Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

I need this travel tote in my life

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need this travel tote in my life

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by titaniumfemme
Does anyone with a Lo & Sons OMG have any experience with it as a personal item on United? It's about 3 inches taller than the max height...
I am taking my OMG bag as a personal item with me to Japan in a week, but I am flying AA domestic metal in First. From AA's site there is no size requirements, other than being able to fit under the seat in front of you. I think the OMG will definitely meet that criteria.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:35 am

This is not helping me overcome my luggage fixation

Originally Posted by ShopAround
Add me to the list of Lipault fans. The 19" Weekend bag is my usual carry on, although I agree that it gets heavy if overstuffed.

I also have the Wheeled 18" Briefcase and I'm thinking I'll use that one on my next trip, combined with the 15" Weekend tote - I can put the briefcase in the overhead bin and put the stuff I need to have close to me in the tote. I'll have long walks to transfer from 2E to 2F at CDG and the last few times I did that, it was not fun with a heavy shoulder bag.
Like jeklah, I have the urge to buy luggage whenever I read this thread. I need to stay off flyertalk. Now I want to buy the Lipault 18" Wheeled Briefcase AND the 15" Weekend Tote. The latter is on sale in both black and purple on their website. The price is $79.99, which is 36% off the original $125. I love that purple color. Sigh.

ShopAround, please talk me out of these. Do you already have the 15" Weekend Tote? If so, it couldn't possibly fit a 15" x 10" laptop, right? That would mean I'd have to leave my laptop in the overhead. And the Wheeled 18" Briefcase is actually more than 18" long, right? It's only 5.4 lbs, which seems reasonable to me for wheeled luggage. But it's more expensive than Lipault's other comparably sized, wheeled luggage.

And will someone please talk me out of buying Dagne Dover's The Tote?

Last edited by try2cook; May 7, 2015 at 5:46 am
Old May 7, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by try2cook
Like jeklah, I have the urge to buy luggage whenever I read this thread.
Same here, I read the posts and want to order everything.

Now I want to buy the Lipault 18" Wheeled Briefcase AND the 15" Weekend Tote. The latter is on sale in both black and purple on their website. The price is $79.99, which is 36% off the original $125.
I already had the wheeled briefcase and just bought the weekend tote when I saw it was on sale.

I love that purple color. Sigh.
I love the purple, too. All my Lipault bags are that color.

ShopAround, please talk me out of these. Do you already have the 15" Weekend Tote? If so, it couldn't possibly fit a 15" x 10" laptop, right? That would mean I'd have to leave my laptop in the overhead. And the Wheeled 18" Briefcase is actually more than 18" long, right? It's only 5.4 lbs, which seems reasonable to me for wheeled luggage. But it's more expensive than Lipault's other comparably sized, wheeled luggage.
Well... I own a tour company that offers shopping tours, so I spend a pretty good amount of time talking people into or out of impulse buys.

I like the wheeled briefcase because it's small enough to fit into almost any overhead bin and it has a strap in the back so I can securely put it over the handle of my large suitcase. The weekend tote can also slip over a handle. So en route to the airport, I can slip the briefcase over the handle of my suitcase (so I'm not dealing with two rolling bags), sling the tote over my shoulder and after the big suitcase is checked in, then I can slip the weekend tote over the handle of the briefcase.

That probably sounds confusing, but I have it all worked out in my mind.

I used to travel primarily with the 19" weekend bag, but it does get heavy when stuffed and after AZ lost my luggage on my last trip, I decided I want to carry on more than I can squeeze into that bag. I have a trip in two weeks with long walks between gates and will be trying the briefcase/smaller tote for the first time and I think it will be a good solution.
Old May 7, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Did you see the photo of the tote on the arm of a person? It looks HUGE. Sure, it has all the features you might want, but it will dwarf your body.

What, you say the person in that photo is the teeny tiny Kelly Ripa? Hmmmm.

Still, it looks like a big tote I'm going to stick with that as a reason to stop shopping.

(I haven't bought any of the totes discussed on this board yet, but have bought some shoes and beauty products.....Enablers!^ )
Old May 8, 2015, 5:08 pm

What, not a single exterior pocket along the top for a transit pass, badge, or phone? No crossbody strap? No piggyback strap, either. All the electronics on the same side will also make the bag quite heavy on one side so a strap might dig in if you wear it shoulder style. I also find non-affixed zippers much harder to close with one hand and not very water resistant, being that there are areas open to the sky.

Even though this is much less stylish, I really admire the "lid pockets" and functionality of this bag
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/nomadic/al-04

That probably sounds confusing, but I have it all worked out in my mind.
You and me both. I know I've got it bad when I take said pieces, practice pack them, and do a "demo". Even to the dog. Sometimes I realize I'm missing a third (or fourth) arm or resemble an over packer.

Travel envy should be reserved for those who appear effortless outside airside, instead of those within
Old May 9, 2015, 3:01 am

Talking One option crossed off but still longing for the others!

Originally Posted by freecia
What, not a single exterior pocket along the top for a transit pass, badge, or phone? No crossbody strap? No piggyback strap, either. All the electronics on the same side will also make the bag quite heavy on one side so a strap might dig in if you wear it shoulder style. I also find non-affixed zippers much harder to close with one hand and not very water resistant, being that there are areas open to the sky.

