Gate Gourmet at YYZ on strike

Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Gate Gourmet at YYZ on strike

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...-labour-disrup

Due to labour action taken by Gate Gourmet in Toronto, WestJet flights operating on Boeing 737 aircraft departing or arriving at Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) as of Tuesday, April 16, may experience an inconsistent food or beverage offering.

To limit disruption, WestJet proactively prepared contingency plans to ensure critical supplies are available onboard and wherever possible will continue to double-cater flights from alternative destinations with stopovers in Toronto.

Guests who are eligible to receive an inflight meal including those in the Premium cabin and all guests travelling on transatlantic flights will receive either an alternative option or a food and beverage voucher for use in the terminal, pre-departure. In addition, WestJet is advising guests travelling to or from Toronto to plan ahead and bring an extra snack and/or beverage for their journey.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:45 pm

Lovely. Flying YYZ-YYC tomorrow in premium. I guess I will have to fork out more money to buy extra snacks and beverages. Looked up my flight, looks like the plane will be sitting overnight, so won't be double-catered from the previous airport.

Will report back on what happens tomorrow.
meepmix and V1213 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 2:32 pm

Programs: Free Agent
on board microwave for my BYOSnacks please!
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petah
Lovely. Flying YYZ-YYC tomorrow in premium. I guess I will have to fork out more money to buy extra snacks and beverages. Looked up my flight, looks like the plane will be sitting overnight, so won't be double-catered from the previous airport.

Will report back on what happens tomorrow.
Will be interested to hear about what they can provide! I wonder if other catering companies can fill the gap in some limited cases, or if WJ somehow can do something on their own.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by canolakid
on board microwave for my BYOSnacks please!
Do airlines have microwaves? Ive never seen nor heard of one! I know some airlines have ovens. Not sure if they could heat up individual snacks even if they did!
Old Apr 16, 2024, 8:25 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Do airlines have microwaves? Ive never seen nor heard of one! I know some airlines have ovens. Not sure if they could heat up individual snacks even if they did!
At WS ovens only; and not permitted to heat up non catered food for guests.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by TripleQ
Will be interested to hear about what they can provide! I wonder if other catering companies can fill the gap in some limited cases, or if WJ somehow can do something on their own.
Just received a $30 meal voucher. Its probably not enough for a nice meal at YYZ. Also, my flight is at 11am. Not sure how many restaurants are even open before that at 10am. Most likely will try and grab some take out food instead.

edit: transferred full $30 to my Starbucks card for later use. Might just make a peanut butter sandwich and bring some snack from home in case there is no food onboard.

Ill update once I am onboard and see what catering is been offered. My guess is food will be non existent onboard and limited snacks.

Last edited by petah; Apr 17, 2024 at 4:24 am
Old Apr 17, 2024, 6:40 am

Programs: Free Agent
Just received a $30 meal voucher. Its probably not enough for a nice meal at YYZ. Also, my flight is at 11am. Not sure how many restaurants are even open before that at 10am. Most likely will try and grab some take out food instead.

edit: transferred full $30 to my Starbucks card for later use. Might just make a peanut butter sandwich and bring some snack from home in case there is no food onboard.

Ill update once I am onboard and see what catering is been offered. My guess is food will be non existent onboard and limited snacks.
the voucher transfer to your own meal card is a solid approach! and no expiration issues...
tecate55 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by canolakid
the voucher transfer to your own meal card is a solid approach! and no expiration issues...
I spend almost the amount on food/Starbucks T the airport.

No hot meal in Premium. Snacks were limited. Service was good, I guess the FAs dont have to do as much, no food to serve. Drinks were plenty though so thats a good thing.

Hopefully things can get resolved and get back on track.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
A $30 meal voucher would be a more preferable option than anything offered by Gateway Gourmet.
petah and canolakid like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Heyden
A $30 meal voucher would be a more preferable option than anything offered by Gateway Gourmet.
I dont disagree. If my flight was later I would have bought some sushi to bring onboard.

Subway breakfast sub tasted pretty good at 35,000ft. Would have that again thats for sure.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Sounds like the strike is over, employees voted in favour of a new deal. Probably a few days before things go back to normal.
Old May 1, 2024, 1:45 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by TripleQ
Sounds like the strike is over, employees voted in favour of a new deal. Probably a few days before things go back to normal.
We have been informed internally that as of 02MAY should be regular catering ops ex-YYZ.
TripleQ and cedric like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.