Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Your absolute favorite pieces of clothing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your absolute favorite pieces of clothing?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: Velocity Rewards
Icebreaker!

I love my (many!) Icebreaker long sleeve tops. I have a big selection of lightweight 'Nature' and 'Bodyfit' tops in various colours that I layer during winter.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta DM!
I just got my circle scarf from ashanddans.. Now to try it out and make it look as good as it does on their web site!!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 9:36 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by travelingsalesgal
I just got my circle scarf from ashanddans.. Now to try it out and make it look as good as it does on their web site!!
Love that site! Thanks to all who mentioned these infinity scarves as I hadn't seen them before. Looks like quite a versatile piece.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by notmensa
I love my (many!) Icebreaker long sleeve tops. I have a big selection of lightweight 'Nature' and 'Bodyfit' tops in various colours that I layer during winter.
Yes - agree on this one completely. They have some stylish looking tops (and now skirts and dresses) that don't look so "sporty".
Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:17 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
My current favourite is a huge Jim Thompson printed cotton lawn square (I think it's supposed to be a square sarong/pareo) that is thin enough to be cool but the prints make it not so see thru. It's compact and lightweight and can be tied as a skirt, dress, or used as a shawl or top. The prints are quite fancy (think Hermes) and don't give the impression that you just walked right off a beach. I use Hermes scarf rings or large stone rings found at a hawker stand in Chinatown for tying.

I also have a mid-thigh tunic-dress in cotton lawn in black that I bring everywhere. Can use as a dress, a top or a nightgown. I also have a second one that is one size larger that I put a button placket down the front to use as a robe/lightweight summer jacket.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA, DL, *wd, IC
Great thread!

Another vote for this terrific thread! It's very timely for me -- we are making our first trip from US to Australia and NZ, for eight weeks starting mid-October. We'll be all over the weather spectrum, from hot and beachy FNQ and the GBR to (probably) rainy and cool Southern Alps of NZ.

I'm not the world's lightest packer, but I am determined to stay as pared down as I can. The more advice from experts, the better!

Love the Patagonia Bandha dress, I went right to the site to order one. Perfect, and versatile. Thanks for the tips! ^
Old Jun 26, 2010, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Buster
Yes - agree on this one completely. They have some stylish looking tops (and now skirts and dresses) that don't look so "sporty".
Yes, I'm completely thrilled that I can wear my outdoor gear to my smart casual workplace!! I've just bought myself two Icebreaker Resort Polos for my upcoming trip to China. The tops are shapely and at 140 g/m2, very light. Can't wait to see how they perform in the heat & humidity.

Another bonus is that Icebreaker products dye really well. I buy the 2-3 of the same top when they're on sale and then use either Dylon or iDye fabric dyes to change the colour. The red and violet dyes give a wonderful, vibrant result.

Icebreaker tops + light silk scarves (summer) or heavy pashminas (winter) = great travel wardrobe!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
I was just checking out the Icebreaker stuff. It's all made with superfine merino? I've always had problems with my skin and wool, even merino. I wonder if they'd send me a swatch so I could tell if it would work for me.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: BA, DL, *wd, IC
Bandha disappointment

Originally Posted by SB_Travlr
Another vote for this terrific thread! ... Love the Patagonia Bandha dress, I went right to the site to order one. Perfect, and versatile. Thanks for the tips! ^
Just a heads-up/follow up. The dress arrived last week, and I was very disappointed. Fabric felt too heavy and hot, and VERY stretchy-- so it fit like the skin on a sausage (as my Mum used to say.)

I have ordered a similar style, different fabric, from the Boden sale catalog, so that may work better -- I've been pleased with their clothiing in the past.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:05 pm

A month with six pieces of clothing?

Did you hear about these people who decided to go a month wearing only six items already in their closets, not counting shoes, underwear or accessories?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/22/fa...IXERS.html?hpw
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:25 pm

I'm all about the broomstick skirts that are back in style now! So easy to wash and hang dry, no ironing, etc!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by cotomom
I'm all about the broomstick skirts that are back in style now! So easy to wash and hang dry, no ironing, etc!
Totally agree - I've purchased mine from garnethill.com when they've gone on sale. Just twist them up and throw in a bag.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:22 pm

I've just returned from 2 weeks in China, wearing my Icebreaker Polos every day. They were fantastic - light, dried quickly, washed well in hotel room sinks.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Has anyone tried this wrap sweater from Victoria's Secret yet? I'm considering buying, as sort of a larger, sleeved version of my infinity scarf, but I'm not sure if I'd love it. I'm also wondering if I might be able to make my own. Any reviews?

GG
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:18 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by GeoGirl
Has anyone tried this wrap sweater from Victoria's Secret yet? I'm considering buying, as sort of a larger, sleeved version of my infinity scarf, but I'm not sure if I'd love it. I'm also wondering if I might be able to make my own. Any reviews?

GG
I have something just like that in a stretch mesh/tulle fabric that came with a large oval silver ring so I could style it in approximately six different styles. I'm not sure that cashmere would be so versatile or take the amount of tying and stretching. When wearing the "sweater" tossed over my shoulder, it kept on sliding down and had to be pinned up. I'm petite so leaving the two longer front bits flapping didn't look good on me. As cashmere is thicker and heavier than the mesh/tulle, wouldn't tying in front (as shown in the purple picture) be too lumpy? Overall a very versatile style and I wish I got mine in more colors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.