Need suggestions for gifts to buy

Old May 29, 11, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, LM, Etihad Guest Gold, Honors Plat, IHG Ambassador, Star Alliance Gold,
Need suggestions for gifts to buy

Hi Everyone

Off to Europe in 4 weeks and will be visiting family that I have never met before, however they are immediate family (grandmother, Uncles and cousins!)

I am staying with them for 5 nights and unsure of what sort of gifts I should bring them...I am honestly stuck for ideas!

Will have plenty of space in my luggage, as it is almost the first stop of the trip, but whatever I bring needs to be unbreakable, as my luggage will pass through 5 airports before I reach them.

Suggestions?
Old May 29, 11, 7:52 am

What about quintessentially "Australian" things for them? I was thinking along the lines of opal earrings or necklace for your grandmother, Tim Tams and Caramello Koalas for the cousins and some extremely well packed wines for your uncles?

The unbreakable bit is a bit tricky though and obviously wine don't exactly fit the bill.

Are there things here that are harder to get over there that they might appreciate?
Old May 29, 11, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, LM, Etihad Guest Gold, Honors Plat, IHG Ambassador, Star Alliance Gold,
Hi Anna Beth

yep thought of all that, however Italians are pretty fussy when it comes to gifts and want it to be more of a memory rather than something you can eat

Wine is def out...as I imagine the wine in the french riveria (near where I'm going) is pretty good!!
Old May 29, 11, 8:48 am

Fancy teatowels with koalas or Australian maps on them? Pictures of songlines? Tourist books about your area of Australia, and photos of your house and garden, family, district etc to make them feel more 'at home' with what will be a new family for them too! Of course you can also buy flowers, chocolates and wine when you arrive ...
Old May 29, 11, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Since this is immediate family, I like the photos idea - could you create a photobook of pictures of your family over the years as well as photos of your house, local area etc? I don't know companies in Australia, but in America, we make photo books (online) through our Costco store. There are lots of other websites that can do it - they have a template, you upload your photos and text, and in a couple weeks - voila, a photo book arrives in the mail. We did one for our nieces & nephews at Christmas a couple years ago.
Old Jun 8, 11, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
Since this is immediate family, I like the photos idea - could you create a photobook of pictures of your family over the years as well as photos of your house, local area etc? I don't know companies in Australia, but in America, we make photo books (online) through our Costco store. There are lots of other websites that can do it - they have a template, you upload your photos and text, and in a couple weeks - voila, a photo book arrives in the mail. We did one for our nieces & nephews at Christmas a couple years ago.
I have friends and relatives in Australia. The nicest things we have been given are a digeredoo (sp!) which has been personalized with our nicknames on it, a painting by an aboriginal artist which tells one of the tales of the dream time, and a silver dish with a crocodile engraved on it.

For little children, cuddly koalas seem to go down well. Opal jewellery is a great idea as someone mentioned. Anything to do with different animals seems to go down well with the tween boys.
Old Jun 8, 11, 6:36 pm

Family photos that have common relatives in them are usually appreciated. Have them copied and put them in albums or frames. For the children, are there toys produced in Australia that are less expensive there (like buying Lego in Germany)?

RE the wine - I once brought a 6 pack of microbrew beer from the states to Dublin Ireland as a gift. Seriously. The giftee was rather excited to receive it.
Old Jun 10, 11, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

I have decided on cufflinks for the all the boys and a small charm for all the ladies, plus Australiana tea towels, koala pens, vegemite (even though i hate it!), timtams and a few pics
Old Jun 18, 11, 11:03 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
When visiting my family in another country, I try to always get them some fresh cut flowers. Depending on the airport, you can find them there. My family always like maps of my state (to better understand where I am from) and the really enjoy seeing pictures of the area. The rest of the suggestions are great as well from others.
Old Jun 21, 11, 9:05 am
Original Poster

I'm done and packed!

I ended up with small photo canvas's of a collage of family pics
cufflinks and small charms
tim tams
australian massive pens
little koala bears
an australian map clock
a crystal map of australia

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions

Search this Thread