Footwear suggestions please

Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Question Footwear suggestions please

I'm leaving end Oct for a one month trip (!!!) mainly to Asia. It's actually the tail end of my oneworld RTW. What I need are some good ideas for shoes/boots. I found the thread "packing suggestions" lower down the page. Although I consider myself an experienced traveler (former flight attendant), I found much of value in that thread, as usual.

I work on my feet (very busy Emergency Dept), and comfort is my first priority. Of course, I don't mind looking good at the same time, lol. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to try carry-on only. If I check, I'll probably need to buy a bag since all I own is carry-ons except some wheeled duffels. So, advice re either/or appreciated (obviously, if I check I can probably add a pair I'd otherwise have to do without). I'm going to Hong Kong, with maybe a side trip from there to Phuket and back, Tokyo, Delhi, Singapore, then briefly to Warsaw. The highlight of my trip, or so I now think, is a visit to the Pushkar Camel Fair,which is in the Thar Desert near Delhi. I hope to do some horseback riding there, maybe camel, too!

I have Asolo lightweight hikers, which I wore on the plane and much of the time I was in Switzerland. I have Ariat Fatbabies in many colors which, although they look like (and are) cowboy boots, the technology is wonderful and I can actually wear them to work. I have a pair of shearling boots for our really cold weather. I have running shoes I usually work in, several pairs of mules/slides, and multiple incarnations of Tevas. It seems none of these is really ideal. The Ariats would do for city touring (I'm not a skirt or dress wearer), but maybe something new is in order? And what on earth do you wear while trekking around a camel fair? Sand, but don't know if hardpack or loose and dune-y. The Ariats would be good here, too, or maybe some non-mesh trail runners? I'm thinking some nice looking but very comfortable (for sightseeing and shopping) ankle-high boots might work for the cities.

I've seen some Born boots and shoes that look intriguing. I'm not averse to shopping and dropping as I go, but my feet are wide--I generally don't buy a wide, but have to be careful with fit. No Cole Hahns for me. Top priority, I don't want to suffer--no 4" heels, pointy toes,etc. So, what would you take, fewest possible pairs, for city, desert, beach?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA
Ecco brand shoes have been fantastic for me, for travelling and any other activities requiring a lot of time on my feet. Not cheap, but long-lasting, and fantastic for walking and travelling.

Last edited by cubbie; Aug 29, 2010 at 4:51 pm
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:18 pm

Programs: qantas club
For city, desert and beach at that time of the year, I would be taking either light ankle boots or sporty maryjanes, a pair of pretty, comfortable sandals and a pair of water-friendly tevas or thongs (flip-flops, not undies). The camel fair in particular may see you sloshing through some rather nasty substances - that's where I think it will be easier to wash sandals and feet than to scrape and hope you got everything off...

Both the Asolo and the Ariat boots look bulky and heavy - I could see taking one of them if you wore them every time you travelled with your luggage, otherwise I'd go for dressier type of lace-up or slip on walking shoe - comfortable and reasonably stylish.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:58 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Recently I've fallen back in love with ballet-style flats, mainly the rubber-soled foldable variety, with a pair of good (preferably custom) orthotic insoles for support and cushioning. These are lightweight and can be discreetly carried in any medium handbag for when needed. My ballet flats that I use with the inserts are usually 1/2 size to 1 size up from my normal size.

The best part is that I can wear flip flops on the beach/park and then switch to something much more respectable when entering fancier establishments.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. Ecco, an old friend, is on my list for sure. I went to Nordstrom’s, where, I’ve been assured, shoe heaven is located. I chose 8 styles, and, believe it or not, they did not have a single one of them in my size/color. I did find some blue python dansko clogs that they are going to mail to me. The nurses wear this style a lot and tell me that even without socks they are wonderful shoes. They would be great for weather, but I purchased mainly for work--will have to see if they make the cut for the trip.

I do like both the maryjane and ballet flat ideas--saw several cute styles. If anyone knows of a brand/style that is very collapsible yet supportive enough to walk in, let me know. Maybe the size-up with orthotic will do the trick. I’m visiting my mom in the Bay Area, and really want to get at least my research and sizing done while I’m here. I’m not going to make the mistake I made on my first leg--wore an old pair of Eccos that I’d previously been able to wear for hours. After the red-eye to London and that interminable walk, I still developed a blister. So there will be a spare pair of shoes in my carry-on. Thank goodness for the duct tape I’m never without. Well, off for another foray to the mall.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
I highly recommend Endless.com for Ecco and a whole lot more! It is TOO easy to buy shoes from this site. If you have an Amazon.com user ID and password, it's even easier...
I love the overnight or two-day shipping and free returns, and can't remember the last time I bought shoes in an actual shoe store/department.
If I'm not sure about the fit (of an unfamiliar brand, for example) I'll order two sizes and ship back the one that doesn't fit. The way I look at it, the trip to the UPS store (drop off and walk out) is less of a hassle than going to the mall.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:09 am

You might find this thread helpful even though it was started quite some time ago.

favorite brands of shoes

Bobette
Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:33 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by tcl
Recently I've fallen back in love with ballet-style flats, mainly the rubber-soled foldable variety, with a pair of good (preferably custom) orthotic insoles for support and cushioning.
Any link? Are they something like these? This pair is polyurethane and don't look like they would hold up very much walking outdoors. Leather would be a lot nicer.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

I found some Naturalizers that look a lot like the flats lili posted. Except they have a stretchy gathered suede-like band across the foot. Looks MUCH better on my wide foot than the plain ones. Really like them, and very comfortable. And they are fairly compressible. I tried on some $40 shoes with a bag at the Gap--absolutely no support. Don't think they'd even be good slippers. Will look for a link in a bit for the naturalizers. And I'll look at that old thread, thanks, but first--dinner!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:58 pm

Didn't you say you hope to do some riding?

