Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

A new male/female traveler thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2006, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler

So today I am having lunch with 4 colleagues, 2 male and 2 female (and me). We all travel a fair amount for work. Somehow we start talking about traveling and both women start talking about checking the hotel sheets to be sure clean ones have been put on--before they unpack, since both have experienced "dirty" sheets (bed made, but unclean sheets left on)...eeewww......

Both men say...."Who cares, get in and sleep?"......

I am now a convert to going in and checking the sheets before unpacking in case I need to demand to switch rooms due to dirty sheets.

So, women FTers, do you check the sheets before you unpack?

Last edited by gretchendz; May 18, 2006 at 1:47 am
Old May 17, 2006, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
No, but I'm totally grossed out at the idea someone found dirty sheets on the bed. My kind of hotel was that? Ick.
Old May 17, 2006, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Never thought about it. But then I never was an immaculate housekeeper, anyway.
Old May 17, 2006, 9:11 pm

I'm fastidious about it. Can't imagine jumping under the sheets without checking first.

There are exceptions though -I do recall once checking in to a hotel after a girlfriend's wedding and I was completely smashed and being of temporarily impaired motor skills, failed to unzip the dress I was in. So I went to bed in it, still wet wine stains, unremoved makeup and all..... if they hadn't changed the sheets before, they would have had to change it afterwards for sure
Old May 17, 2006, 9:49 pm

eww.

Maybe they should start marketing portable black lights.
Old May 17, 2006, 10:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Solblanc
eww.

I think they do.

I always pull back the covers and take a look. If all is okay, and so far it has been, I check out the "covers". Since FT, I now toss the spread and make sure the top sheet is covering any blanket within two feet of my face. Sometimes I just turn up the heat and use only the top sheet.

You can also get freaked out trying on hats if you've ever known anyone who's had lice, usually acquired from a school age child.
Old May 18, 2006, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gretchendz
So today I am having lunch with 4 colleagues, 2 male and 2 female (and me). We all travel a fair amount for work. Somehow we start talking about traveling and both women start talking about checking the hotel sheets to be sure clean ones have been put on--before they unpack, since both have experienced "dirty" sheets (bed made, but unclean sheets left on)...eeewww......So, women FTers, do you check the sheets before you unpack?
Which hotels have your colleagues experienced dirty sheets? When they realized that, what did they do and then what did the hotels do for them?
Old May 18, 2006, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Solblanc
eww.

I work for a medical company.....If you ever black light a hotel room, you will NEVER travel again,EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 18, 2006, 11:10 am

Ignorance is Bliss

I also like to keep my immune system in shape by giving it a workout now and again!

Honestly never thought of checking the sheets. Seems like an awful lot of work to check into a room these days -- check the sheets, the bathroom sink, the coffee maker, the Bible (for money, apparently), behind the dresser for "lost" articles, under the mattress....
Old May 18, 2006, 2:42 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Sancha
I also like to keep my immune system in shape by giving it a workout now and again!

Honestly never thought of checking the sheets. Seems like an awful lot of work to check into a room these days -- check the sheets, the bathroom sink, the coffee maker, the Bible (for money, apparently), behind the dresser for "lost" articles, under the mattress....
LOL I'm w/ Sancha on this one...

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2006, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I check the sheets to make sure they look crisp. I don't actually unfold them.

BUT, my mom got me doing this years ago.... checking the mattress at the edge where the binding is attached. She claims that's where bedbugs hide. I did it every now & then & never found one. I haven't done it in a while.
Old May 19, 2006, 1:52 am

I have never, thank God, found dirty sheets yet.

And yes, one of the first things I do is check the sheets. Apart from the crispness, I also check by smelling it. THe smell of tide is always good ;-)
Old May 19, 2006, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by mikey1003
I work for a medical company.....If you ever black light a hotel room, you will NEVER travel again,EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay, now I'm really curious. Next time I travel, I'll definitely have a black light handy, along with a video cam

In case that happens to be a long time from now, does anyone care to do it for me?
Old May 19, 2006, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
BUT, my mom got me doing this years ago.... checking the mattress at the edge where the binding is attached. She claims that's where bedbugs hide.
.....I wish you hadn't said that. Ignorance was bliss---until now.
Old May 19, 2006, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Sancha

I only check the sheets if I found something behind the dresser.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.