Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet sees plenty of opportunity in Canada still

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet sees plenty of opportunity in Canada still

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by bug_me_not
Just because the city plunged a whole bunch of taxpayer money into their airport does not mean airlines will come. From the looks of things this airport is pretty quiet with the only service being to YVR and YYC.
There are also flights to SLC (Salt Lake City) and no, Cranbrook is one of the 4 international airports in BC, I could see it from the area being a rising favorite with the ski/golf crowds from around the world. There are also over 111,000 passengers that go through it every year, and it is rising more now because Cranbrook is on Delta Airlines home page alot now. Don't forget that Cranbrook used to have about 4 daily 737 flights back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. But if WestJet dosn't come in soon Delta might take all the passengers away, because Delta is planning to bring in a 767 in about 3 or 4 years once a week direct to Atlanta when Cranbrook is more recognized around the globe and the population is higher around the area and Cranbrook. When the Fly YXC allaince group went and talked to United Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and Alaska Horizion Airlines, they all said they were very interested in the Kootenay's and Cranbrook. But Delta said that they were really wanting to fly to Cranbrook. And also when they went and talked to WestJet, they said that they would watch the load factor on Delta, and the loads for Delta are looking really good so far.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by kidder15
There are also flights to SLC (Salt Lake City) and no, Cranbrook is one of the 4 international airports in BC, I could see it from the area being a rising favorite with the ski/golf crowds from around the world. There are also over 111,000 passengers that go through it every year, and it is rising more now because Cranbrook is on Delta Airlines home page alot now. Don't forget that Cranbrook used to have about 4 daily 737 flights back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. But if WestJet dosn't come in soon Delta might take all the passengers away, because Delta is planning to bring in a 767 in about 3 or 4 years once a week direct to Atlanta when Cranbrook is more recognized around the globe and the population is higher around the area and Cranbrook. When the Fly YXC allaince group went and talked to United Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and Alaska Horizion Airlines, they all said they were very interested in the Kootenay's and Cranbrook. But Delta said that they were really wanting to fly to Cranbrook. And also when they went and talked to WestJet, they said that they would watch the load factor on Delta, and the loads for Delta are looking really good so far.
Why would Delta add Cranbrook to Atlanta when neither Calgary or Edmonton have this yet??
Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:39 am

Delta even tried Calgary-Atlanta a few summers ago as summer seasonal service and the route never returned.

I don't see how Delta would plan to bring a 767 into Cranbrook in 3 to 4 years as Delta doesn't use 767s to any of their Canadian destinations and I'm sure Delta has lot more traffic through YYZ or YVR then Cranbrook will have even with the ski industry.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:53 am

Hook, line and sinker......

Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:51 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by HangTen
Hook, line and sinker......

Hmmm, the rumour I heard was that DL would use A330's that came over from NW
Old Apr 1, 2009, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Hmmm, the rumour I heard was that DL would use A330's that came over from NW
It;s going to be a stopover from Narita LOL.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC, Delta Privilege Gold, Air Miles Gold
Sorry, but reading that B767 on Delta from Atlanta to Cranbrook made me laugh a bit. Its very very wishful thinking/dreaming. Its great that DL has started seasonal CRJ service but I think Cranbrook has a better chance of Horizon/Alaska doing a DH4 run to SEA. And with the recent failure of Prince George for QX, I would think they are a little weary of entering new Canadian markets for a bit.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by bug_me_not
Just because the city plunged a whole bunch of taxpayer money into their airport does not mean airlines will come. From the looks of things this airport is pretty quiet with the only service being to YVR and YYC.
And SLC (Salt Lake City), and I bet that Cranbrook is in the top 2 or 3 next places in Canada for WestJet. The airport is actually pretty busy. There are also charters from England, and the States that come to Cranbrook on 737`s pretty often.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
Why would Delta add Cranbrook to Atlanta when neither Calgary or Edmonton have this yet??
It`s what Delta was thinking about. Alot of people are using the service to Cranbrook from around the world now. I have something to say, I have heard people talking about there flight to Cranbrook on Delta while I have been on the chairlift in Kimberley, they have said they have been from Asia, Europe, and places like that, trust me Delta has a plan for this, they market Cranbrook alot and the word is getting out, why don`t you guys all come out here and do some stuff and maybe you will see why Delta and people around here are thinking about this. Also it`s not a flight every day, its one flight a week, I am pretty sure that it will work if they try in 3 or 4 years.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by superdawg
Delta even tried Calgary-Atlanta a few summers ago as summer seasonal service and the route never returned.

I don't see how Delta would plan to bring a 767 into Cranbrook in 3 to 4 years as Delta doesn't use 767s to any of their Canadian destinations and I'm sure Delta has lot more traffic through YYZ or YVR then Cranbrook will have even with the ski industry.
Well no duh, Toronto and Vancouver are huge, they are the 1st and 3rd biggest cities in Canada. Every flight in February and March this year had every flight booked solid with 3 flights a week, most of the passengers were from California, and come on people this is the first year that have have been flying to Cranbrook and just think about what it could be like in 3 or 4 years! I am also pretty sure that Alaska Horizon will begin, also I heard that Denver was a possible place for a new route with Cranbrook lately too. There is this place called Gunninson, Colorado which has a population of about 5,000 people, Cranbrook`s is what about 30,000, anyways, they have flights to SLC, and Atlanta with 767`s, and airbuses, and they work. Have you heard of kalispell Montana, well they have alot of airlines with alot of flights, and there population is only half the size of the East Kootenays. Also about 50,000 people from the East Kootenays alone drive to Spokane or Calgary for flights out of Canada and across Canada each year. The Kootenays population is 80,000 people, and I am getting tired of saying that this area has so much tourism from skiing, golfing, hiking, biking, fishing, going to lakes. Shadow Mountain, built in Cranbrook just lately is a PGA tour quilified, people are flocking to this area from around the world now, like this area just got so much busier since the annoucment of Delta coming to Cranbrook happened. So everyone quit saying that Cranbrook can`t take these kind of aircraft, just wait and see how is plays out if it happens!!!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
There is this place called Gunninson, Colorado which has a population of about 5,000 people, Cranbrook`s is what about 30,000, anyways, they have flights to SLC, and Atlanta with 767`s, and airbuses, and they work.
Please show some proof. Next Feb there is ONE CR7 daily to SLC (66 seats) and 3 daily Dash 8 flights to DEN (37 seats). Where are these 767s and Airbus flights? Cranbrook is NOT on most people's radar screen as a top destination resort area and until that changes the airlines will not service it like they do some other resort areas. Westjet will I am sure have troubles with its Kamloops service as it is once per day and only heading east.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: several
So everyone quit saying that Cranbrook can`t take these kind of aircraft, just wait and see how is plays out if it happens!!!
it's been two years now, where are the DL 767's?!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.