Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet sees plenty of opportunity in Canada still

Old Feb 21, 08, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ada-still.aspx

WestJet Airlines Ltd. says its it is not worried about finding a market for its bolstered fleet in the coming years, as the Calgary carrier prepares to take possession of its 73rd aircraft Friday.
Old Feb 21, 08, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
There's hope for YSB yet!
Old Feb 22, 08, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

And with 73 planes WS is still a small player, according to some. Oh well, good thing they don't listen to those voices...
Old Feb 22, 08, 7:15 pm

From the article posted above:

"...The Calgary carrier has not only identified six or seven Canadian cities it could begin new service to, but has another 10 in the Caribbean and Mexican it hopes to add in the next few years.

All the while, WestJet plans to increase its frequency on its existing network and add one or two new U.S. business destinations a year in the coming years...."

I wonder what these Canadian, US, and Caribbean/Mexican destinations might be. Any educated guesses? I'm especially interested in the Canadian prospects.

I personally hope for Cranbrook, a rising favorite with the ski/golf crowds.
Old Feb 23, 08, 1:05 pm

I'm thinking Yellowknife, Whitehorse, Kamloops, Cranbrook.
Old Feb 23, 08, 2:22 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC Tangerine
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I'm thinking Yellowknife, Whitehorse, Kamloops, Cranbrook.
I don't know about Kamloops - I think that will only happen after they extend the runway and improve the ILS systems there.

Sudbury is my guess, for one. Possibly one or two cities in QC, and Yellowknife.
Old Feb 23, 08, 11:24 pm

Some guesses.

Maybe a return to Windsor, ON? Fredericton, NB?

For others, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Cancun, Aruba, San Juan, St Maarten.
Old Feb 24, 08, 12:44 pm

Smile YQX - Gander NL

How about YQX - Gander, NL. West Jet flew into YQX a couple of years ago with great loads but transfered it service to yyt - St Johns so they could have daily service from there. Hopefully with an increased fleet they will come back!!!
Old Feb 25, 08, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Lots of once or twice a week flights between winter tourist destinations and secondary cities over the weekends to scoop up business charters otherwise get. But imagine the possibilities if WS has a small fleet of Embraers or CRAs and could actually consider Canada's dozens of tertiary cities (no derogatory implication made). There is a whole tier of cities that cannot support daily 737s but could handle at least one 75-90 seater in each direction. That was the logic of JetBlue's decision to adopt a second fleet type with less capacity than its mainstay A320s.
Old Feb 25, 08, 4:22 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC Tangerine
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Lots of once or twice a week flights between winter tourist destinations and secondary cities over the weekends to scoop up business charters otherwise get. But imagine the possibilities if WS has a small fleet of Embraers or CRAs and could actually consider Canada's dozens of tertiary cities (no derogatory implication made). There is a whole tier of cities that cannot support daily 737s but could handle at least one 75-90 seater in each direction. That was the logic of JetBlue's decision to adopt a second fleet type with less capacity than its mainstay A320s.
The other thing to consider with this is frequency... Business travel needs more than one flight a day. They want to get in in the morning, out in the evening, and heck, if there is an earlier flight, they will take it.

So even if these cities *can* handle a 737, there is a much better for the higher yielding business traveller to switch over from Jazz if there is more frequency.

This is what a smaller fleet of props (Q400s) or ERJ/CRJs would give WS.

Of course, that does add cost. I think eventually as all the low hanging fruit domestically is picked, WS will seriously have to look at options such as this, either themselves or with a partner airline.

The existing use of extra capacity to scoop sun flyers in the winter is nice, but you are not going to get rich underpricing charters....

-Brian
Old Jun 14, 08, 7:46 pm

Thumbs up I'm thinking WestJet will start Cranbrook service?

I think that WestJet will start service to the Canadian Rockies International Airport in Cranbrook. I think this because Cranbrook's Airport just had a huge expansion to the teminal building and the runway, the runway is 8000ft and can now land a boeing 767, and the terminal building is 24,000sqf, second of all Delta Air Lines started service in Cranbrook this winter and has had a very successful winter for Cranbrook useing a CRJ200 and CRJ900 on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday, and Delta is planing in about 4 years to bring in a Boeing 767-300 direct to and from Atlanta once a week, and as you may know, Delta Air Lines is the largest airline in the world. And they are starting summer service on June 20th to Sept 5th. Cranbrook's Population is over 27,000 now, and the area around Cranbrook has a population over 75,000. Maybe if Westjet got one or to flights a week to Toronto, that would be just perfect! I am pretty sure that if Comox, Kamloops, and Yellowknife(Yellowknife for sure!), can sustain WestJet, than so can Cranbrook. I think that Cranbrook would also do very well with the ski/golf seasons and vacations for people from all around North America because its starting to really get out there with Delta, and just to add, Cranbrook has been on the home page of Delta's website quite a few times. About 40,000 to 50,000 people used to drive over 4 hours to Calgary or Spokane for flights that don't connect through Calgary or Vancouver, but now people are chosing to use the better way by just flying out of Cranbrook on Delta, so if Westjet started to Cranbrook, the same would probably happen, and alot of people are begging for WestJet to fly to Cranbrook as you may see ahaha.

Last edited by kidder15; Mar 28, 09 at 5:15 pm Reason: I didn't really know what I was saying at first haha
Old Jun 14, 08, 8:38 pm

It will be interesting to see where WS expands to. Working for a northern carrier, WS would not be strategic to start service to Yellowknife. Their is the two northern carriers First Air, and Canadian North, and now Air Canada, their is just not enough demand to go to Yellowknife, and add another airline with a 737, the airport in Yellowknife would not be able to accomodate another airline, based on size of the airport and ramp space. Their is only one baggage carousel in the whole terminal that shares with 3 carriers.

Whitehorse I can see a definite possibility, so many leisure travellers would go up to whitehorse, because they say its the "jewel of the north", and it is close to Alaska!

It will be very interesting to see what happens in the upcoming months
Old Jun 15, 08, 8:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Milage Plan; Hhonors;
I would really like to see YKF-YUL. First choice would be AC, but if WS actually gets it's act together and joins SkyTeam (preferred)... or One World... and/or Alaska's Proprietory Program... and code shares through YUL... my first choice in Carrier will change!
Old Jun 15, 08, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
What does on expect WS to say? That they've over ordered a/c and don't have anywhere profitable to send them? Will be interested to see what "opportunities" they actually go for.
Old Jun 15, 08, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kidder15 View Post
I think that WestJet will start service to the Canadian Rockies International Airport in Cranbrook. I think this because Cranbrook's Airport just had a huge expansion to the teminal building and the runway, the runway is 8000ft and can now land a boeing 767, and the terminal building is 24,000sqf, the area is one of the best to vacation in Canada, second of all Delta Airlines is starting Service on December 17, 2008. So that is why I belive that Westjet will start to Cranbrook!
Just because the city plunged a whole bunch of taxpayer money into their airport does not mean airlines will come. From the looks of things this airport is pretty quiet with the only service being to YVR and YYC.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: