WestJet Cuts TA Commissions

Old May 28, 09, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

WestJet Cuts TA Commissions

Received the following announcment today. Still good compared to AC, but a big drop for those in the industry.

WestJet today announced that it is modifying its Travel Agent Commission program.

Under the current system, travel agent bookings made online at westjet.com or through a GDS earn a nine per cent base commission, while Group bookings earn a commission of five per cent.

Effective July 1, 2009, all bookings on WestJet will now earn a base commission of four per cent whether booked via Agent WebLink online, a GDS, or a Group Booking made through the Sales Super Centre. All bookings made prior to July 1, 2009, and modified before October 1, 2009, will still receive a base of nine per cent via the GDS or Agent WebLink or five per cent for any group bookings not traveled.

‘WestJet has consistently placed a high value on the relationship that we have with our travel trade partners”, said Duncan Bureau, Vice-President, Sales & Airline Partnerships. “Travel agents remain an important part of WestJet’s growth plans for the foreseeable future. We are committed to managing costs and will be looking at all parts of our business, including internally and externally, for economic benefit. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all travel trade partners for their continued support and exceptional service to our mutual customers.”
Old May 29, 09, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Not much to say except
Old May 29, 09, 12:30 pm

I think this just reflects the reality the TA's have almost totally shifted from being a sales agent for airlines to a purchasing agent for travelers. TA customers are going to have to get used to paying extra for acting on their behalf.

I haven't used a TA in years (other than our in-house corporate TA) and except for complex travel needs, there doesn't seem to be much need for a TA to book routine flights. For my on-line challenged friends and family, I act as the TA.
Old May 29, 09, 3:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan P
Originally Posted by robsaw View Post
I haven't used a TA in years (other than our in-house corporate TA) and except for complex travel needs, there doesn't seem to be much need for a TA to book routine flights. For my on-line challenged friends and family, I act as the TA.
Same here. I even try to avoid using our in-house TA because they have consistently messed up my seat selections.
Old May 30, 09, 2:22 am

I have a TA that we usually use for cruises. I would classify myself as easy money for the TA, since I simply tell her what I want and she books it.

Our next cruise, I booked direct with the cruise line and transferred the booking to my TA. When I was on the phone with the Carnival rep, I wanted to see if their direct price was any better than the quote I had already received from my TA. Turns out that Carnival has a policy that their price is their price regardless of whether booked online, through the Carnival rep or a TA. I told the Carnival rep that I'll just let my TA book it then so she gets something. He said it was no problem to book with him, so he gets credit for the sale, and he would transfer it over to my TA for me. Hopefully my TA decides to offer her thanks for the easy commission in some sort of gift on board or something, but if not, at least I'll be satisfied knowing some of my money stayed in the local economy.
Old Jun 2, 09, 9:06 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite Member, OK Plus (CSA Czech)
...this explains why the codeshare with Southwest is delayed. Looks like someone didn't like the idea of WS paying 9% commission on routings involving Southwest operated flights.
Old Jun 9, 09, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

WestJet today announced that it has successfully concluded a series of meetings with the Association of Canadian Travel Agencies, resulting in an increase in commissions for the travel agency community. WestJet will increase the commissions paid to travel agents from the previously announced four per cent to seven per cent effective July 1, 2009. Prior to July 1, 2009, commissions will be nine per cent.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: