Search

A good, TSA friendly lotion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
A good, TSA friendly lotion

I purchased this stick lotion last week while in Disney while at the the Food and Wine Festival (it was a temporary booth).

http://www.rinsesoap.com/lotion-sticks

(it's at the top of the web page and called skin sticks)

and found that it actually worked quite well, wasn't greasy, and soaked right in. Nor was it messy. It simply glides onto your skin and disappears.

I purchased the coconut-mango, but all of them smelled pretty good. It doesn't appear to be in stock right now, but the Cabernet scent is really quite good. They sold out of it there as well.

While I'm mostly a L'Occitane girl, I found this product to be quite good, particularly for traveling.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I love the 3floz website. They have great stuff and it is all TSA size approved. Great way to test new brands or to find high-end stuff in travel size.

The owners are really responsive and I bet if you asked them to find one of your favourites in travel size, they'd sure as heck try hard.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

That web site is great, but I'm talking about a solid stick lotion that liquifies when you put it on. I can get my usual l'occitane in a travel size, but this stick can just be thrown into my regular cosmetic bag.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AC
A similar product here:

http://www.deepsteep.com/cgi-bin/sho..._option=1&0=05

I've used these (all scents/formulations) for a few years. Very nice stuff.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Lotion on a stick....interesting. So it can be in your purse and not part of the quart bag. ^
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:32 pm

Etsy.com is also a good place to find solid lotion.

I prefer solid lotion in a wider container so I can use it on my legs. Johnson & Johnson made one for babies but evidently it is discontinued http://www.amazon.com/Johnsons-Sooth...pr_product_top I'll be picking up a backup if I see it at Target, just in case. Had mine for a while (purchased two years ago or so?) and it is still good so it is shelf stable and weathers different temps okay.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
That web site is great, but I'm talking about a solid stick lotion that liquifies when you put it on. I can get my usual l'occitane in a travel size, but this stick can just be thrown into my regular cosmetic bag.
Just so you are aware, TSA took my solid sticks (an anti-blister stick and a sunblock stick, very similar to the ones on that site) and told me they are 'gels or liquids'. Fortunately both were less than 3oz, and I had space in my clear ziplock for them so could wrestle them back again! I too thought they would be ok, but apparently not with all TSA.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:37 am
Original Poster

I can't say I even recall the last time I took out my ziplok bag, much less had anything looked at. I've even had liquids in my purse which I forgot to move and they didn't say anything.

When did this happen to you?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't say I even recall the last time I took out my ziplok bag, much less had anything looked at. I've even had liquids in my purse which I forgot to move and they didn't say anything.

When did this happen to you?
Last October. You are right, I rarely even bother removing the ziploc bag, but on this occasion it was removed (it lives in front pouch for easy access) and the other items in the washbag in the main compartment of the bag (things like a tube of face powder, the blister stick and the sun stick) were pulled out, and I was told the blister and sun was 'liquids or gels'. I only had a couple of things in the ziploc, so it was fine, but just letting others know that not all TSA folks will let them pass ouside of the ziploc, so they may be useful / good products (both my sticks are great, although other brands), don't count on them passing the liquid / gel rule.

(That, and I am seriously unlucky, and have been refused cheese through security as it is 'liquid or gel'. No, it is 4" wheel of brie, how exactly do you think I am going to take down a plane with 4" of brie????!!!!)
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:56 am
Original Poster

And I never get bothered at all. I once unknowingly had a pocket knife at the bottom of my backpack and it wasn't spotted.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I never get bothered at all. I once unknowingly had a pocket knife at the bottom of my backpack and it wasn't spotted.
It does worry me the things that get missed. Many years ago my mother took a 8 inch long breadknife in her carry on bag - it was to cut a birthday cake and she was worried the self catering accommodation we were staying in wouldn't have one. She was clearly sleep deprived, and didn't do joined up thinking to put it in her checked bag. No one batted an eyelid! That is scary!

I do find the inconsistency annoying, but more than that, I think there are real gaps in the screening when we aren't even trying to be sneaky!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:25 pm

My hotel lotion bottle made it through outside the toiletries bag but the macbook air had to be pulled out for rescreening (with the lotion they missed).

Go figure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.