FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   Wal-Mart picks WestJet (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/673746-wal-mart-picks-westjet.html)

tcook052 Mar 21, 2007 9:59 am

Wal-Mart picks WestJet

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...f8d41e&k=57801

One up for Air Canada's rival WestJet. The low-cost airline said today it will be Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s preferred Canadian carrier. That means WestJet provides transportation services to all the giant retailer's business travellers in Canada and crossborder.

LeSabre74 Mar 22, 2007 12:13 pm

So many possible jokes, so little time....

autobrakes Mar 24, 2007 11:05 am

Originally Posted by LeSabre74 (Post 7450581)
So many possible jokes, so little time....

I doubt they are laughing at Air Canada HQ.

Jalinth Mar 25, 2007 10:27 am

This connection makes sense. Walmart is known for being "thrifty" even for travel by its top executives. Does anyone know what Walmart flies in the US? Southwest would be a logical choice.

oopsz Mar 26, 2007 5:32 pm

AA has the walmart account and flies a series of nonstops from XNA as part of their corporate contract.

emcampbe Mar 26, 2007 7:21 pm

I could see this partnership as a match, but would be unclear if there would be any value to the "crossborder" portion. Seems to me that Walmart is not the kind of brand that would send its employees to a corporate retreat in Hawaii, and it is doubtful that XNA is Westjet's next transborder destination, considering Westjet only serves a handful of US destinations at the moment.

LeSabre74 Mar 27, 2007 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by autobrakes (Post 7462102)
I doubt they are laughing at Air Canada HQ.

Given Wal-marts "thriftiness" they probably are. The two "W's" deserve each other.

autobrakes Mar 27, 2007 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by LeSabre74 (Post 7480345)
Given Wal-marts "thriftiness" they probably are. The two "W's" deserve each other.

Indeed, WJ does deserve Walmarts business.

I'm sure that AC, with it's LCC pricing and legacy cost stucture, are thrilled to see corporate customers abandoning them.

I expect Wamart won't be the last to make the move.

Hypnotize Mar 27, 2007 9:34 pm

AC is heavily pushing its flight pass products onto its corporate customers.. some, as evidenced by our growing corporate accounts, don't want to dance.

Sebring Mar 28, 2007 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Hypnotize (Post 7482237)
AC is heavily pushing its flight pass products onto its corporate customers.. some, as evidenced by our growing corporate accounts, don't want to dance.

Here's an interesting background piece which shows the changing nature of corporate buying and how the Walmart decision plays into it. Walmart wasn't your average large corporate account. They have a philosophy about how travel should be booked and distributed that favors the status quo, but isn't necessarily shared by others. For Walmart, the end fare is the sole determining factor, while for some others, the type of product and the transaction fees are more important because they "buy up". It seems as if Walmart is the perfect customer for Westjet while others would find AC - with the ability to buy in bulk with minimal transaction fee cost - to be superior.

http://www.travelweekly.com/articles...rticleid=55556

WR Cage Mar 28, 2007 5:55 pm

:confused: What forum is this?????

Is this Sebring vs Hypnotize or Dagger vs CanadaEh !!! :p

LeSabre74 Mar 29, 2007 12:24 am

Originally Posted by YEG Guy (Post 7487714)
:confused: What forum is this?????

Is this Sebring vs Hypnotize or Dagger vs CanadaEh !!! :p

No, its the forum for Westjet employees trying to deny they're the trailer park crowd's carrier of choice.

billybob123 Mar 29, 2007 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by LeSabre74 (Post 7489526)
No, its the forum for Westjet employees trying to deny they're the trailer park crowd's carrier of choice.

A truly helpful contribution to the discussion at hand....

I see no problem with both airlines in Canada earning corporate business. It helps to keep them both healthy and the rest of us with choice and competition. I fail to understand why people wish ill to either airline?

imverge Mar 29, 2007 9:59 pm

Not too shabby...Good for WS ^

momentum Apr 3, 2007 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Hypnotize (Post 7482237)

That's BS...AC is pushing passes but not forcing the issue with corp clients who get discounts in various ways. Westjet is simply lowering their prices even further to get some of this business because they have more planes to fill. Lets see the results this year b/f crowing.