Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WS flight incident master thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Anyone know what happened to WS1862 today? I have friends who were supposed to be coming down for a visit but it looks like it did an out-and-back to YVR. It seems the return WS1863 HNL-YVR has been cancelled too as there is no aircraft here in HNL.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
A little too close to the water

Westjet 737 aborted landing at SXM extremely close to ocean surface.

Last edited by YVR72; Mar 11, 2017 at 1:44 pm
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by YVR72
https://youtu.be/yNhAYKM-7LQ

https://i.reddituploads.com/1c8501ac...h=1536&w=1536&

Westjet 737 aborted landing at SXM.
yikes, they probably should have executed a go-around a bit sooner, that's very close!!
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Anyone know what happened to WS1862 today? I have friends who were supposed to be coming down for a visit but it looks like it did an out-and-back to YVR. It seems the return WS1863 HNL-YVR has been cancelled too as there is no aircraft here in HNL.
CADORS
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by tracon
Primary flight instrument failure, nothing you can do about that. No options except return or continue, whichever airport is the closest..
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by james dean
yikes, they probably should have executed a go-around a bit sooner, that's very close!!
Yikes indeed. I wonder how the approach managed to go so wrong?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Yikes indeed. I wonder how the approach managed to go so wrong?
several factors IMO, appears to be quite windy on approach, perhaps windshear with a downdraft short final and or just improperly positioned to do a visual approach, second approach looks to be proper height for distance from the runway.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:01 pm

http://globalnews.ca/news/3311396/wa...lose-to-water/

“Occasionally a landing will be aborted and a missed approach initiated if the pilots determine it’s the best option. In this case, our crew experienced rapidly changing weather conditions and as a result descended below the normal glide path on the approach to the landing.”

“The crew recognized the situation, and the regularly trained and desired outcome was obtained — a safe missed approach to a safe landing,” WestJet stated.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:51 pm

Here is the official statement on the WestJet blog: https://blog.westjet.com/westjet-sta...en-on-march-7/
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
A couple of years ago I had an opposite issue flying into ICN on KE. The descent was perfectly normal, but as the plane cleared the piano keys at the end of the runway it didn't come down and land, it just continued floating along a short distance off the ground. After a second or two of this the pilots evidently decided we had overshot too much runway, hit the gas and went around for another go. On the PA announcement they said an unexpected gust of wind put their touch-down point beyond where they wanted it.

I wonder if the pilots in SXM hit a downdraft at some point in their approach? Weather in the video is clearly lousy.

In any case, they obviously made the right call to go around and wait a few minutes for conditions to settle. Good job.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:07 pm

From my sources.......
A/C was flying a coupled RNAV approach in misty conditions.
VNAV disconnected.
Pilots lost visual reference and did a missed approach.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:02 pm

Pretty decent report on this incident...http://www.jacdec.de/2017/03/12/2017...-sint-maarten/
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Is that the same plane that had a couple of smoke in the cockpit incidents ex YYC a few weeks back?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Originally Posted by tracon
Loving the candour here (copy-pasted verbatim):

The aircraft advised the Vancouver controller of an attitude indicator failure
Is that how they detect air rage?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by sofasurfer
Loving the candour here (copy-pasted verbatim):

Is that how they detect air rage?
too funny, good on you....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.