Ballet flats just don't cut it for that, you need ankle boots, or higher, with some type of heel.

I, too, have a wide-ish (C) foot, and find Nordstrom's an exercise in futility. They say they carry wide sizes, but never actually have what I want on the shelf.

If you have time while in the Bay Area, the SAS store (either Santa Clara or Gilroy - Gilroy's bigger) have the shoes I buy for comfort and walking. I won't call them stylish, but many's the trip I've been able to walk all day without pain in my SAS shoes, and that's worth more than looks to me.

Of course, being one who checks a bag and refuses to surrender to the "pack light or you're a failed traveler!" creed, I take along party shoes for dressier events. Just got back from an 8 day trans-con + 800 miles driving trip where I only had 3 pair of shoes and wished repeatedly that I had brought some others, too.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Didn't you say you hope to do some riding?

Ballet flats just don't cut it for that, you need ankle boots, or higher, with some type of heel.

I, too, have a wide-ish (C) foot, and find Nordstrom's an exercise in futility. They say they carry wide sizes, but never actually have what I want on the shelf.
LOL, CDT, that's quite a visual, riding in these (http://tinyurl.com/25fu2dj). I did purchase 3 pairs of shoes, the Naturalizers which will definitely make the trip, the Danskos for work, and a pair of Born (http://tinyurl.com/2ecvl33) not sure if they'll go or not, but at least I'd not have to worry about heel blisters. I'm not a hard-core one-bagger, but a great devotee of being able to handle my own bags, so more than 3 pairs of shoes probably not realistic with that goal. I can ride in athletic shoes, especially since it will be a one-time occurrence--I have some designed for riding that even have a spur rest. But I agree, some boots that could do double duty would be good, and I think these (http://tinyurl.com/2fc47c2) could work for city sight-seeing, too. They're very comfortable for walking, and I don't think they scream "redneck" (feel free to disagree, lol). At any rate, lots of fun looking.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Actually, Tevas would be perfect for the Pushkar camel fair. Sandals are the normal form of footwear in India, in general, even in cities.

One big consideration for much of Asia is that you may be taking your shoes off and putting them on a lot, depending on what sightseeing you do. Even in Tokyo, I found myself having to take shoes off at least a few times a day (and more often in more traditional Japanese cities). Therefore, shoes that don't require laces are very helpful. I had some Sketchers with velcro closure with me in Japan and got a lot of use out of them for that reason.

I've been using Keen sandals lately, but they are rather informal. I also have a pair of Ecco mary janes with a velcro closure that are comfortable to walk in and also easy on / easy off. Slip on shoes are rarely supportive enough for walking.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:36 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
My latest ballet flats are the Lindsay Phillips ones simply because they fit the light & fold-flat category (plus I got them on deep discount) and have more structure than the slipper disposable variety. The interchangeable snaps don't do anything for me here as the shoe is essentially the same color, and therefore the same shoe, with or without the snaps. Their fancier flip flops however are worth a look, as changing the strap does dramatically change the look of the shoe. The ballets run small so order 1 size up to get a good fit. If the orthos are thick, you may want to add an additional 1/2 size.

I also like Aerosoles for similar reasons.
http://www.aerosoles.com/product1.asp?P=BEC2DIFFER
http://www.aerosoles.com/product1.asp?P=SAVANNA

I also have a few pairs of Arche brand ballets but they are much heavier and four times as expensive than the Aerosoles and the Lindsay Phillips.

For a thicker sole I would go for Arche or Aerosoles, since the Lindsay Phillips has a thin sole. The shoe-in-a-pouch variety is really only suited as slippers or as temporary footwear for weddings and such, to relieve pressure off the feet and not meant for actual walking.

Dr. Scholl's brand offers some sturdier shoe-in-pouch styles (ballet-keds hybrids) that are unfortunately not available in the N. America market. I got mine in one of the department stores in Bangkok and I think they are from the European line.

Occasionally, I find ked's has a surprise offering or two in the fancy category.

Just wanted to say that I always wear ortho inserts with ballet flats so whether the shoe has support is not an issue. Getting a good fit with the ortho inserted in an entirely different matter.

Also if there is going to be riding and hiking involved I would second the need to bring at least one pair of sturdy shoes. The ballet + ortho combo is mainly for cities and getting past the dress code in fancier places, as well as avoiding the dreaded micro-gravel-in-sandal ed-feet when wandering through European parks. Basically it's a back-up shoe/plane shoe.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:08 am
tcl

As an example, for a 4-week archaeological trip to northern Greece, my travel buddy brought 1 pair plain (new) lace-up keds, 1 pair ballet slippers with custom ortho insert and 1 pair beach flip flops. For our S. Africa trip which included Kruger National Park & a horseback Safari, we both brought ballet flats with insert, hiking boots, and Chaco/Tevas.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: DL DM
I'm also a big fan of Ariat boots and used a pair of western style black paddock boots in Japan in January. Waterproof (and I was actually walking in water that came up over my ankles in some instances) and great for walking in cities as well. Tuck your trousers into the boot to keep the hems dry in heavy snow, rain. You might want to look at the English style paddock boots if you want something less cowboy/sporty, although they tend to run a bit narrower and you won't have the option of tucking in your trousers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.