Extended Comfort

Old Apr 10, 2024, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC 35k
The people who are buying Basic literally want the cheapest possible option. They aren't paying $1 more for anything.
canolakid likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
The people who are buying Basic literally want the cheapest possible option. They aren't paying $1 more for anything.
But then proceed to complain about their seat location and the lack of bin space and lack of leg room and the list goes on!
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:52 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by aerobod
That is for Basic fares with the inherent limitations of that fare, though. The Extended Comfort seat selection cost is fare bundle dependent, so is going to be a lot more for Basic than for the Econo or EconoFlex fare. Probably cheaper to buy an Econo fare then upgrade to Extended Comfort than to buy Basic then upgrade.

I cant see that they would provide any incentive price wise to purchase Basic then upgrade to Extended Comfort than upgrading from other fare classes, otherwise no one would tend to buy the other fare classes initially, if they did.
A quick search for YHZ-LGW flights on a day with $220 Basic fares shows:
  • Basic $220 + $221 Extended Comfort
  • Econo $462 + $198 Extended Comfort
  • EconoFlex $552 + $196 Extended Comfort
  • Premium $926
I note that in May Basic base fares are higher, but Econo, EconoFlex and Premium base fares are lower ($340, $430, $726). EC prices are consistent regardless of base fare variations. YMMV.
For the record, exit rows were consistently $10 less than the EC price.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SE
For the extended comfort seats on the 789, did they actually change the seat pitch? The bulkheads were preferred seats before, but did rows 10-14 and 15-16 DEF actually change? Their seatmap on the WS website still shows 31" pitch in regular economy, same number of overall seats, but better pitch in the extended comfort rows. It isn't quite adding up. Any insight on what they actually did with the 789's?
Old Apr 13, 2024, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin
For the extended comfort seats on the 789, did they actually change the seat pitch? The bulkheads were preferred seats before, but did rows 10-14 and 15-16 DEF actually change? Their seatmap on the WS website still shows 31" pitch in regular economy, same number of overall seats, but better pitch in the extended comfort rows. It isn't quite adding up. Any insight on what they actually did with the 789's?
Nope, didnt do anything to them. They are just capitalizing on the fact that they are already 31 versus less then that in the rest of the cabin. Somebodys bright idea to nickel and dime people without having to spend any money or effort to make a buck.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 4:21 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Nope, didnt do anything to them. They are just capitalizing on the fact that they are already 31 versus less than that in the rest of the cabin. Somebodys bright idea to nickel and dime people without having to spend any money or effort to make a buck.
pretty sure EC are 32-33
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by Fisch
pretty sure EC are 32-33
I concur. There is nothing less than 31" inches in the Economy class.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 5:23 pm

pretty sure EC are 32-33
Oops! My bad! I stand corrected. I meant that to say that no reconfiguration occurred and that they are selling EC with the existing seat pitch.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 5:28 pm

On the Westjet fleet webpage, they are claiming 35" pitch for the 789 Extended Comfort seats, rows 10 to 14 (row 9 faces the bulkhead).
Old Apr 13, 2024, 5:33 pm
Original Member

The 787 EC rows have massive leg room; so I believe it. I was thinking 737 when I referenced 32-33.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC 35k
They haven't changed the seat pitch yet. But the new 737 configuration reduces the back from 31" to 28.5". So once they start that process, yeah, some will be that bad.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by YYCguy
Oops! My bad! I stand corrected. I meant that to say that no reconfiguration occurred and that they are selling EC with the existing seat pitch.
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
On the Westjet fleet webpage, they are claiming 35" pitch for the 789 Extended Comfort seats, rows 10 to 14 (row 9 faces the bulkhead).
The 787 EC rows have massive leg room; so I believe it. I was thinking 737 when I referenced 32-33.
Yes, I was seeing the 35" pitch referenced on the seatmap on WS website, which was why I was asking the original question. If they didn't change anything as many say, had those rows always been 35"? If they had changed them to add significant pitch in the extended comfort section, did that come at the expense of the normal economy seat pitch?
Old Apr 14, 2024, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
They haven't changed the seat pitch yet. But the new 737 configuration reduces the back from 31" to 28.5". So once they start that process, yeah, some will be that bad.
Has there been any media attention to this new 28.5" pitch? I must be a record low for a Canadian airline, no? The annoying thing is it gives Air Canada permission to now do the exact same. At 6'1, I shudder to think my upcoming 5hr flight from Halifax to London will have 28.5" pitch. Ouch.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 6:21 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Air Canada Rouge is 29.

It is appallingly bad, uncomfortable, and - in my humble opinion - jeopardizes passenger safety. (Transport Canada and other regulatory bodies around the world would, clearly, disagree with that.). Its claustrophobic for everyone. Its uncomfortable for anyone over 510. Its dangerous, IMO, for anyone 64 or taller.

I moved my business from Air Canada to WestJet a decade or so ago entirely due to the introduction of Rouge and many of my flights getting Rouged. They deemed a few of my frequent cross-border work destinations ex-YYC as leisure routes, effectively cutting the seat pitch on routes I was flying from a quite comfortable Air Canada standard to the kneecap-crushing 29.

Im tall. I flew Rouge twice. It was awful.

And in the decade since, because of this, Ive gone from an AC frequent flier to barely ever stepping foot on any AC plane.

Mind you, since then AC pulled Rouge out of YYC, and then even pulled most mainline AC out of YYC too. I fired them as my airline when Calgary was still an AC hub. Because of that 29 pitch on just some of their routes here.

Now, WestJets main product is going to become 28.5.

Last edited by FlyerJ; Apr 14, 2024 at 6:31 pm
Old Apr 14, 2024, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
I booked WS flights on DL miles for this summer, and Delta Diamond and Platinum members always could select free preferred seats on Westjet for them and their companion. I just checked, and the preferred seat selection (now Extended Comfort) has stuck fortunately. I believe that new WS reservations through Delta keep the same rules for Delta Platinum and Diamond members. If the Westjet elite rules are too restrictive for access to Extended Comfort seats, one can always consider trying to reach Delta Platinum status instead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.