WS 1876 MAX 8 YVR-OGG returns to YVR

Old Feb 11, 2024, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
WS 1876 MAX 8 YVR-OGG returns to YVR

WS 1876 737 MAX 8 back on the ground at Vancouver Airport after a turn back from a flight to OGG. Significant time to burn off fuel off Vancouver Island.

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/WJA1876
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Finkface
WS 1876 737 MAX 8 back on the ground at Vancouver Airport after a turn back from a flight to OGG. Significant time to burn off fuel off Vancouver Island.

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/WJA1876
This link is more useful: https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...840Z/CYVR/PHOG

About 56 minutes of circling.

Nothing specific in EF, just "UNSKED MNTC SAFETY ENROUTE".
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
This link is more useful: https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...840Z/CYVR/PHOG

About 56 minutes of circling.

Nothing specific in EF, just "UNSKED MNTC SAFETY ENROUTE".
That seems to go to the same place as the link I posted. What am I missing?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:50 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I believe the second link allows you to "play" the flight path in the map graphic and see the altitude/airspeed and the ~1 hour of circling of the flight at the end of the return.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 11:20 am

Do we know the reason for returning to YVR?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 1:13 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
We were supposed to be on the cancelled return flight. The first we heard about it was from the car rental agent. (I put the wrong cell# in when I checked in so didnt get the text.) When I looked they had rebooked us on the same flight two days later, middle seats row 30. I checked AC and nothing available so I scrambled to book a hotel that wasnt US$2000 a night and found one. Then later they re-rebooked us on the same day redeye on DL via SEA so I didnt need the hotel. They whacked me for the first night when I tried to cancel so we used the room for a few hours.

Obviously a problem cropped up with the aircraft en route, theyre calling it Unscheduled Maintenance. Does that qualify for any form of compensation? I guess the trip interruption insurance will cover the hotel. Will they at least refund the seat and extra bag fees?

BTW, I havent flown with DL much. It was superior to WS. A321NEO. Not even full, got an empty seat between us. Got upgraded on the SEA-YVR hop. 👍
Fisch and Speedbird84 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:42 am

Maddening: B.C. couple takes aim at WestJet over cancelled flight

​​​​​​​A Kelowna, B.C., couple and an air passenger rights advocate are taking aim at WestJet for a cancelled flight from Hawaii on Sunday, with limited rebooking and reimbursement options offered by the major Canadian airline.
https://globalnews.ca/news/10289645/...-maui-westjet/
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:47 am

"reimbursement for his hotel accommodations, for up to $200 CAD per night"

This is the airbnb link for what $200 will get you in Maui a month from now.
Campsites and shared rooms.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Finkface
That seems to go to the same place as the link I posted. What am I missing?
Originally Posted by JY1024
I believe the second link allows you to "play" the flight path in the map graphic and see the altitude/airspeed and the ~1 hour of circling of the flight at the end of the return.
The link I posted is a permanent link to that specific flight. The first link was the "live" link for WS1876, which will always go to the nearest flight of WS1876, not the incident flight. By the time I visited the thread, it was already going to the following day's WS1876 (which operated normally). For the next few days, it's possible to scroll down the page and find the subject flight in the list of other recent WS1876s, but within a few more days, that option will disappear to anyone without a premium FlightAware subscription.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:32 am

I put in my claim for compensation. Im expecting the standard safety/beyond our control/never heard of you/it happened in another universe response. But well see. In 30 days 🙄. Stay tuned.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Do we know the reason for returning to YVR?
Can anyone look this up?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:09 pm

The day it occurred, I was told instrument issue, non emergency.
I would have to dig a bit deeper to see if anything else came of it.
Sopwith and Adam Smith like this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith
I put in my claim for compensation. I’m expecting the standard “safety/beyond our control/never heard of you/it happened in another universe” response. But we’ll see. In 30 days 🙄. Stay tuned.
Update: So here we are, two months later. The initial request for compensation returned the expected “pound sand” response. So then I put in a separate claim for reimbursement of expenses. About three weeks later after no response I put it in again. Now after about another two or three weeks I did in fact receive C$200 against my claim for US$387 for the hotel I didn’t need after their clusterfumble.

The system is designed to obfuscate and frustrate so you’ll eventually give up and go away. 🤬

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.