Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Morning sickness while travelling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold

A friend of mine recently started suffering from morning sickness (she's in her first trimester). She has some long flights coming up and wondered if anyone has any hints to help manage her queasiness on the plane. She does not want to take meds and is kind of sick of eating saltines (plus she doesn't know if customs will her bring them into Chile)
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:36 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
processed foods shouldn't be a problem in most countries.....so saltines are good to go....has she had an airsickness prob in the past?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:56 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's an old yet relevant thread from the Women's Forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women...-sickness.html
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Redhead
A friend of mine recently started suffering from morning sickness (she's in her first trimester). She has some long flights coming up and wondered if anyone has any hints to help manage her queasiness on the plane. She does not want to take meds and is kind of sick of eating saltines (plus she doesn't know if customs will her bring them into Chile)
Some meds are approved for use during pregnancy. She does not have to take them all the time, but at least for the flight.

That, and ginger pills may help
Old Aug 8, 2011, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.chimesgourmet.com/

Chimes chewey ginger candy are spicy, rather than sweet, and can help stop the nausea. Better IME than crystalized ginger, ginger tincture or ginger hard candy.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Thanks! I'm going to send her the link to this thread.

She only gets motion sick on planes in turbulence.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I'm going to move this thread to the Women's Travel Forum where it is likely to be merged with the referenced link.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:55 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I used this accupressure technique for both my pregnancies, and still do if I'm feeling queasy for any reason.

http://www.thebabycorner.com/page/2402/

http://www.herbalshop.com/Acupressur...essure_12.html
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
How appropriate! I am a sufferer of motion sickness in general (usually no problems in the air unless it's turbulent) but it's exacerbated with pregnancy. I know that your friend said no meds, but the only thing that has worked for me so far (and I'm on a plane every week) has been Zofran. It's commonly prescribed during pregnancy, and has been really effective.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: CO Silver, DL
I found arrowroot biscuits the best option for me...along with Jacobs cream crackers! Arrowroot biscuits are generally available in Tesco stores in UK and Ireland and are just the bizz when your tummy is iffy!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:21 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
A co-worker had a very difficult pregnancy with all-day nausea until she found relief with Preggy Pops. She swore they worked and gave her great relief. They also make Preggy Drops. Primary ingredient is ginger.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, IHG, HHonors
Originally Posted by lili
A co-worker had a very difficult pregnancy with all-day nausea until she found relief with Preggy Pops. She swore they worked and gave her great relief. They also make Preggy Drops. Primary ingredient is ginger.
+1. Also have a co-worker who swears by those..
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
The main thing that helped me prevent pregnancy nausea, was to ensure I had a little something -ANYTHING- in my stomach almost all the time. It's counter-intuitive, and during my first pregnancy I suffered through one miserable trip where I was exhausted, felt ill, skipped eating, felt worse, etc. I learned to carry water and small snacks everywhere, and sipped and nibbled throughout the trip, and it made a huuuuge difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.