Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Your absolute favorite pieces of clothing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your absolute favorite pieces of clothing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: qantas club
Originally Posted by Mlle_Mustard
...The one piece of clothing that truly stood out for its versatility was the Patagonia Bandha dress. It dries quickly, doesn't wrinkle, and goes from casual to dressy with minimal accessorizing:
http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod...&p=58728-0-961
That looks a great piece, though for me I would want more flare in the skirt. I wonder if I can find that fabric anywhere here...
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
The one piece that I could absolutely not travel without is a rain jacket. I like the Patagonia Shell http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod...?p=27185-0-171
Maybe a bit pricey but well worth it for packability, lightweight, versatile, and above all - waterproof!
Old May 18, 2010, 7:01 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
My absolute all time favourite item of clothing is a seamless black cotton tank top from the Profils collection by DIM. The back is high but the front has a very flattering medium-low scoop that stays put when you have to bend down or stretch forward so there's no accidentally flashing anyone. The way the cotton is knit makes it very forgiving and flattering - gently skimming along any extra lumps gained from food on the road. The straps are just wide enough to cover a good bra strap and did I mention that the tank stays put?

It's the perfect top that can be styled up or down.

Sadly, I was told that The Bay in Canada no longer carries them and their distributor in Asia doesn't carry their intimates anymore only their hosery.

Does anyone know if this is still available in France? or is the Profils line discontinued?
Old May 18, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by freecia
Thanks for reminding me about circle scarves.
Wow, I'd never seen that before, but that is really cool! I often get free tee shirts in my biz, and often the only sizes are XXLs. This would be a great way to get use from them!
Old May 20, 2010, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Pashmina; I have more than I care to admit to owning. But they're great on the road (and at home when out & about etc)

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2010, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I have found some of the best pieces are my golf clothes! They don't wrinkle, are lighter so take up less room, and have the wonderful wicking property. There are some really nice golf pieces that don't look "golf" and there are golf skirts that can easily be paired with heels for a nice evening look. I am partial to EP, but there are many good brands. Also, easy to wash and drip dry.
Old May 24, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Nike workout pants that look like slacks. (I took out the white logo stichting). Comfy for long flights, roll up with no wrinkles for packing.

Sarong- is it a shawl? A thin blanket? A head covering for an unexpected rainstorm? A hobo bag for my purchases? A picnic blanket? Suncovering? Love these things!

Not clothing, but I never board a flight without my Cup Pilot. Holds my ipod handy when I don't have a drink. I've now bought 10 for gifts.
Old May 29, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL GM
Black anything that doesn't wrinkle. I have some Joan Vaas pants that I love, and a bunch of Eileen Fisher.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:05 am

A selection of light weight superfine wool tops that can be layered. Can be hand washed, rolled in a towel and will dry overnight.
http://www.hedrena.com.au/Home.html
Old Jun 5, 2010, 6:45 pm

My style is probably too flowery/lacy compared to most people but I love love love everything from this store called Axes Femme in Japan. It's basically the Anthropologie of Japan but 1000x times more girly I guess this is what happens to my fashion sense when I spend almost a year here...

My favorite piece is currently this gorgeous drape-y cover-up sweater with rose detailing and lace (hope the link works). it's much prettier in person and can be worn with anything. i'm in love
Old Jun 11, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
This is, for me, the Best Thread Ever. I haven't been traveling as much the last couple of years, but I'm ready to get back in the game and had been looking at my old, heavy-feeling Chico's clothes with a bit of dread. Now I'm excited about bellinis and circle scarves, Lucy "walkabout" slacks, Bandha dresses and rain jackets. And even the cup pilot - how great is that??

Now I'm wondering...where did you get your pashminas? Any recommendations?

On the matter of shoes:
Sometimes I would like to take 3 pairs of shoes: trainers, comfortable walking shoes (e.g. my Dansko clogs), and a pair of nice, standard heels for dressy evenings. In the end, I usually end up with just the clogs, or the clogs and a pair of heels I don't wear because they're not comfortable enough. I have a pair of heels I bought at Target a couple of years ago that are surprisingly comfortable, for as cheap as they were. But they're green and beige and very "autumn" and I'm wondering - what are your favorite standby (cute and comfortable) heels for travel?

And finally:
I tend to have some real problems with wool, even super-fine merino. There's something about wool that my skin just doesn't like. What's my best alternative?

Thank you, thank you, thank you, to the OP for posting this thread, and thank you to the fashionable women who have contributed! This is wonderful and I'm developing my shopping and project lists!

Warmly,
GG
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by GeoGirl
This is, for me, the Best Thread Ever. I haven't been traveling as much the last couple of years, but I'm ready to get back in the game and had been looking at my old, heavy-feeling Chico's clothes with a bit of dread. Now I'm excited about bellinis and circle scarves, Lucy "walkabout" slacks, Bandha dresses and rain jackets. And even the cup pilot - how great is that??
I second this being an awesome thread. Those infinity scarves are so totally cool, I think I'm going to order one right now.. If nothing else, hopefully this is a good "bump" to allow other fashionistas to post good finds!!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by mhen
A selection of light weight superfine wool tops that can be layered. Can be hand washed, rolled in a towel and will dry overnight.
http://www.hedrena.com.au/Home.html
I am very sad Hedrena doesn't seem to sell online or in U.S. stores. I love their Periwinkle color.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Owlchick
Wow, I'd never seen that before, but that is really cool! I often get free tee shirts in my biz, and often the only sizes are XXLs. This would be a great way to get use from them!
Owlchick, I don't know how into sewing you might be, but there are tons of ways to use XXL t-shirts. In fact, I'm totally envious of your free t-shirts right now, because I just found this site: http://www.giannyl.com There are several others in a similar vein, but this girl, GiannyL, is a 25 year-old Paraguayan who is awesome with recycling stuff like t-shirts, sheets, and pillowcases into really cute clothes, and she has tons of videos showing how she does it. I spent this past weekend looking at this site and Instructables.com, Threadbanger.com, CraftStylish.com, etc. and got dizzy at all the possibilities!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:28 am

BTW....to anyone who's thinking about following that pattern for the Infinity or circle scarf...I made mine yesterday and here are a couple of tips:

- The pattern calls for "any fabric" but look at the Ash & Dan's site and make sure you get a lightweight knit. I'm thinking that t-shirt fabric is a little heavier and stiffer than you really want for this scarf. I bought a cotton jersey and it looks okay, but I think it's a bit too heavy.

- As it currently is written, if you follow the pattern strictly, you'll end up with a scarf that's way shorter than the Ash & Dan's version. The scarf you make with the pattern comes out to like 49 inches in circumference, but the Ash & Dan's scarf is 79".

I'm currently shopping online for a lightweight poly/rayon knit or a bamboo knit, and I'm going to try again. Making this thing takes like 30 minutes, if even that. It's the French seam that takes the time. But since it's so quick. I didn't mind that this first one wasn't quite right. There's enough fabric to do something else later anyway.

GG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.