Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried Skechers Shape-ups for travel?

Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year

Okay, so I know they're ugly, look like space shoes etc., but I need a pair of walking shoes that I can also use on the treadmill/elliptical. Has anyone tried the Skechers (seem to be modeled after the MBT shoes my mom used to wear).
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: DL Plat
No personal experience, but a woman at work has had a pair of Shape-Ups for a few months now-- she reports no weight loss or increase in muscle tone, despite wearing them regularly. Small sample size, so YMMV.

I have heard some anecdotal reports of them being unstable (particularly on treadmills/ellipticals) due to the curved sole, resulting in a predisposition to injury-- any minor loss of balance can result in a fairly significant fall.

You're probably better off with a pair of cross-trainers.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:36 pm

http://www.skechers.com/info/shape_ups_5_questions

5. Can I run, use the treadmill and elliptical
machines, do aerobics, climb stairs and hills,
and/or drive in my Shape-ups?

Shape-ups are specifically designed for walking, and using them regularly during your daily activities is the best way to get an easy workout. However, you can complement your Shape-ups workout by using them on hills, treadmills, elliptical machines, and low-impact gym activities such as weight training. Once you get used to wearing your Shape-ups, they're also fine for driving. Since the midsole and outsole are designed for low-impact activity, we don't recommend that you run or do high-impact aerobics in them.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:00 pm

These must be the shoes I saw on a (somewhat older than) middle-aged woman at the gym the other day. My impression was that a) that was an awful lot of shoe and b) she was in line to break an ankle.

Didn't realize those were supposed to be the good points!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:58 pm
sjl

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Mr sjl felt sore in the rear area when we first used them but I didn't. I've tried them for several walks and IMHO it doesn't seem to do as promised. It has 4 layer soles for supposedly more cushion and comfort but after a 2.5 mile walk, my feet felt slightly sore. Haven't used them again for the last couple of months.

They now have new shorter Skechers that are supposedly made for running and jogging. I was told before that you should only use the taller shape-ups for walking but now I was told you can also use them for jogging and running too if you are used to wearing them.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:09 am

Just to weigh in, I tried the Reebok Easy Tones. Priced higher than the Shape-ups, they only lasted about 2 months before the 'cushions' on the soles popped thereby releasing a 'squish' noise every time I took a step.

No noticeable change at all either, darn it!
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:23 pm
Suspended

I tried them, they don't work
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
I got a pair and I'm not really impressed with them. We do loads of walking when we visit cities (up to 9 or 10 miles a day generally) and I wouldn't even consider them for anything like that. If you are just walking around, but not moving constantly, they are ok, but I prefer my running shoes. When I got mine, Sketchers was giving away a free pair of the exercise flip flops... Other than looking cute, I basically find them useless. They aren't extremely comfortable either.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Exp/1M, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Pre Plat
These shoes have no research to back up their claims (no sound, statistically significant research at least). But they do come with an increased risk of ankle injury... It would suck to have that kind of an injury during a trip.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by black dawn
I tried them, they don't work
I have a pair and I LOVE THEM!!! They do nothing for fitness, but I asked my podiatrist about these shoes and he said what they are good for is your posture. They force you to stand properly and walk properly without slouching.

I do a LOT of walking for my work and at the end of the day, my feet and legs do not feel like lead weights. I still have a bit of spring in my steps. They are comfortable, but you do have to get used to them. The first few times when I would lean back I felt I was going to fall over. You really don't have any more shoe, you have less of a heel.

I have a pair that look like Mary Jane's. They are easy to slip on and off at the airport and are my shoe of travel choice.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, AS MVP
I bought some 3 weeks ago and it took me about 2 workouts to get used to them. I work out a lot, eliptical and weight room 5 days a week about 2 hours at a time, so my shoes must be comfortable. I don't know if they are doing anything "extra" for me, but I do like them. That being said, I wouldn't wear them while traveling, especially for long hauls and multiple airports. I want all the stability I can get in those situations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.