Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Best shampoo/conditioner for daily swimmers with highlighted hair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I just joined a swim club for the summer and I want to swim laps daily. I don't want to ruin my hair, however. I've got the swim cap. I know about putting the cap on with wet hair. I need to find a shampoo & conditioner safe enough for daily washing that won't strip blonde highlights as it removes the chlorine from my hair. I was told that "ultra swim" shampoo is not good for highlighted hair. Also, can I just use the daily conditioner I always used for highlighted hair or must I use both shampoo and conditioner that remove chlorine?

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 26, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Shampoos to remove chlorine:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/89...chlorine-hair/

Another article on same website:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/19...-treated-hair/

Another article:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/17...pool-chlorine/

Last edited by SkiAdcock; May 26, 2011 at 12:50 pm
Old May 26, 2011, 6:13 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'd suggest coating your hair with conditioner before swimming...it should provide an extra layer of protection in addition to your cap. (I guess it does, however, require a fairly watertight cap, since I'm sure the pool doesn't want a ton of conditioner in it.)
tcl likes this.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
If you're using a latex swim cap, put a small amount of cornstarch baby powder in it before putting it on your head - you'll avoid the pain of trying to get the swim cap on! After use, dry the cap and put on a bit of baby powder to keep it from sticking to itself.

Old May 27, 2011, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. After I soaked my hair in the outdoor shower, I coated my hair with conditioner before each time I swam laps today. I initially got a silicone cap but it kept falling off. Then my goggles broke. Batting 1000 on mishaps. I bought a latex cap and goggles at the pool. I was able to return the original silicone cap and was given a refund. Very nice.

I will get some baby powder. Nice idea.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Try using conditioner and two swim caps, thusly: a coat of conditioner (something cheap and greasy, like Queen Helene which comes in a jar), then a fabric cap, then the silicone cap. It's less messy and protects your hair both from the chemicals in the water and from being pulled by the silicone cap. It also helps keep the conditioner from oozing into the water.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: kelee campus
I've had good experiences with two purple toners - one by manic panic, I think it's called virgin snow, and one by guhl, to get rid of those kinds of tones (my hair is lighter than yours though). They're very similar products; this is what the guhl looks like over here, maybe you can get it in the UK, too - it's sold in run-of-the-mill drugstores over here, where the deep treatments are. They're more like a deep treatment than a conditioner, if that makes sense - the effects last longer, you don't have to reapply every time you wash. That means you can also just apply them to the areas where you want the toner to go. The coloring stuff in them is the same as what is used in the purple/blue shampoos and conditioners, but there's a bit more of it, the color is a little stronger, and it lasts longer. For me, I only had to use them a few times, then the color just stuck. That often happens with highlighted hair, if it's just been damaged enough but not too much, there's some room in the hair's structure for those kinds of color molecules to get stuck. I hope that makes sense. In any case, I'd use something like that, because you can just put it where you need it and don't need to worry about it affecting your overall color like you do with shampoo and conditioner. I don't think that blue/purple shampoo/conditioner would do a lot to your overall color, it would probably show up at most in the sunshine as a subtle cast of some sort, but you know, just in case. When I used згкзду shampoos Joico https://womentake.com/best-purple-shampoo/ I did feel they made my whites look too gray over time (I try to pass off my whites as blond highlights - not sure that that works but I didn't like the gray cast the blue shampoo gave to them). But I don't know if you have grays. ETA: If you can't find those toners, you can also just mix some blue/purple deposit-only dye (manic panic, stargazer etc) with a lot of deep treatment - that does the same thing. Blue has a stronger effect than purple, so you need to use less of it/mix more deep treatment in or you end up with blue/green tones (which is way worse than a bit of brass - way, way worse). Maybe start with something like a 1:20 or 1:30 ratio? I've done it and it worked, but I don't remember the ratio I used. I do remember that you need to dilute the heck out of the pure rainbow deposit-only colors to use them this way, they have a lot of pigment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.