Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Packing Light - article about a convert from heavy packing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go

In Friday's San Francisco Chronicle here.

This gal is a reformed over-packer who has changed her ways to carry on only. It has specific approaches and product recommendations to lighten the load. There are 16 pictures along with the article on clothing items and other gizmos she describes in the article.

I could quibble with some recommendations (PDFs on a smartphone in lieu of guidebooks?) but I thought she describes a very helpful and thorough approach to helping the reader whittle down voluntarily and happily.

Might be helpful for the over-packer in your life.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Thanks for the lead on that article. I'm thinking of using it in a training class for our new folks who are just starting to travel.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: DL DM
Re PDFs on a smartphone rather than guidebooks...

You can get your entire guidebook via Kindle or similar apps on your smartphone. This is also how I now deal with my leisure reading as well.

Interesting photos for the article, as they show an enormous amount of empty space in the suitcase (including empty athletic shoes). Not, in fact, a particular good job of packing, light or otherwise.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go
Originally Posted by yamakake
You can get your entire guidebook via Kindle or similar apps on your smartphone. This is also how I now deal with my leisure reading as well.
On a leisure trip I took last month, I used my Kindle's email address to email myself a Word document that I had made up with an itinerary, hours and prices, directions, and so on. It worked great! The pictures did not come across at all (I had a section with a map that was unreadable). But all the text worked great as a self-published guidebook of sorts.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:55 pm
k2o

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
Originally Posted by michellemck99
On a leisure trip I took last month, I used my Kindle's email address to email myself a Word document that I had made up with an itinerary, hours and prices, directions, and so on. It worked great! The pictures did not come across at all (I had a section with a map that was unreadable). But all the text worked great as a self-published guidebook of sorts.
I do the same only on my smartphone. pretty cool that you can do this to your kindle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.