Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

If you pack a vibrator, don't get shaken by TSA

If you pack a vibrator, don't get shaken by TSA

Old Jun 21, 11, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Talking If you pack a vibrator, don't get shaken by TSA

Saw this article at SFGate, and was tempted to post it to newsbuzz, but figured it was more at home here

Travelling with sex toys.

A lot of the recommendations are fairly common sense: remove batteries, keep lube in the 3-1-1 rules, and pack anything overly large in checked baggage.

I've travelled with my Lelo for ages now, and never once seen so much as a raised eyebrow when going through security. It has an internal battery that can't be removed (rechargeable, the charger conveniently fits both it and my travel modem), but I've never had an issue with it going off.
Old Jun 25, 11, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP .72MM
A reason for separate Male and Female screening lines

Originally Posted by phedre View Post
Saw this article at SFGate, and was tempted to post it to newsbuzz, but figured it was more at home here

Travelling with sex toys.

A lot of the recommendations are fairly common sense: remove batteries, keep lube in the 3-1-1 rules, and pack anything overly large in checked baggage.

I've travelled with my Lelo for ages now, and never once seen so much as a raised eyebrow when going through security. It has an internal battery that can't be removed (rechargeable, the charger conveniently fits both it and my travel modem), but I've never had an issue with it going off.
This is one reason that they should in most airports have seperate male and female screening lines...also women have tampons and other items that they may not want men to see!!
Old Jun 25, 11, 8:31 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by favalarry69 View Post
This is one reason that they should in most airports have seperate male and female screening lines...also women have tampons and other items that they may not want men to see!!
Male and female lines because women dont want their tampons seen? How do they buy them? Seperate male and female cashiers at the store?
Old Jun 25, 11, 8:50 am

Understood but in stores all the men dont see the stuff you buy!!

Originally Posted by sweeper20 View Post
Male and female lines because women dont want their tampons seen? How do they buy them? Seperate male and female cashiers at the store?
In an airport security line men can see what you are carrying and have no business knowing what time of the month it is or seeing things such as tampons,toys,lube or batteries...not that I care but its NOT a MANS business...I just feel women need privacy and respect!!
Old Jun 25, 11, 9:08 am

Some men (including TSA) may feel more embarassed than ladies who brought some of their private personnal belongings...
Old Jun 25, 11, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Mynameismud View Post
Some men (including TSA) may feel more embarassed than ladies who brought some of their private personnal belongings...
This is true....but all the male passengers too!! Its seriously an issue especially with all the xray screenings and things...vibrators and tampons get notices...all I am suggesting is seperate lines for men and women ran by people of the same gender...just out of respect for privacy!!
Old Jun 25, 11, 9:15 am

This is true....but all the male passengers too!! Its seriously an issue especially with all the xray screenings and things...vibrators and tampons get notices...all I am suggesting is seperate lines for men and women ran by people of the same gender...just out of respect for privacy!!
although i do not totally agree, i do not disagree either and understand the need of privacy some women may need or feel.
Old Jun 25, 11, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Mynameismud View Post
although i do not totally agree, i do not disagree either and understand the need of privacy some women may need or feel.
I probably should not be reading or posting here as I am a man...but I was just saying and also check out my other post about womens only lavs on airplanes..should have those!!
Old Jun 25, 11, 9:56 am

I probably should not be reading or posting here as I am a man...but I was just saying and also check out my other post about womens only lavs on airplanes..should have those!!
so that makes 2 men here...
Old Jun 25, 11, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

I've never really considered it an issue. I've yet to see any screener so much as react to me having a vibrator in my carry on - I'm sure they see it so often that it's just not an issue.

Though if you're personally shy about it, I suppose you could self-select into a line with female screeners.

And quite frankly, I agree with this quote from the article:

Carol Queen, the celebrated San Francisco sex expert, lecturer and proprietor of the Good Vibrations chain of sex stores, has traveled the world with her carry-on bags full of vibrators and other paraphernalia. Vibrators, she says, are not the problem. Shame about vibrators is the problem.

"There's no reason to be embarrassed," said Queen. "If an inspector asks you about it, look him in the eye and tell him it's your vibrator."
Sexuality is normal and healthy, and not something anyone should ever feel ashamed of.
Old Jun 25, 11, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by phedre View Post
I've never really considered it an issue. I've yet to see any screener so much as react to me having a vibrator in my carry on - I'm sure they see it so often that it's just not an issue.

Though if you're personally shy about it, I suppose you could self-select into a line with female screeners.

And quite frankly, I agree with this quote from the article:

Sexuality is normal and healthy, and not something anyone should ever feel ashamed of.
I totally agree with you...but some men could be arroused by those types of things and totally creep women out....just some things would be better in a womens only line....men also should not see them be pat down...I am just saying and men dont need to know what time of the month it might be!!
Old Jun 26, 11, 6:50 am

Anatomically correct reproductions of male sex "objects" must be carried in checked baggage, as they could be used aboard an aircraft as weapons.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1QNzBQe1N
This made me laugh out loud!!!
Old Jun 27, 11, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I totally agree with you...but some men could be arroused by those types of things and totally creep women out....just some things would be better in a womens only line....men also should not see them be pat down...I am just saying and men dont need to know what time of the month it might be!!
If a clump of vaugely phallic shaped plastic turns a guy on, well, l guess I now know why coke bottles aren't allowed through! Nothing to do with liquids!

And many women carry a tampon etc. in their purse month-round, not just at 'that time of the month', so chances are, no secret information given away there either.

Is a guy embarrassed to have a condom in his bag / wallet? No, not normally. Nor are adult women (young teens perhaps) embarrassed to have a tampax in their purse.
Old Jun 27, 11, 1:35 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
I just take the batteries out and don't worry about it. I am sure they see a lot more things than we realize. Anyways, I would rather they see my magic bullet than my body in detail from the new scanners.
Old Jun 27, 11, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by k_malm View Post
I just take the batteries out and don't worry about it. I am sure they see a lot more things than we realize. Anyways, I would rather they see my magic bullet than my body in detail from the new scanners.
That's definitely my opinion too. I've got zero embarrassment over a guy seeing my vibrator or my divacup. It's all perfectly normal.

I do love the convenience of my rechargeable lelo over the standard battery operated vibe though, makes life easier for travel if I don't have to hunt for batteries

Search this Thread