Even though this is much less stylish, I really admire the "lid pockets" and functionality of this bag
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/nomadic/al-04

You and me both. I know I've got it bad when I take said pieces, practice pack them, and do a "demo". Even to the dog. Sometimes I realize I'm missing a third (or fourth) arm or resemble an over packer.
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Did you see the photo of the tote on the arm of a person? It looks HUGE. Sure, it has all the features you might want, but it will dwarf your body.

What, you say the person in that photo is the teeny tiny Kelly Ripa? Hmmmm.
Hoyaheel and freecia, you saved me from Dagne Dover's The Tote! I'd never clicked on the celebrity pictures. I'm no bigger than Kelly Ripa. The purse would look like a piano on my teeny arms. I also hadn't noticed The Tote has no exterior pocket on top or to the side, no crossbody strap, no piggyback strap, and has quite lopsided electronics storage. Thank you!

freecia, your packing and luggage lugging rehearsals sound eminently sensible to me. As for the dog, it's gratifying to have an attentive audience, isn't it? I think I'm missing my third AND fourth arms--my personal porter. Somehow I entered this life without one and continue to feel the deficiency.

freecia, the Advanced Light AL04 WiseTote-M you linked to does have extreme functionality. I think it's about the same size as my everyday purse.

I like the wheeled briefcase because it's small enough to fit into almost any overhead bin and it has a strap in the back so I can securely put it over the handle of my large suitcase. The weekend tote can also slip over a handle. So en route to the airport, I can slip the briefcase over the handle of my suitcase (so I'm not dealing with two rolling bags), sling the tote over my shoulder and after the big suitcase is checked in, then I can slip the weekend tote over the handle of the briefcase...I have a trip in two weeks with long walks between gates and will be trying the briefcase/smaller tote for the first time and I think it will be a good solution.
ShopAround, your big suitcase/wheeled briefcase/weekend bag sequence makes perfect sense. I haven't had to travel with a big suitcase in a long time. I hope I never have to again, but if I do, I'll keep your plan in mind. Do let us know how it works out.

ShopAround, have you ever put the 18" Wheeled Briefcase under the seat in front of you? Did you have any problems? Nothing you've said has quenched my desire for the 15" Weekend Tote and the 18" Wheeled Briefcase. But what could I expect from a self-confessed, professional enabler?
Old May 11, 2015, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by freecia
I know I've got it bad when I take said pieces, practice pack them, and do a "demo". Even to the dog. Sometimes I realize I'm missing a third (or fourth) arm or resemble an over packer.

Travel envy should be reserved for those who appear effortless outside airside, instead of those within
I do this too! I thought that I was just "eccentric" but I like to make sure that everything fits the way that I need it to, that things are intuitively accessible (at least for me) and that it's practical for me to carry. This way if I have to travel at the spur of the moment I already know what (and how) I'm packing.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I don't think I've ever done that sort of a packing practice, but I do test out new bags on short, more local trips before I take them on overseas business trips It makes a great deal of sense to me!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by burberrybrit
The Lo and Sons OG bag:
http://www.loandsons.com/the-og

BUT it's too pricey. It has everything one would need in a travel tote: light, ample size, carries all the essentials, multiple pockets, slips over luggage handle, SECRET SHOE COMPARTMENT!!!

Can anyone recommend an alternative?
I know this is an old thread but I'm using the search function to not make duplicate topics lol.

Thank you So So Much for this. That bag is HOT. I am going to get the OMG tote now and get the OG later this year.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Yes

Originally Posted by Deafchick
I know this is an old thread but I'm using the search function to not make duplicate topics lol.

Thank you So So Much for this. That bag is HOT. I am going to get the OMG tote now and get the OG later this year.

I bought one recently and really like it--especially the look!
Deafchick likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:42 am

Yes, do it now, they're having a sale
I actually ended up buying the OG (again) and it has become a regular in my travel arsenal. It's a little small for overnights (curse my need for toiletries!) so I'm eyeballing their Catalina Deluxe small for those times I don't need a laptop. I spotted someone carrying one on a flight back from ATL last month (so sad..."Is that a Lo and Sons Catalina bag?" "It is!").

I have also picked up the Seville because I was concerned that the OG was too big for a personal bag but wanted something "grown up" looking for meetings. The Seville is lovely with it's swap out shell options but there's a catch that I wasn't aware of. The travel sleeve does not fit over the shell. You basically have to take the bag apart, remake it with the (nylon) travel sleeve and carry the leather shell separately. The shell takes up a significant chunk of luggage real estate if you're traveling light. So I end up traveling with just the travel sleeve and insert as my laptop bag, which is OK, but not what I expected. I use the Seville + shell for when I need to go to business meetings locally.
Deafchick likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond

where has this been all my life? I... don't know what to do with myself right now
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:35 am

Two of the colors were 30% off. I got the Heather Slate!
AStarr likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Two of the colors were 30% off. I got the Heather Slate!
I ended up getting the heather/azure OMG. Picking it up on the next trip to America as they're only shipping in the US right now. Only a few weeks off but I have a lot of trips afterwards... that bag is going to get used.
Deafchick likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Oooooh, this bag looks great. It fits onto my carryon (hopefully), and is on sale in two colors. COOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.