Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to Hawaii and lap children

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Flights to Hawaii and lap children

Very frustrating senario.

Everything was fine until boarding. Staff were nice enough to block the window seat for extra room (About 20 seats open on flight). Then at the gate we were denied boarding with a car seat unless I paid the full fare (which I did). My 3 month old sons fare came to @ $1,300.

I have flowen dozens of flights with lap children and never been gouged like this before. Needless to say I am done with WJ. It was my first flight with them with the family. Funny thing is my next flight to OGG is on AS in F and it is a little bit cheaper and that includes buying a seat for my 3 month old.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 8:45 am

while I agree that two different agents telling you two different things is bad, by buying the seat last minute, you clearly wanted your son safely in a seat. By not buying one when you purchased the other tickets, you obviously thought they were going to give you a seat, for free, for your son. You got burned.

And $1300 for a seat? I just looked and the highest fare I could find was $919.38 all in on a fight Tues with 3 seats left. Maybe someone in WJ world could tell us what the Y fare is on YvrHnl
d

Last edited by dodgy; Feb 7, 2009 at 8:54 am
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
$1300 was for round trip
Old Feb 7, 2009, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Cascadia

I have flowen dozens of flights with lap children and never been gouged like this before.
But it seems you were NOT flying with a lap child but expected a seat to put the child in a car seat. A blocked seat is not a guarantee but a kind gesture, if a last minute sale would have taken place that seat would be gone.

I simply can't agree that you have a valid complaint.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
But it seems you were NOT flying with a lap child but expected a seat to put the child in a car seat. A blocked seat is not a guarantee but a kind gesture, if a last minute sale would have taken place that seat would be gone.

I simply can't agree that you have a valid complaint.
I also have to agree that you dont have a valid complaint. Under 2 is free is you wanna have your kid on your lap the whole time. If you want a seat for the car seat then you should pay the full fare.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Goldpoints Plus, Priority Club, Fly Blue
!!!

Last edited by jong866; Jan 14, 2010 at 3:42 am
Old Feb 9, 2009, 2:01 pm

Last edited by jong866; Jan 14, 2010 at 3:41 am
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Let me be more clear.

The flight had about 15 empty seats. Upon check in an extra seat was blocked off because the flight was not full (no charge). I picked the flight for its high probability of empty seats.

As we were pre boarding we were told that if we wanted to use a car seat on the free seat already assigned we would have to pay full walk up fare, which I did.

I feel ripped off because after flying dozens of flights around North America and Europe with an infant this is the first time I have been asked to pay for an empty seat.

The end result is that I will go back to flying Alaska or Hawaiian Air to Hawaii. Better service, cheaper, and very child / car seat friendly. WJ is just not competitive in the market place for my needs.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:45 pm

Apparently someone thinks everything should be free...
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:49 pm

Yup.... and an interesting definition of "lap child"...

So.. Have I got this right.... You booked the child as a LAP child... but expected to take the car seat onboard and use it.. in a seat you had NOT paid for.

They wouldn't let you do that.. and YOU feel wronged?

Wow! Just..... wow!
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:58 pm

Last edited by jong866; Jan 14, 2010 at 3:41 am
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trooper
Yup.... and an interesting definition of "lap child"...

So.. Have I got this right.... You booked the child as a LAP child... but expected to take the car seat onboard and use it.. in a seat you had NOT paid for.

They wouldn't let you do that.. and YOU feel wronged?

Wow! Just..... wow!

I love your sarcasim.

Westjet is the only airline I know that charges for a lap child to use an unused / unsold seat. Even more frustrating is that the policy seems to only be for fights to the USA. Westjet is simply not measuring up to the competition on this.

I would say "Wow" for your inability in understanding this point.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:12 pm

I love your sarcasim.

Westjet is the only airline I know that charges for a lap child to use an unused / unsold seat. Even more frustrating is that the policy seems to only be for fights to the USA. Westjet is simply not measuring up to the competition on this.

I would say "Wow" for your inability in understanding this point.
Except that no one here agrees with you, nor has sympathy for you. You should for no reason get a seat free, just because it's available.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Really? Did you really check?

From Air Canada:
  • Bookings for an infant can be made online only for flights within Canada provided the infant will be seated on the parent's lap (i.e. no extra seat is required). If you prefer to reserve a seat for your infant on one of these flights, or you wish to book a transborder or international flight, please contact Air Canada Reservations.
  • Infants for whom no seat has been purchased may travel on their parent's lap and must be held securely whenever the seatbelt sign is on.
  • Infants for whom a seat has been purchased must be properly secured in an approved child restraint device whenever the seat belt sign is on (see 'Restrictions for infants and children occupying a seat' below).
  • Infant (under age 2) | Own seat | Air Canada Reservations | Adult fare

Either the baby is on your lap or it isn't. If it isn't, it pays, like everyone else.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:41 pm

I feel ripped off because after flying dozens of flights around North America and Europe with an infant this is the first time I have been asked to pay for an empty seat.

And you used a car seat on all those flights and there was always and empty seat available. That's is an incredible fluke!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.