Wiki Posts
Search

When To Book Dec/Jan Travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2009, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles
When To Book Dec/Jan Travel

I'll be heading to the US and Canada in Dec/Jan and will need to fly from LAX to YYC around 6 December and from YYC to either YVR or Victoria (sorry don't know the code) around 2 January.

A number of people that I have spoken to here in Australia (even travel agents) have actually recommended Westjet as a better choice over AC.

Have looked at their website and understandably at this time only regular prices are shown with what it looks like the current seat sale finishing on flights up to about the end of October.

How early/late should I make a booking for these flights. Is Dec/Jan a particluarlay busy period for flights to and within Canada.

Cheers
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:11 pm

I would say after May you should start checking regularly for seat sales. They can go higher than 50% off...
Old Mar 22, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
I've never flown WestJet into the US, but for domestic bookings I rarely book more than a month ahead. I find a month is about the threshold between booking too close and paying more, or booking too far in advance and paying more.

Also, even if it says "Seat Sale Fare" in bright colours, doesn't necessarily mean it's the best price. For YYC-YVR I'd be wanting to pay no more than $99, to YYJ (Victoria) is usually $5-10 more. I've gotten as low as $79 on that route, and being that it's Christmastime it could go to around $119. Definately don't pay more than that.

Cheers!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:05 am

Early December is low season. The best deals are usually offered starting 4 to 6 weeks before the flight date. Start looking at fares sometime in October, and check every few days until you see a good offer (the fares for a particular flight sometimes change several times per week). You shouldn't have a problem getting a seat, and if by some freakish twist of fate West Jet is busy on Dec. 6 (which is quite unlikely), there are plenty of other airlines you can use to get between LAX and YYC.

January 2 is completely different. It is the end of the Christmas holidays and one of the busiest times of the year for airlines in Canada. You are unlikely to get a seat sale on that flight. Fares usually start creeping upwards as flights fill up sometime towards the end of Sptember, although that is just a rough guideline. If you see a reasonable deal for that flight, buy it.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:07 am

I agree with Tuneman's comment about seat sale fares. They can be anything from 5% off to 50% off or more. You should be able to get close to 50% off for a flight in early December.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your comments. I'll keep a check on the Westjet website.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 3:17 pm

Victoria's code is YYJ.

Westjest averages 4 flights a day on 737's, whereas AC offers around 3 on CRJ's.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Book AC now or wait for WS

Just checked Air Canada and they currently are offering LAX/YYC for $154 USD per person (inclusive taxes) compared with $272 USD on WestJet.

Is this a good price, or should I hold off until later this year and hopefully get a seat sale on WestJet?

Being from Australia and not flown either, is one airline better than the other?
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by soak01
..., is one airline better than the other?
AC - if you collect *A frequent flyer points.
- if you like video on demand programming
- free advance seat selection if you book in the tango plus fare column.
Operates E190/A319/320.

WS - if you like live TV.
Operates B737s.

Both charge for headsets. Both will give you a drink & snack. Both have buy on board.

If you don't care about any of the above, it's all flight times & pricing.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 4:18 pm

You should be able to get somewhere around Cdn$129 (plus taxes, etc.) for LAX-YYC.

West Jet and Air Canada are both decent airlines, and the differences between them are minimal.

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; Apr 15, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.