Wiki Posts
Search

Pets In Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2008, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Cool Pets In Cabin

I will be traveling to Mexico for the first time on Westjet. I usually flew Alaska and had no problem with my soft carrier. She flies in an Original Sherpa bag or a Sherpa backpack. Wonder if anyone has travelled with either and if they had an trouble fitting them under the seat. On Westjet's site, they say the height is 8'5" which is 3" lower than Alaska's. Thanks for any info.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:20 am

I've been on flights where people have carried cats in carriers under the seats in front of them... I didn't see how big the carrier was, I could only hear the cat... Haha
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Warning: not a popular opinion

If peanuts can be banned from flights due to severe allergy, why can't cats and dogs be banned from the cabin.

Two members of my family have severe allergies to cat dander and the presence of a cat would cause them great distress.

Animals should be banned from the cabin.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Westjet does allow pets in the cabin, with the exception of flights to Hawaii due to quarantine regulations. The small Sherpa bag is ideal for in-cabin under the seat use - it is suitable for pets up to 8 pounds. The medium will fit, however heightwise is a bit of a squeeze. If I recall, it is suitable for pets up to 16 pounds.

The Original Sherpa bag indicates that it is acceptable on Air Canada, which clearly it is not, as they have banned pets in the cabin.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Oops..knew this would get the anti-pet brigade up in arms. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer. While I sympathize with people with extreme allergies and don't fly with my dog unless absolutely necessary. I bring her to Mexico for the six months I spend there. Westjet books pets when you book, so perhaps allergic people can check that there are no pets on board on their flight, or carry their antihistamines. My dog is now five years old and has flown to Mexico since she was 4 months, and none of my seatmates has ever known she was under the seat.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by airbus320
If peanuts can be banned from flights due to severe allergy, why can't cats and dogs be banned from the cabin.

Two members of my family have severe allergies to cat dander and the presence of a cat would cause them great distress.

Animals should be banned from the cabin.
Some sympathy from me - unpressurized space would be my choice for cats (sorry cat lovers ).

Does severe = anaphylaxis or just mucho itchy, tearing eyes and running nose? I have been unable to drive after too much cat because I can't see. No direct contact necessary, just touching something the cat has been in contact with (like an upholstered chair).
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bajacondo
Oops..knew this would get the anti-pet brigade up in arms.
You are barking up the wrong tree,

This issue has nothing to do with being or not being a pet lover.

It is simply a health issue about breathing recycled air containing allergens for some pax.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Goldpoints Plus, Priority Club, Fly Blue

Last edited by jong866; Jan 14, 2010 at 3:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.