FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   Lybrel and other extended-regimen oral contraceptives (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/1323440-lybrel-other-extended-regimen-oral-contraceptives.html)

aBroadAbroad Mar 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Lybrel and other extended-regimen oral contraceptives

Since travel is one if the more popular reasons for choosing continuous-use, period-skipping contraceptives, I figured this might be a likely place to find first-hand feedback on them.

Lybrel has been suggested as a safe form of relief from both PMS and perimenopause symptoms, with the added convenience of eliminating periods altogether. I'm wondering about others' experiences with extended regimen or continuous use pills, especially those using them on a long-term basis.

pinkcat Mar 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Does it have to be oral?, I have had Mirena IUDs over the last 10 years, the second one was specifically to stop heavy bleeding, it worked and I have had nothing for the past 5 years, my Dr says that since I am 45 it can stay in place for another few years to "help" me over the menopause. I wish I had been offered this option 20 years ago

SkyWaitress Mar 11, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi, I have no experience with Lybrel, but you should look into getting a Diva cup for long haul trips. So easy to keep on hand in your purse for those unexpected times. Uggh, your SE Asia train ride sounds like it was just miserable. Poor you!

SkyWaitress Mar 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by pinkcat (Post 18179776)
Does it have to be oral?, I have had Mirena IUDs over the last 10 years, the second one was specifically to stop heavy bleeding, it worked and I have had nothing for the past 5 years, my Dr says that since I am 45 it can stay in place for another few years to "help" me over the menopause. I wish I had been offered this option 20 years ago

I have a Mirena too, and love it! We aren't sure if we are done having kids, so it's been a great option for now.

Hoyaheel Mar 12, 2012 10:06 am

I keep wondering about mirena (I'm 38, no pregnancies and no plans for one - up until a couple years ago, my gyn wouldn't consider them for me, but I have a new doctor who actually listens to what I want;))

I don't know what Lybrel is so I'm looking it up....

However- I've been on oral contraceptives continually since 1994 (tri-phasics - generic now, but ortho-tricyclen before it went off-patent) For years in the early 2000s, I took them continually and skipped my periods - had occasional spotting (but I have that when I include the placebo/period week, so it didn't bother me over much)

I know from talking to my friends & colleagues & my doctors - most of whom have been on birth control pills at some point - is that different formulations affect us all differently. I've stayed on the same pill for ~20 years because it works for me and I don't have side effects - why mess with a good thing? So I'd say - try Lybrel and if it works for you, great^

techgirl Mar 20, 2012 3:06 pm

I'm on Amethia - which I think is the generic of Seasoneque and I love it. No periods, no cramps. It's great.

I'm 40 now and no kids and no plans to have kids so I'm going to be talking to my gynecologist at my annual visit in May about what I might be able to do longer-range. My biggest worry with birth control pills is my blood pressure since I've become somewhat hypertensive as I've gotten older and due to other drugs I take.

Hoyaheel Mar 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by techgirl (Post 18239392)
My biggest worry with birth control pills is my blood pressure since I've become somewhat hypertensive as I've gotten older and due to other drugs I take.

I have similar issues, though with hyperlipidemia, not hypertension. So far, my doc says I can stay on OC, but if I have to stop, my husband will be scheduled for the snip snip. But I love being on the Pill, so I sort of hope I hit menopause first......I've noticed that different kinds of doctors give widely different options in this arena. I stopped seeing my gyn because she told me she wouldn't treat my hyperlipidemia while I was on the Pill, so I switched to an internist (specializing in chronic disease maintenance) and she's fine managing everything. So if you don't get the answer you want the first time you ask....try again:p (that gyn was a replacement - my long-term doc retired - I didn't like her much anyway, so that was the final reason I needed to see another doc)

Katja Mar 24, 2012 11:37 am

I'm coming up on a year on Quasense, which is also a generic of Seasonique. I'm fine for three weeks at the beginning of each 13 week cycle, then bleed daily (lightly) for the rest of the time. It's kind of annoying; maybe I need to ask about an alternative. I've also got uterine fibroids, and had fibroid embolization 3 months ago, so things are kind of in flux (haha!), and I'm 52, so maybe perimenopause? Hormones, so complicated.

CdnTraveller Mar 24, 2012 6:00 pm

I've been taking "Aviane" (Levonorgestrel & Ethinyl Estradiol) 21's back to back (skipping the "off week") for the last 2-3 years. It's a lower dose, non cyclic pill without issues. My gyne has no problems with it and says that I'm "one of the lucky ones who can" Works for me with none of the apparent side effects of the traditional extended-regimen oral contraceptives. I'm 50 this past year with no risk factors and it works for me fabulously. I'm not very "hormonal" though and have always been able to take one of the lower dose pills without issues.