a packing problem

Old Nov 8, 11, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
a packing problem

Years ago, I visited Paris for the first time, and I believe it was the folks on this thread who advised me on my wardrobe. Soon, I will be visiting again, but I would like to do it with only a carry-on bag. Hmmm. I will take suggestions or maybe I will just make notes of my packing story and report on what I did when I come back. I assume it will be COLD! The trip will be 8 days, London, Paris, Vancouver, so maybe I'll just wear everything until it's time to head home where it's warm!
Old Nov 8, 11, 2:15 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, True Blue, Southwest, IHG
When will you be going and how long will you be there for? Are London and Vancouver before or after Paris?

I tend to bring very little to Paris because I like to shop there.
Old Nov 8, 11, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

A couple, three days apiece in London and Paris. Only one day in Vancouver. I think I have that day all planned out now...my ticket says Vancouver, British Columbia, USA. I hope KLM knows where it is. But that's a different problem for a different day! Somewhere I have a silk interlock shirt that's super-thin. I'll probably wear that and a good deodorant under my clothes, assuming Paris will be as cold as I remember. :-)
Old Nov 8, 11, 9:09 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
The silk interlock turtleneck will be perfect assuming you'll be in Paris late November. I usually layer a t-neck with a merino sweater and carry an ultra-fine merino or cashmere vest with me just in case. I also bring a shell or some sort of windbreaker to help with the dampness. The humidity is what makes it feel colder than it really is.

Your wardrobe for Paris should be the same as London. Vancouver will be warmer but still damp.

With 2 pairs of slacks and 2 pairs of shoes, this trip is definitely do-able in a carry-on with room to spare
Old Nov 9, 11, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Pack variations of the color black and you won't have to worry about matching. Roll up your clothing tightly and then put an elastic band around each item. It is amazing how you can pack efficiently for even a two week trip in a carry-on pullman. When you travel, wear your heavy coat, your tall boots and the bulky sweater (if you travel with one).
Old Nov 9, 11, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peachfront View Post
Years ago, I visited Paris for the first time, and I believe it was the folks on this thread who advised me on my wardrobe. Soon, I will be visiting again, but I would like to do it with only a carry-on bag. Hmmm. I will take suggestions or maybe I will just make notes of my packing story and report on what I did when I come back. I assume it will be COLD! The trip will be 8 days, London, Paris, Vancouver, so maybe I'll just wear everything until it's time to head home where it's warm!
London / Paris are around 14 degrees C (57F?) at the moment so not all that cold. I normally take a long trench type rain coat which has a removable padded liner - so it is good when it is just wet without the liner, and with the liner if it is wet and cold or just cold. I wear that on the plane, along with a 'match everything' pashmina, so no packing bulk.

I generally find that with the coat, it doesn't much matter on the other clothes - if I am outdoors I have the coat and pashmina. If I am indoors they have the heating on. Trousers / jeans / tops etc. I wear the same ones whether it is 20 degrees or -20 degrees - perhaps with a jumper if -20, but not a lot of difference!
Old Nov 9, 11, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
I was in Amsterdam last November for a week, carry-on. 2 prs trousers, a cashmere cardigan, cashmere pullover, cashmere (wide) scarf, silk long underwear, 3 silk or dri-fit knit long sleeve shirts (cream, black, leopard). One pr ankle boots, one pr lace-up shoes. Water resistant hip length jacket (thinsulate lining) Was a leisure trip, so I didn't need business dress- though I almost could have (in my field, I don't have to wear suits). We rented an apartment that had a washing machine, which helped! But I had limited color choices, could mix and match everything, and the layers helped me survive what ended up being a very cold, rainy, sleety & snowy week.....

(since we were sightseeing and spent so much time outside, warmth was a factor in my packing - but as others have pointed out -if you're indoors, it's not as much an issue....)
Old Nov 9, 11, 3:57 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
layers!
lots of black
febreeze is your friend

Like emma said ... as long as you have gloves, hat, coat, and scarf, you should be able to wear just about anything under it.

