Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Contact Lens Solution

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:57 pm
wma
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite

Do you put your contact lens solution in the allowed "quart bag" when you go through security? Are we supposed to? I for one do not and have not been questioned.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by wma
Do you put your contact lens solution in the allowed "quart bag" when you go through security? Are we supposed to? I for one do not and have not been questioned.
My understanding, for what it's worth, is that we ARE supposed to be putting the contact solution in the quart baggie. I was told by a TSA screener that it is very difficult for them to detect contact lens solution, so that is why you, and on occassion, I, have not gotten stopped for forgetting to put it in our "baggie". I got a prescription for my 8 ounce bottle of contact solution, and I actually try to remember to put it loose in the screening bin.

Kate
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I toss it into a separate bag which has liquid meds in it - haven't been given any questions over it yet <knock on wood> - and that usually includes a 2oz or 4oz multi-purpose solution plus a 3 oz cleaning solution.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:54 pm
wma
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kykate
I was told by a TSA screener that it is very difficult for them to detect contact lens solution, so that is why you, and on occassion, Kate
I wonder why. The product I use is Ciba "Clear Care" which when you think about it is hydrogen Peroxide, which should be a no-no.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Saline is considered one of those OTC/Medical items -- doesn't belong in the single baggie you're permitted, but should be pulled and thrown in the bin with the baggie separate from the luggage. Never been stopped/questioned, occasionally they peek at the bin (but only occasionally) and haven't had a problem or threat as the case may be.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've put liquid/gel meds with perscriptions in a separate gallon size ziplock bag and put the other liquids in the quart bag and presented both. I haven't had a problem yet.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Remember 311
3 ozs or less
1 quart bag
1 per person
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Remember 311
3 ozs or less
1 quart bag
1 per person
we're not talking about generic toiletries but an "exception" item per TSAs own regulations!
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Post a link to the exception on the TSA website.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Post a link to the exception on the TSA website.
How about you post a link to the general TSA rules?

They're found in the same place.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"please" or at least taking a look first for yourself

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#2

Saline solution - You are allowed to carry up to 3 oz., of eye drops in a clear, one-quart plastic bag. Volumes greater than 3 oz. must be declared to the Security Officer and cannot be carried in your clear, one-quart bag.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:56 pm

Your wish be our command.....
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

IN particular... the part reading:

To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers there are no limits on the amounts of the following liquids, gels and aerosols you may carry through a security checkpoint:

All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:34 am
wma
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kkirksea
Your wish be our command.....
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

IN particular... the part reading:

To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers there are no limits on the amounts of the following liquids, gels and aerosols you may carry through a security checkpoint:

All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
However contact lens cleaner such as "Clear Care" by Ciba is not Saline Solution. It's an overnight cleaner/disinfectant and it's hydrogen peroxide based.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by wma
However contact lens cleaner such as "Clear Care" by Ciba is not Saline Solution. It's an overnight cleaner/disinfectant and it's hydrogen peroxide based.
I haven't had any problems with carrying contact lens cleaner or multi-purpose solutions in larger than 3 oz bottles (admittedly I haven't tried taking a 12 oz bottle through, nor would I want to drag that much along with me). As I mentioned above, I toss them in a separate baggie with a couple other liquid meds and nobody's had an issue with them yet (I also have a note from my doctor which says I will be traveling with contact lens solutions).
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any further updates on this? I had LASIK about 8 years ago but my vision has deteriorated. So I'm going to the optometrist on Monday to get contacts. It's been at least 10 years since I wore contacts, so I've never had to deal with the liquids nonsense. Do people have trouble carrying saline/disinfectant through security?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.