Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling for the FIRST TIME alone. HELP!

Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Hey, I'm new to the forum... I would love it if someone would help with a couple of questions I have. I'm leaving this Fri. to go to ATL, GA from Chicago via AirTran Airways and I don't plan on checking any luggage. I'm only staying for 4 days so I just plan on taking a carry on. Here goes my questions.

1.) How much liquid am I allowed to take...I know about the 3 oz and under rule but as far as lotion, mouthwash, toothpaste...?

2.) What about solids such as deodorant, vaseline, makeup. Does any of this apply?

3.) Can I bring my laptop as well?

4.) Can I also bring a nike bag to carry my purse and some books in?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:19 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by Jkhall12
Hey, I'm new to the forum... I would love it if someone would help with a couple of questions I have. I'm leaving this Fri. to go to ATL, GA from Chicago via AirTran Airways and I don't plan on checking any luggage. I'm only staying for 4 days so I just plan on taking a carry on. Here goes my questions.

1.) How much liquid am I allowed to take...I know about the 3 oz and under rule but as far as lotion, mouthwash, toothpaste...?

2.) What about solids such as deodorant, vaseline, makeup. Does any of this apply?

1. As much as you can get into a one quart ziploc baggie.

2. Solid Deodorant & makeup shouldn't be a problem...I've never had a problem with it. Be careful with mascara & lipstick though.

3. Yes, you can bring your laptop.

4. As long as you don't violate the 1 carry-on bag + 1 personal item (i.e. purse, laptop bag, camera bag).
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:07 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Welcome!

Anything liquid must be 3.4 ounces or less and it all must fit in one quart-sized Ziplock bag. Here's the TSA's site, which can tell you more about specifics: http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

Solids are OK. Liquids, gels and aerosols have to met the 3.4 ounce rule. As for mascara and lipstick ...I've never had a problem with them not being in my "liquids" bag. Once in a while a screener sees my metal lipstick tube on the display and wants to see what it is, but for the metal and the shape. It's never an issue beyond that.

Yes, just take it out of your bag and put it in a separate bin when you go through the checkpoint.

I didn't look up the rules of your specific carrier, but it usually is one carry on and one "personal item" such as a purse or laptop bag. You can carry things like books and magazines separately without them counting, generally. If you have a carry on, purse and laptop bag you might want to be sure you can slip your purse into one of the other bags.

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 4, 2010 at 1:12 am
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to Flyertalk! You are going to need to use some ingenuity here. You are only allowed 2 pieces to carry on the plane. From what you're saying, you'll have clothes and other personal items for 4 days, books, a laptop, a nike bag, and a purse. Well, you need to figure out how to get all of that in one "carry-on item" and one personal item.

Here is a link to Airtran's rules for baggage policies including the carry on size restrictions for the carry on item and the personal item.

http://www.airtran.com/policies/carry-on_checked.aspx

Work with it in advance so you can arrive at ATL already prepared.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:42 am
Original Poster

oh wow... i definitely didn't think i would get replies so fast! Thank you guys so much!! More help than I imagined! I appreciate it!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Welcome and travel well!

Think seriously about how much clothing and etc you are planning to take along for your brief trip. Most people overpack.

For a 4 day trip, I only take one pair of shoes (the ones I'm going to wear on the flights) and a pair of shower shoes (flip-flops). I am also a great believer in doing hand washing of underwear along the way.

What are you going to use for a carry on bag?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:35 am
Original Poster

good idea about the shoes! i was planning on using a duffel bag.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
and

welcome to FlyerTalk...a very friendly and helpful place!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:41 pm

I put my things through the X-ray in this order- shoes, jacket, small purse and baggie in one tray, then laptop, laptop bag, then my big suitcase. I stand and watch until tray with purse and tray with laptop go through, then I go to the screening machine.

Now when I am on the other side- my shoes are there first, put those on, get jacket, get purse. Get laptop.Pick up laptop bag (purse goes in laptop bag), put laptop in bag. Now I am all ready for my suitcase.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
wow

Originally Posted by marion10
I put my things through the X-ray in this order- shoes, jacket, small purse and baggie in one tray, then laptop, laptop bag, then my big suitcase. I stand and watch until tray with purse and tray with laptop go through, then I go to the screening machine.

Now when I am on the other side- my shoes are there first, put those on, get jacket, get purse. Get laptop.Pick up laptop bag (purse goes in laptop bag), put laptop in bag. Now I am all ready for my suitcase.

Oh my goodness, you are way more organized than I can ever manage!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta skymiles
Thanks Gretchen for the security line up. That is great advice to line up your things in order so they come out the other end in the order you will need them. Thanks, hadn't thought of that and I fly a lot.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
First- make sure you can easily lift your duffle bag over your head when it is packed. Otherwise, carrying it through the airport and putting it in the overhead will be rough.

Next- I have my carry one, and my "purse". I find that airlines are usually pretty lenient about the size of my purse, as long as it is obviously not luggage and will fit under my seat. I use a large tote and my real purse goes inside.

I carried my laptop 45,000 miles until my chiropractor said no more. Now I have a netbook, under 3 lbs. You will need to put in a separate bin through security, but will be fine.

Make sure your liquids are within the limits- that includes lotions, etc.

And Have fun!!!!
ps- if you are staying in a hotel- my mother bought me a $1.49 rubber door stop - I sleep more securily when traveling by myself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.