Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

headache with hair in a ponytail?

headache with hair in a ponytail?

Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus, IHG Platinum Elite
I agree with VickiSoCal- I am a runner too. At times I end up working after my run with my high ponytail, eventually the headache starts. I found if I want my hair restrained, to put the ponytail at the nape of my neck. If I need to look 'nice'- I add a nice colorful clip or barrett to make the plain ponytail look dressier. Add a small scarf to accent your attire. Good luck! Don't forget to do neck rotations to ease the strain...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:06 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk, MargaretM.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:22 am
Suspended

generally I wear pony tail very often and it almost never happens to me. BUT if I try to make a different kind of pony tail (on the top of the head, or one where all is very tight) then it happens sometimes. Maybe my hair is not used to certain hairstyles.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by kolchi
generally I wear pony tail very often and it almost never happens to me. BUT if I try to make a different kind of pony tail (on the top of the head, or one where all is very tight) then it happens sometimes. Maybe my hair is not used to certain hairstyles.
Welcome to Flyertalk, kolchi.

Bobette
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Ritz Carlton Stars, Four Seasons Preferred, Rosewood Elite
I have found that when I put my hair in a low/looser ponytail I am less likely to get a headache
Old Apr 6, 2012, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Cay
If the lower ponytails don't work, try putting up your hair in a way that spreads the weight out over a larger area, to keep from getting a headache. A Ficcare Maximas will hold my hair in a French twist throughout a long, hectic day without ever needing adjustment. Similarly, two Ketylo hairsticks would hold an infinity bun all day and through a dance class that night, even when I had hip-length hair.
I've been thinking about this ever since you posted it so today I tried to order the Ketylo three prong hair thingy. They were all sold out so I ordered one from Etsy and I will let you know how it works out. Here it is..

Bobette

I got it and it's very nice looking. It's about 5 1/2" long but I'm having a heckuva time getting it to really hold my hair. I looked at all the You tube instructions but I'm either doing it incorrectly or my hair is just too darn thick.

Last edited by b1513; Apr 15, 2012 at 2:09 pm Reason: Added comment after I received the product
Old May 4, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
As I'm sitting here reading these posts I'm undoing my pony tail (shoulder length thick hair) and braiding it, then loosening up the scrunchie etc. I also find repositioning it -- moving it up a couple of inches from my neck (looks like a '50's ponytail) etc. I don't always wear it back, but when travelling I find it's easier, especially in hot or humid climates. I really never thought about the asprin, just redoing it for awhile seems to work for me.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:53 pm

Thought it was time to bring back this thread and see if anyone has found anything new for subduing thick or heavy hair. Mine has reached a length where all the tricks that I was using to put it up don't work anymore - it's too heavy. I actually wore it loose one day recently - first time in years - and it nearly drove me stark raving mad, constantly getting in my face.

Anybody found something new to manage or decorate their hair?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Thought it was time to bring back this thread and see if anyone has found anything new for subduing thick or heavy hair. Mine has reached a length where all the tricks that I was using to put it up don't work anymore - it's too heavy. I actually wore it loose one day recently - first time in years - and it nearly drove me stark raving mad, constantly getting in my face.

Anybody found something new to manage or decorate their hair?
Have you tried Lilla Rose hair clips? I figured they wouldn't work, but a friend sells them, and allowed me to try one, and it really does seem to work well, without a lot of the headache issues caused by scrunchies and such for me.

I think they use something similar to piano wire for portions of their clips.

Last edited by kipper; Oct 30, 2013 at 6:04 am
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by kipper
Have you tried Lilla Rose hair clips? I figured they wouldn't work, but a friend sells them, and allowed me to try one, and it really does seem to work well, without a lot of the headache issues caused by scrunchies and such for me.
Those are new to me.

Were you able to buy one without hosting a "party" or becoming a consultant? (Ugh - I hate that sales model). What's the price range on them? I couldn't find pricing on the website.

Maybe I read too many murder mysteries, but I'm not sure I want piano wire that close to my throat.

Pretty clips, tho.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: DL, AA
Those are new to me.

Were you able to buy one without hosting a "party" or becoming a consultant? (Ugh - I hate that sales model). What's the price range on them? I couldn't find pricing on the website....
Bottom left of the home page has a "Go Shopping" link.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by scoow
Those are new to me.

Were you able to buy one without hosting a "party" or becoming a consultant? (Ugh - I hate that sales model). What's the price range on them? I couldn't find pricing on the website....
Bottom left of the home page has a "Go Shopping" link.
What browser are you using? That link isn't working with my Mac.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL, AA
What browser are you using? That link isn't working with my Mac.
Chrome on my phone (android). It does open in a new window, so maybe you are using a pop-up blocker?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Those are new to me.

Were you able to buy one without hosting a "party" or becoming a consultant? (Ugh - I hate that sales model). What's the price range on them? I couldn't find pricing on the website.

Maybe I read too many murder mysteries, but I'm not sure I want piano wire that close to my throat.

Pretty clips, tho.
Yes, a friend of mine is a consultant, so I usually shop through her link, but you can shop directly through them.

They range in price from $14-$20 generally. Before you buy, you definitely want to measure your ponytail to be sure you buy the proper size.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:06 pm

Which style are you using? What thickness of hair do you have, if you don't mind the question? I've found so many things that claim to work for thick hair, but don't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.