Old May 27, 09, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Porter overtakes WestJet in Eastern Triangle

Let's put the cat amongst the pigeons.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...cle1134299.ece

Last edited by PropWasher; May 28, 09 at 6:50 pm
Old May 28, 09, 9:37 am

I'm really not surprised. I think it's mainly business traffic in the Eastern Triangle and AC and Porter are set up to offer specific things to business travellers. Fares are not necessarily going to attract business travellers, it's the other things inflight perks and Westjet doesn't have the product that certain business travellers are looking for.
Old Jun 1, 09, 9:53 pm

maybe those hardened eastern businessmen don't enjoy amateur humor and bad jokes at 7am on a monday
Old Jun 1, 09, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by yvrcritic View Post
maybe those hardened eastern businessmen don't enjoy amateur humor and bad jokes at 7am on a monday
In fact, this doesn't occur much, if at all, on the Eastern Triangle routes anymore. FAs are now trained to read their crowd and to respect the time of day.
Old Jun 3, 09, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver; AF-KLM Silver; SPG Plat; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by YYCguy View Post
I'm really not surprised. I think it's mainly business traffic in the Eastern Triangle and AC and Porter are set up to offer specific things to business travellers. Fares are not necessarily going to attract business travellers, it's the other things inflight perks and Westjet doesn't have the product that certain business travellers are looking for.
All of that and more. Don't forget location, location, location. For downtown dwellers (downtown Toronto, that is), or those with offices downtown, or those from Ottawa or Montreal coming in for the day to visit the downtown core, it is MUCH more convenient to use the Island Airport (meaning Porter) than to trek out to or from YYZ - Pearson. The Island Airport is a ten minute, ten dollar taxi ride from downtown, and YYZ is, what? fifty dollars and between twenty minutes and an hour by car, depending on traffic, with no fixed rail link or other reasonable way to get to and from YYZ.

Moreover, once you get to the Island Airport, you might have to wait ten minutes for the ferry, but then you are pretty much where you need to be. Contrast that with the sometimes seemingly endless walking and line-ups at YYZ.

I am a huge fan of Porter, as are the many business people who fly Porter often enough to provide these impressive numbers for this relatively new airline, but the appeal of the downtown location of the Island Airport must be an important factor for these flyers, quite apart from the merit of the airline. Location matters for me, and I am sure that it matters for many others!
Old Jun 4, 09, 6:03 pm

I bet the sexy flight attendants have a bit to do with it also.
Old Jun 4, 09, 10:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver; AF-KLM Silver; SPG Plat; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by justaname View Post
That too!
Old Jun 12, 09, 9:44 pm

Programs: Air Canada
Originally Posted by justaname View Post
Professional, heart felt service, should be the epitome of customer service.
To judge a service provider by appearance alone, is to be shallow.
I definitely appreciate beauty, but the attractiveness of airline crew members, is not a criterion in my choice of airlines.
Society has progressed past this point!!

Search this Thread