Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

gift for overseas boyfriend?

Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:46 am
Original Poster

I am dating someone in the UK but live in the US. With the holidays fast approaching I am trying to figure out what to get him for Christmas since I am pretty sure we will be apart.

Its so hard to figure this out since I may have to ship it, or order directly from the UK....

I was thinking a gift basket with alcohol but that just does not seem personal enough....

Any idea ladies, other than me flying there to see him?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking of maybe a nice leather carryon or satchel as he travels a lot. Then I can fill it with cute little personal gifts or something?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:51 pm

Whatever you decide, shipping may be an issue with cost and possible duties. I recommend ordering online from a local ie UK retailer or site rather than from your location. And don't forget amazon.co.uk - Amazon truly has an amazing range of oroducts/suppliers/retailers now and I often use their international sites. Shipping is very quick too.

If you have a few general ideas in mind perhaps a post on the UK forum would invite some suggestions re local retailers.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:19 am

Been there!

Has he been to visit you in the US yet? One of my first gifts to my UK bf (now husband) was a sweatshirt from the state I was living in at the time (although US sizes run bigger than the UK, and they don't wear clothes as baggy, I've learned that now). Something that's unique to your area might be nice -- at the risk of generalizing, the culture in the UK isn't as diverse as the US, so there's lots he may not have had much exposure to. For example, I gave my husband his first tastes of zydeco, blues, American football and baseball... the list goes on.

Ordering from a UK web site will certainly facilitate the shipping process, though it'll obviously limit your options. Keep in mind if you do ship something over yourself make sure that the packing slip specifies that the items are gifts, that way he shouldn't be charged an import duty.

How about a web cam to help keep in touch?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: SQ & QF
How much do you want to spend?
How Long have you been seeing him?
How old is he?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.