Sometimes I'll do a mid trip laundry day as well.
Old Nov 11, 11, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

These are all good ideas. I may do like the style bloggers do and photograph what I end up wearing...if nothing else it should be good for a laugh.
Old Nov 11, 11, 6:34 pm

Love the suggestions. --I also like to bring a colorful scarf for a color punch for my all black/charcoal layered outfit, then while sightseeing/shopping, I might pick up a scarf/pashmina souvenir to vary my look.
Old Nov 12, 11, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
Smile where to shop for travel clothes

These are great suggestions. Does anyone else have a hard time finding good travel clothing without wasting a lot of time shopping?

I don't like the styles for the most part in TravelSmiths, Magellans, Orvis, Tilley (except for hats) LLBean or Lands End. They either look too old or too country. I used to like Chico's but now they seem limited and the Traveler's stuff weighs a ton. Christine Columbus seems to have disappeared.

Saw a woman in line at security once who had a really nice looking red and black stretch pants suit type thing with pockets that was stylish and wrinklefree; she said it was some Korean company and she found it on eBay.

I realize I'm picky but any ideas considered! Heading on a SEA-IAH-PTY- SCL (Santiago) marathon and want something comfortable to wear, sleep in and show up not looking like I've been run over by a truck. Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 11, 8:45 am
tcl

Travel Clothing

I like Wintersilks for their silk jersey under things and have recently discovered Sympli. Eileen Fisher is also a good source for basics in cotton and merino; some are even machine washable.

Sympli is heavy and their styles tend to use a lot of fabric making the item heavier still. I have 2 styles that I love: the sleeveless tank dress and the skess (skirt/dress) in black. The skess works ok as a dress when I safety pin it to my bra and great as a skirt. The tank dress work with everything and the material washes really well. Their sizes do run large though.

Some stores such as Nordstrom and Garnet Hill (catalogue) have Eileen Fisher exclusives in both Plus and Petites.
Old Nov 13, 11, 9:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AC
I am also a fan of eileen fisher...especially for travel in the cooler months (her pure linens are great too...but they don't travel as well--viscose linens travel better). Her silk jerseys come out flawless from the suitcase. I also use her viscose crepe pants. Most of her stuff has stretch to it, which is nice when on a plane or sitting in a car on field trips. The stuff i bring you can cold water wash, or some by hand, hang to dry. Her stuff is pricey but it often goes on sale.
Old Nov 25, 11, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
I don't buy "travel clothes", but I keep travel needs in mind with most of the clothes I buy. That means a) a bit of lycra; b) colours that work with a base of black or brown (I alternate base colours for travel); c) lightweight fabrics that breathe, hold warmth and pack down tight; and d) don't need ironing.

En route and often at my destination, I frequently wear leggings, tunics and either ankle boots (fall, winter, spring) or comfortable walking sandals (summer). I get most of my tunics and leggings at Boden. They're dressy enough to go out to dinner (except super-formal restaurants) and comfortable enough to sleep in on planes or lounge around in at my hotel. They also take up very little space.

Except in winter, I usually travel with a lightweight crushable car coat length raincoat (from rainforest) and a mid-thigh length cardigan. I can wear one or the other, or combine them for warmth. The coat works with office clothes but also works well with casual clothes.

I also usually pack a couple of knit dresses and wear them with a short wrap merino cardigan. My favourite stores for these are Boden (great wrap dresses that stay wrapped!), Title Nine, Athleta and occasionally Ann Taylor.

If I'm travelling for work, I usually pack one pantsuit and then wear dresses for less formal days.

Finally, I usually pack a pair of Old Navy chinos (which have just enough lyrca to be comfortable and not so much that I look like a sausage) and a couple of white and/or black tshirts. They pair up with the wrap cardigans.

I try to stick to 3 pairs of shoes in total (including the ones I travel in) in the winter (maybe 4 pairs in summer because sandals tend to take up less space). Since I work out when I travel, that means one pair of runners (charcoal grey/lilac Nikes - not too dorky for travel days or sightseeing), one pair of 1.5" heels for work/dresses, and a pair of ankle boots, walking shoes or sandals.

I'm not sure if your trip has started yet, but one thing I wanted to mention is that I've lived in both Paris and London, and found that neither was as cold as I expected. I did find that it was critical to layer in the fall, winter and spring, because it can be brisk outside, but subways, restaurants and theatres can be stiflingly hot. The raincoat + long cardigan combo has worked for me except in the dead of winter in places like Paris and London, provided that I supplement it with a pashmina and a pair of gloves.

Search this Thread