Extended Comfort

Old Apr 19, 2024, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Interesting.

When the interior reconfig is completed - i.e. the extreme densifying of rows 8 through ?? - will they also be including some visual cues to make the EC section stand out as a truly separate section?? Other airlines use different colours and/or logos on the headrests on the seats, different labeling on the row markers on the overhead bins, etc.

This will be confusing for passengers when people seated in row 7 walk forward to use the lav -- and people seated in row 8 see that, but arent' allowed and are then told to go to the back. Most passengers, once they board, simply don't notice the difference between Y rows and Y+ rows. Even if they were offered something different at time of booking and/or check-in, I think most pax - once onboard - will just think Y is Y.

Adding to the confusion: when the aisle is blocked due to service in Y, passengers in front of the cart are allowed to go to the forward lav. So ... crew need to explain which rows can go forward all the time, which rows have to use the rear lavs only, unless there's a cart, in which case rows in front of the cart can use the forward lav, but people from behind row 3 have to line up for the forward lav starting at row 4. Ya, seems simple enough.
I believe they will be incorporating headrest branding for this section . Before Premium cabin, Westjet launched the "Plus" and they had headrest labelling on them.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:08 pm

American, meanwhile, drives me nuts with their standard "thou must comply, resistance is futile" on-board announcements that they've adopted. They're really quite an awful airline -- although I'm sometimes stuck flying them due to destinations or schedule. They consistently claim in their announcements that Economy passengers are forbidden from approaching the lavatory in the front of the aircraft due to mandatory TSA security rules. Which is, well, a blatant lie.
Was this on an international flight? There are US regulations which require passengers to use the lav only in their ticketed class of service on international flights. That's not limited to American.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Have fun on routes like LIR-YYC or KEF-YYC (both over 7 hours, both on 737s) with only the pre-existing rear lavs in what will become a super-dense cabin with even more people than today. Extended Comfort will definitely have some value on those super-long 737 routes - just for the ability to go to the bathroom. And good luck to the cabin crew enforcing the EC vs regular Y bathroom rules on those routes -- where everybody's going to have to go sometime during the flight.
It seems these days that 1/3 of everybody have to go on a 70 minute flight from YYJ to YYC. Even the number of people who board, and then immediately have to swim upsteam to/from the lav is ridiculous. What is the big appeal about peeing in a coffin?

A 7 hour flight is different, and I know some people have health issues, but the number who have to go in an hour flight seems excessive.

Yes, I need a different hobby, or WS needs to reinstall seat back entertainment.
Old May 8, 2024, 9:14 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I was upgraded while boarding tonight from 14D (exit row aisle seat) to 4E (a middle seat in Economy but in Extended Comfort).

The gate agent, at boarding, excitedly told me we have a new seat for you! Then, she said youre now in 4E. And she seemed shocked when I refused and asked to be downgraded back to my original seat.

I need to make this perfectly clear to WestJet HQ:

An upgrade from an Exit row aisle to a middle seat is NOT AN UPGRADE. Never. Absolutely not. I do not, will not, sit in a middle seat unless I absolutely need to be somewhere and I have no option.

I had an exit row seat. But its pretty questionable if a move from any aisle seat in any row to an EC middle seat could ever possibly be considered an upgrade. (At least not until WS condenses their back-of-cabin Y seats.) But definitely NOT a move from an exit row seat ever.

If I dont get a move up to Premium, fine. Its nice when it happens. Its awesome, because its a nice treat and actually an upgrade.

But otherwise - if my chosen seat is a great seat with tons of legroom - DO NOT TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME. Period.

Grrrrr.

Westjet: Fix this.

Edited to add:
A colleague asked me why I didnt just de-select the upgrade me even if its to a horrible middle seat box thats shown during check-in.

Two reasons:
1. First segment was operated by Delta, therefore check-in was with DL, not WS. No way to control your WS upgrade preferences when checking in with DL.
2. Then, when connecting in YVR, I changed to an earlier flight at the check-in counter. The (wonderful) WestJet check-in agent gave me my options for seating, and I chose aisle/exit row. For that segment, therefore, my check-in was (and had to be) at the counter. Not online or via the app or even a kiosk. Also no way to opt out of upgrade to a middle seat during an in-person check in (or flight change) with a CI agent.
Sopwith and jimsthe1 like this.

