Is mascara a liquid?

Old Jan 15, 12, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Question Is mascara a liquid?

Someone posted on another site that mascara is a liquid and must be in my quart bag, if carried on. Is that true? I wouldn't have thought so.
Old Jan 15, 12, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Of course it's a liquid (what part do you think is solid? ) and I've never put it in the quart bag. It's always been in my purse and it's never been removed by TSA or foreign security overseas.

Well if mascara gets old, it can get crusty so that counts as a solid.
Old Jan 16, 12, 7:14 am

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO
I agree with the previous reply. Although it should technically go in your 311 Baggie, I stopped doing that a couple of years ago and it has never been a problem.
Old Jan 27, 12, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, Priority Club
Is there a dry mascara product?
Old Jan 31, 12, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bebedeer View Post
Is there a dry mascara product?
You can buy solid mascara blocks, which you then wet down and apply with a brush. I had some years ago when I did stage make up (as it is far more hygenic if you are using the make up on more than one person - I'd never use a mascara wand tube on more than one person). Not sure who still makes them, and, by their design, were not waterproof, but they were a lovely black colour.
Old Jan 31, 12, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Originally Posted by emma69 View Post
You can buy solid mascara blocks, which you then wet down and apply with a brush. I had some years ago when I did stage make up (as it is far more hygenic if you are using the make up on more than one person - I'd never use a mascara wand tube on more than one person). Not sure who still makes them, and, by their design, were not waterproof, but they were a lovely black colour.
I have seen them for sale, though none recently. I didn't see anything online at Ulta or Sephora, but drugstore.com/beauty.com has options:

http://www.drugstore.com/longcils-bo...-noir/qxp49501

I might be the only women I know of who doesn't wear mascara. But I do wear liner and I prefer a liquid - and I stick that in my quart bag
Old Jan 31, 12, 11:46 pm

Programs: QF CL
I am pretty sure I have seen a Chanel dry mascara, if you don't mind stumping up for it.
Old Feb 18, 12, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We (wife and I) were rushing to make a flight to Paris at ORD (we had been u/g'ed to F, but that's another story), and when we got there the TSA went through our stuff, and they picked out her mascara. They claimed it was liquid and she was forced to surrender it.

Both of us were flabbergasted. I mean, ... mascara?

That was a couple of years ago, so maybe they've eased off since then, but it really came as a shock to us.
Old Feb 18, 12, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
Does the solid mascara really work? My mascara always get flaky and clumpy a few days after opening a new one and I'd love to find a better product. If solid works well, that sounds like It would be great for traveling. Having blonde eyelashes, mascara is a must for me.
Old Feb 18, 12, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by lisah101 View Post
Does the solid mascara really work? My mascara always get flaky and clumpy a few days after opening a new one and I'd love to find a better product. If solid works well, that sounds like It would be great for traveling. Having blonde eyelashes, mascara is a must for me.
There is a thread that discusses the best mascara, granted it is liquid not a solid, but there were some great recommendations in the thread. I use Trish McEvoy and Blinc, both the tube type mascara and I find them great for long flights. No raccoon eyes with either one.

Flat Out Best Mascara
Old Feb 19, 12, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I got a free sample tube of MAC mascara in Ottawa, completely forgot about putting it in my plastic bag, and no one noticed it. But it's definitely a liquid.

Edited to add: OMG, post number 666!!
Old Feb 19, 12, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA Premier, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, HH Gold
I know around 2005 Mascara had to go into the quart bag. But in recent years they have not needed to go into the zip lock
Old Feb 20, 12, 7:58 am

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW View Post
There is a thread that discusses the best mascara, granted it is liquid not a solid, but there were some great recommendations in the thread. I use Trish McEvoy and Blinc, both the tube type mascara and I find them great for long flights. No raccoon eyes with either one.

Flat Out Best Mascara
Thanks for the link. I am looking for one that doesn't get clumpy and flaky a week after you buy it.
Old Feb 20, 12, 8:09 am

Thanks for the link. I am looking for one that doesn't get clumpy and flaky a week after you buy it.
I haven't had that issue with Blinc or Trish McEvoy high volume and I have used them both for a few years. I have gone through several tubes and none have gotten clumpy or flaky.
Old Feb 20, 12, 5:39 pm

Having blonde eyelashes, mascara is a must for me.
Have you tried dying your eyelashes? I have blonde, short and scant eyelashes (and brows for that matter)... and a fabulous esthetician that dyes them for me every 6 weeks or so. Bonus with dye is that it picks up the teenie tiny lashed and makes them look fuller....

I also have permanent eyeliner, so with that and dye I've been mascara free for over 10 years. I liked Trish McEvoy when I was using it though, if I had to start again I'd look for that.

Search this Thread