Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purse/laptop bag in one?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
LODIS Audry large tote

I have this one

http://www.lodis.com/leather/shop-wo...mpartment/2820

I like the red piping on this one. there is a padded slot for a laptop.

In a pinch I can stuff my purse in the top and hold on to the long straps to claim as a "single item" when going through TSA or the gate for boarding.
No one questions me as long as I am only holding onto the tote with one hand and only holding on with the straps of the tote, even though the purse is quite visibly sticking out of the tote.

My purse is a mid size coach satchel style. Also black so they sort of "blend" together.

My rollerboard is the victorinox mobilizer 22" expandable in red. It has a nice slot in the front for a skinny laptop so you don't have to schlep it all over the airport in your shoulder bag. Also once you are on the ground and running around in a rental car you can unzip the middle zipper on this and it expands to fit more items. And it even has the classic swiss army tweezer stuck in an obscure place in case you need one. I thought that was a cute touch and I like the red/black trim of the rollerboard in contrast to the black tote with red piping. It fits all overhead bins on the regular sized planes, but not the CRJs unfortunately, however you can gate check.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 4:25 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by lili
I use a large lightweight squishy purse or a basic catch-all nylon bag or backpack and stuff laptop-in-sleeve, real use-on-the-street purse, and all other stuff in one of those. The purse is lightweight and holds an IBM laptop quite nicely along with a change of clothes, largish camera, book and cosmetics. It's also nice for carrying a bottle of wine or groceries into the hotel.
I recently bought several of the "flip and tumble" bags that lili links to in her post. I LOVE them! They go easily over your shoulder, and can hold a lot if you need them to. I've used them for groceries and also for carry-on items while flying. From now on when I fly, the things I need to use during the flight (lip balm, camera, Nook, pen to sign the Voices page in Hemispheres, etc.) will go into one of these bags, and into the seat pocket with the handle hanging out, which serves as a fairly obvious reminder and makes it much more difficult to leave anything behind when exiting the plane, and of course, the bag itself can scrunch down into its own little case. GREAT suggestion lili! Thank you! ^^
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Gold
Funny, I just posted this topic on the Travel Products board! I find that a zipper is essential as items can fall out on the security belt or when the bag has to be put away.

I found the perfect bag that fits my macbook, my purse (so that I don't have to empty it out and change purses, it's such a hassel) and a book/magazine. It's the Longchamp Le Pliage bag in Black, Large.
http://www.longchamp.com/_img/new/1899089001_0.jpg

It retails for $145. There are tons of them available on eBay but make sure you keep on the lookout for fakes: http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Spot-...00000006532305
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:01 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
I have a slimline/flat Coach purse that can hold car keys, a small wallet, a pack of gum, a small camera and a few makeup necessities. I can also stick it, empty, into my laptop bag or backpack if I find I don't need my laptop for something. It's similar to the Madison Op Art Sateen bag. The only differences are that mine has a black shoulder strap and no pad/sliding thing like what's pictured.

My wallet & car keys go into the laptop bag or backpack when I don't need my purse...I found this to be the best solution when I was in school. Convenient? Not always. (Especially when all you want is a danged Diet Coke out of the only Coca-Cola machine on campus!!!) Easier than fumbling with multiple bags? Definitely.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:43 am

If you want something that really looks like a handbag, I recommend Knomo's bags. I have the Cholet in red - very chic & not obvious its a laptop bag (holds a 15 inch laptop easily).

http://www.knomobags.com/usa/women/bags/shoulder-bags/

(their uk website has a larger selection of styles & colors & if you're flying through Heathrow you can buy them duty free there).

I also have a Sumdex Altitude laptop tote - its also a shoulder tote style & has enough room for papers, travel documents, wallet etc. I like it because its not black! (I have one in a sort of gray/blue color), the material is incredibly hard wearing & easy to clean & its got one of those back bands to slip it onto a wheelie stably.

http://www.genpi.com/Sumdex-Altitude...32.html#images
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by luxe_traveler1075
Funny, I just posted this topic on the Travel Products board! I find that a zipper is essential as items can fall out on the security belt or when the bag has to be put away.

I found the perfect bag that fits my macbook, my purse (so that I don't have to empty it out and change purses, it's such a hassel) and a book/magazine. It's the Longchamp Le Pliage bag in Black, Large.
http://www.longchamp.com/_img/new/1899089001_0.jpg

It retails for $145. There are tons of them available on eBay but make sure you keep on the lookout for fakes: http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Spot-...00000006532305
I use this bag, but I just fold it into it's tiny size and put it in my rollerboard. My wallet etc goes in my "lie flat" computer bag (I cannot believe how much easier that thing makes security)

I hate to say this, but there is no purse exemption so if you have to try the "sneak" method you need to rethink your packing!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:22 pm

I have a RuMe fold up tote and a Timbuk2 Fold Up Messenger for plane travel.
Tote fits a macbook pro 15" with a sleeve including a Built NY carrier with handles

Tote: http://www.delight.com/RuMe-ALL-Fold...ghtweight-Tote
Sleeve/Bag: http://www.builtny.com/laptop-portfo...wide-prod.html
Messenger: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/hidden-messenger

The fold up tote is usually expanded as my personal item in which I shove all my seat essentials, laptop in a sleeve, camera, and water. It has a zip top, one zip pocket on the front, and two open side pockets which are useful for water or umbrella. The 1.5" straps have velvet on the underside to help prevent slipping and I find the wider straps easier on my shoulders than thin ones like the pilage. If I use the Built NY sleeve/bag, interior of tote is a bit of a tighter fit and prevents the tote from getting too stuffed.

When I arrive I usually take out the Timbuk2 messenger and use that as my purse or day bag. If going shopping for more stuff (especially heavy), I'll also unpack the tote, roll it up, and take it with me as the spare bag.

It isn't the most professional or stylish solution but I find having two packable bags gives me more options in the luggage ensemble. Sometimes I'll take a small fashionable purse to pack in luggage, the laptop sleeve with a strap, and pack my tote.

Last edited by freecia; Nov 2, 2010 at 3:45 pm Reason: added info about pockets
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:06 pm

Laptop bag/purse in one

I had the same problem.... Kempton & Darrow bags has really cool purse's with laptop compartments. They accomadate up to a 17" screen in most cases. Now I just carry one bag, has room for all my carry on stuff...kemptondarrow.com

good luck ~
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Ten dollar bag from..

I bought a $10 computer bag from Microcenter.
Advantages:
1. Cheap
2. Has a separate section for the laptop-you don't have to take the laptop off your bag. It just opens into two compartments.
3. Has a front section, reasonably big which can hold AC adapter, a small mouse, wallet, cell phon etc.
4. Reasonably good looking.
5. Can be used by both men and women.
6. Has sufficient cushioning.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Premier Plat
I have a Clark and Mayfield bag that I travel with that is a purse/laptop bag/travel bag/general all-purpose carry on. I just toss my laptop in, stash a small purse in it, and have plenty of room for a book, bottle of water, ipod, magazines, etc.

I love my Clark & Mayfield bag, but I'm seriously tempted by the Moonsus bags posted about earlier!!! Those are gorgeous!

I love the idea and the comfort of a backpack, but they just don't look professional to me.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: LH SEN
I keep my laptop in a sleeve in my Longchamp Le Pliage for the security check. Right after, the laptop goes straight in to my trolley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.