Last edited by FlyerJ; May 9, 2024 at 7:16 pm
Old May 11, 2024, 10:51 am

I booked a preferred seat prior to the extended comfort switch, which was about half the price of the current price. I'm trying to move my seat to be closer to my family, but they want to charge me the difference between what I paid and the new seat (approx $40USD). I tried to explain Im already in the Extended Comfort cabin and there shouldn't be an upcharge, but they cant figure out how to process without a fee. Any suggestions?
Old May 11, 2024, 3:33 pm

Double check the seat maps to see if you really are in EC.

Not all Preferred became Extended Comfort especially on the -700.
Old May 13, 2024, 10:22 am

Double check the seat maps to see if you really are in EC.

Not all “Preferred” became “Extended Comfort” — especially on the -700.

I am... Im on a max8
Old May 27, 2024, 1:08 pm

Programs: WestJet Rewards, Aeroplan
I flew in Extended Comfort on the weekend.

Seats are marked by a teal antimacassar.

Leg room was enormous. Zone 2 on the BP printed no problem. They downgraded inflight service due to turbulence so I didn't get my free beer. (Though I could see between the seats that Premium still got full drink service on trays.) Since the row in front of me was premium, I had an table in the arm rest and my magazine pocket was attached to the wall on my left.

On the way there I flew in a non-EC seat. I've flown Ryanair and Vueling in the past -- the WestJet seat was nowhere near as cramped as those! (NB I am short though at 5'6" -- but still not as cramped as European ULCCs)

Legroom in non-extended comfort. Did NOT feel different from old WestJet config.
Fisch and V1213 like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by JetFuelBlood

Legroom in non-extended comfort. Did NOT feel different from old WestJet config.
Id be surprised if many aircraft have been configured with the eaxtra row of seats yet, the rebranding of the existing seats behind Premium as Extra Comfort is likely with the old seat config on most aircraft at the moment.
Fisch and V1213 like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 11:59 pm

I've flown in what is now known as Extended Comfort on 4 segments.

Exact same seats, exact same configuration, exact same legroom as there has always been in the first few rows in the cabin (on an 800 and MAX8) and the first two rows on a 700. The only noticeable change was that on the 800 and the MAX were the little headrest covers being a different colour. (Those rows always had some extra seat pitch.)

Decent legroom for sure, but I'm 6'4" ... so not quite as generous for me. But still good.
Old May 29, 2024, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by JetFuelBlood

They downgraded inflight service due to turbulence so I didn't get my free beer. (Though I could see between the seats that Premium still got full drink service on trays.) .
If there was turbulence on take off or during the flight or anticipated in descent, the crew likely didnt want to bring the carts out if it was a shorter flight and full cabin. Much easier to serve 3 rows by hand versus 27 rows via a cart, when turbulence plays a part in the flight.
Old May 29, 2024, 12:20 pm

Programs: WestJet Rewards, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by YYCguy
If there was turbulence on take off or during the flight or anticipated in descent, the crew likely didnt want to bring the carts out if it was a shorter flight and full cabin. Much easier to serve 3 rows by hand versus 27 rows via a cart, when turbulence plays a part in the flight.
Indeed. I understood.

I just planned on drinking on the flight as I finished a busy weekend.
Fisch and YYCguy like this.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 6:00 am

Sorry, I'm newbie and from Australia. I booked a flex ticket before the EC announcement. That Flex ticket means that I was able to choose the seat I like. However, I was surprised that I still have to pay more for the EC seat. Is it possible to call Westjet for the free upgrade?
Old Jun 14, 2024, 9:08 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by Bluesky
Sorry, I'm newbie and from Australia. I booked a flex ticket before the EC announcement. That Flex ticket means that I was able to choose the seat I like. However, I was surprised that I still have to pay more for the EC seat. Is it possible to call Westjet for the free upgrade?
No - EconoFlex doesn't include EC and, IIRC, didn't include Preferred Seats before that. It's only standard seats that are free with EconoFlex.
Bluesky likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.