FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wings Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wings-alliance-402/)
-   -   Does The Wings Alliance Face Possible Extinction? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wings-alliance/266669-does-wings-alliance-face-possible-extinction.html)

Canarsie Sep 21, 2003 1:09 pm

Does The Wings Alliance Face Possible Extinction?

With Air France in talks with KLM, and Continental Airlines (and possibly Northwest Airlines) possibly joining SkyTeam, is the Wings alliance in possible jeopardy of facing extinction?

Is it possible that the Wings alliance as a whole might be folded into the SkyTeam alliance?

LH738 Sep 23, 2003 1:54 am

The brand "Wings alliance" doesn't exist anymore since a long time: officialy there's no Wings alliance. The KLM/Northwest alliance is the base partnership and some partner airlines worked (more or less) with them. Some of these partners have very close connections (e.g. Kenya Airways with KLM) while other partners are rather independant (e.g. Malaysian which started codeshares with Garuda recently). Therefore it won't happen that these partners will be folded as a whole into SkyTeam. It will be more an airline by airline decission: which airline is invited to join and which airline then actually joins? It may happen that we see many of these partner airlines in SkyTeam. All of them (e.g. Kenya Airways, Malaysian, China Southern, Alaska Air, TAM, Malev) would enlarge the SkyTeam network significantly. I'd be glad to see these airlines in SkyTeam.

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M

Canarsie Sep 23, 2003 6:16 am

Thank you for the clarification and thoughts, LH738.

Incidentally, China Southern and Malaysian Airlines already have a limited partnership with Delta Air Lines. However, I would not mind seeing the remaining airlines partner into the SkyTeam alliance as well.

Perhaps it will soon be time (if not already) for the administrative personnel at FlyerTalk to entirely eliminate the Wings forum altogether.

[This message has been edited by Canarsie (edited 09-23-2003).]

alanw Feb 11, 2004 5:40 pm

I guess it's already official that Wings is no more (I had no idea) but now that the KL-AF merger is a done deal, and NW and KL have announced their entry into SkyTeam this spring, and AY is joining as well, I guess we'll actually have "alliance" topics to discuss now.

With Dutch hospitality, French efficiency, Italian reliability, and the safety record of KE, there's bound to be plenty of lively discussion. It will also be interesting to see if CO comes along. They appear to be moving further and further away from NW.

------------------
-alan in sitges, home of the new, improved, and now legendary Si-Re-Do

QF ExLurker Feb 19, 2004 7:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Perhaps it will soon be time (if not already) for the administrative personnel at FlyerTalk to entirely eliminate the Wings forum altogether.</font>
No, please leave it active. Please look at Ansett Airlines forum to see how the forum of a liquidated airline can still be put to various good uses.

By the way, did Wings ever actually exist officially under that brand name? I don't think NW or KL ever used that name publicly, as opposed to in-house planning.

[This message has been edited by QF ExLurker (edited Feb 19, 2004).]

Canarsie Feb 24, 2004 8:49 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alanw:
I guess it's already official that Wings is no more (I had no idea) but now that the KL-AF merger is a done deal, and NW and KL have announced their entry into SkyTeam this spring, and AY is joining as well, I guess we'll actually have "alliance" topics to discuss now.

With Dutch hospitality, French efficiency, Italian reliability, and the safety record of KE, there's bound to be plenty of lively discussion. It will also be interesting to see if CO comes along. They appear to be moving further and further away from NW.
</font>
It appears as though Continental and Northwest will indeed be joining the SkyTeam alliance.