 3 oz tube of sunscreen, a 1 oz bottle of jojoba oil, and a small bottle of teflon dry lube for the wheelchair. I don't use makeup, and I can survive using hotel shampoo/conditioner.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by techgirl

I didn't know things like this existed! I can definitely see the benefit of being able to wash your bag. My latest trip, something leaked and I had to wash out my little plastic baggie in the shower and hang it to dry.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:00 am

Considering that for $13, you get a box of 216 Ziploc quart-size bags, I'll stick with those and just toss them when they get ragged. I don't know what you're paying for those fancy bags, but it's pretty hard to beat a price of 6 cents.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:00 pm

Over the years, I've kept tiny sample jars for face cream, foundation and stuff. I refill hotel shampoo and conditioner bottles with my own (smaller than the travel bottles you can buy) and use travel size hair spray, deordorant, toothpaste, etc. A full kit of makeup and grooming stuff, plus things that aren't even liquid, like a razor and toothbrush, will fit in a quart ziplock bag and last 10 days at least. It is so handy to keep a ziplock bag at the ready full of everything you normally use, just in tiny sizes.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Considering that for $13, you get a box of 216 Ziploc quart-size bags, I'll stick with those and just toss them when they get ragged. I don't know what you're paying for those fancy bags, but it's pretty hard to beat a price of 6 cents.
Ditto. I look at the "sexy" more durable bags, but figure I don't need it - I end up using the cheapies for tons of things - I just make sure I keep extra in my carry-on bag in case of destruction en route.

I like the fancier bags. I just haven't been able to justify buying one yet.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:46 pm

I am also still packing my toiletries in an ancient BA F washbag (Anya Hindmarch, cloth, zippered) that I believe dates to about 2002. (It's the one on the top left.) It washes up great, in the years when I remember to wash it
Old Apr 29, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Over the years, I've kept tiny sample jars for face cream, foundation and stuff. I refill hotel shampoo and conditioner bottles with my own (smaller than the travel bottles you can buy) and use travel size hair spray, deordorant, toothpaste, etc. A full kit of makeup and grooming stuff, plus things that aren't even liquid, like a razor and toothbrush, will fit in a quart ziplock bag and last 10 days at least. It is so handy to keep a ziplock bag at the ready full of everything you normally use, just in tiny sizes.
I had these Hampton Inn bottles for shampoo and conditioner that I refilled with my products for my 3 oz bag. I accidentally left them in the shower in Crete last year and miss them. They were the perfect size. I also use travel sized everything else and make it all fit.

The only thing that never fits is the sunscreen since my husband uses so much of it. This I either have to check or buy at the destination when we get there.

OP, what do you have in your bag? Maybe we can help you pare it down.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: Costco Club
I was once at the airport and had my 3oz toiletries in my carry-on and was worried that I forgot my ziploc. I asked the TSA agent if there was a dispenser nearby (some of them have it) and he said don't worry about it, and I just kept them loose in my bag and didn't hear anything about it. Is the bag getting phased out?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.