Why buy Westjet dollars?

Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: YYC
Programs: Aeroplan unknown
Posts: 52
Why buy Westjet dollars?

I am new to the Westjet Dollars reward program. I have flown them before, but just signed up for their rewards program and just got a shiny New WE WJ MC (I hope I got these abbreviations right).

Just wondering why anyone would buy these at $2 each (Or $1.40 with current deal) as they are only redeemable at $1 against Westjet products.
Please excuse Me if this has been answered before.
JohnYYC is offline  
Old Sep 28, 2023, 5:47 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,077
Never worth buying outright as far I'm aware, but WestJet has special "Member Exclusive" fares that require a certain amount of WestJet Dollars to book - sometimes these fares can provide significant savings, so one might need to purchase some to top up to that required amount. I was recently able to help a family member use this to save 10% of the total price on a business class fare (they had a ton in their account purely from MC spending).
YYCCL3 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 2023, 9:01 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: YVR
Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Posts: 663
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Never worth buying outright as far I'm aware, but WestJet has special "Member Exclusive" fares that require a certain amount of WestJet Dollars to book - sometimes these fares can provide significant savings, so one might need to purchase some to top up to that required amount. I was recently able to help a family member use this to save 10% of the total price on a business class fare (they had a ton in their account purely from MC spending).
It's true, those Member Exclusive fares can be significantly cheaper. It can be frustrating to see when booking and you don't have enough WS Monopoly money in your account to access them.
canolakid likes this.
tjk1976 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 2023, 11:12 am
  #4  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Posts: 1,945
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Never worth buying outright as far I'm aware, but WestJet has special "Member Exclusive" fares that require a certain amount of WestJet Dollars to book - sometimes these fares can provide significant savings, so one might need to purchase some to top up to that required amount. I was recently able to help a family member use this to save 10% of the total price on a business class fare (they had a ton in their account purely from MC spending).
A couple of problems with this. Saving 10% booking "Member Exclusive" - but paying 200% or with the sale 140% - would make it more expensive.

Problem #2 - You don't earn on the "Member Exclusive" fares, so as a Platinum that is 8% loss.

Problem #3 - "Member Exclusive" in Economy are more like a BASIC fare in that many of the Elite benefits generally don't apply. It boggles my mind that they even advertise WJ "Member Exclusive" fare is %% cheaper then an economy fare Member Exclusive fares should be compared to a Westjet BASIC fare.

Every time I get an email of Westjet dollars on sale - my blood pressure rises as the loyalty program at Westjet is so poor and must be run by a bunch of %@@#$! I don't understand why Westjet doesn't try to engage members more with their loyalty program, as most airline loyalty programs are big revenue avenues for airlines.

There is absolutely no good reason to buy WJD on sale!
smilee is offline  
Old Sep 28, 2023, 1:00 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: YYC, Canada
Programs: AC 35k
Posts: 1,900
Originally Posted by smilee
There is absolutely no good reason to buy WJD on sale!
There is never a good reason to buy WJD ever. There is never a reason to use the RBC MasterCard to earn WJD on flights, either, because many credit cards give you cash for travel spend at a rate higher than 2%, which means not only do you get a higher earn rate, but you can actually use the money earned to pay for the WestJet fare and taxes, which WestJet doesn't allow you to with WJD, plus you can often use it for other travel. WJD are useless beyond the amount you get for free for flying.

The only value that credit card gives you is priority security in YYC and the companion fare. It's not a card you should ever spend on.
Da_Master likes this.

Last edited by YXUFlyboy; Sep 28, 2023 at 1:08 pm
YXUFlyboy is online now  
Old Sep 28, 2023, 7:07 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: YYJ
Posts: 4,160
Originally Posted by smilee
A couple of problems with this. Saving 10% booking "Member Exclusive" - but paying 200% or with the sale 140% - would make it more expensive.
I don't think anyone is suggesting you should buy the whole amount.
But as a top up, if you're a few WJD short and the fare is significantly less .. Why not?
cedric is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2023, 5:47 pm
  #7  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Posts: 1,945
Originally Posted by cedric
I don't think anyone is suggesting you should buy the whole amount.
But as a top up, if you're a few WJD short and the fare is significantly less .. Why not?
I guess in the rare situation when you are a couple of dollars short for a Business class or Premium class ticket it could definitely make sense.

For an economy fare, BASIC is priced cheaper - so why pay more than a dollar ($2.00 / $1.40 on sale) to redeem for a dollar ($1.00) for a 'Member Exclusive' especially when 'Member Exclusive' fare is treated as a 'Basic' fare but costs you MORE! (although advertised by Westjet as a deal because they compare Member Exclusive to Economy Fare instead of the Basic Fare) URGHHH WJ loyalty program @#$%@
ecgz88 and cedric like this.
smilee is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2023, 11:13 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Posts: 1,923
Originally Posted by smilee
I guess in the rare situation when you are a couple of dollars short for a Business class or Premium class ticket it could definitely make sense.

For an economy fare, BASIC is priced cheaper - so why pay more than a dollar ($2.00 / $1.40 on sale) to redeem for a dollar ($1.00) for a 'Member Exclusive' especially when 'Member Exclusive' fare is treated as a 'Basic' fare but costs you MORE! (although advertised by Westjet as a deal because they compare Member Exclusive to Economy Fare instead of the Basic Fare) URGHHH WJ loyalty program @#$%@
A bit of incorrect info here. Member Exclusive is very much the same as an Econo Fare.. you just do not earn rewards on it. You can cancel, make changes, select seats for less $ than Basic, select seats at check in for no charge, etc. Member Exclusive is always priced less than Econo, and a lot of the time less than Basic, or just a little more.

Ron.
newfbc is online now  
Old Sep 30, 2023, 2:09 pm
  #9  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Posts: 1,945
Originally Posted by newfbc
A bit of incorrect info here. Member Exclusive is very much the same as an Econo Fare.. you just do not earn rewards on it. You can cancel, make changes, select seats for less $ than Basic, select seats at check in for no charge, etc. Member Exclusive is always priced less than Econo, and a lot of the time less than Basic, or just a little more.

Ron.
Personally I have never seen Member Exclusive priced less than basic so I would not say "a lot of the time less than Basic "
Member Exclusive- cancel/change fees often priced almost as much as the ticket especially for domestic flights.
Member Exclusive does not earn tier points either. I also believe no upgrades on ME fares.
Very weak argument that ME is more like econo fare than Basic IMO so I guess we can agree to disagree but I know my feelings are similar to many about ME and Westjet dollars and the loyalty program in general.

Westjet does many things well but selling $2 or even $1.40 for a $1 WJD makes very little sense sense
Da_Master, ecgz88 and gcashin like this.

Last edited by smilee; Sep 30, 2023 at 2:27 pm
smilee is offline  
Old Oct 3, 2023, 11:50 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: YYC
Programs: Aeroplan unknown
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by smilee
Westjet does many things well but selling $2 or even $1.40 for a $1 WJD makes very little sense sense
Clearly I will not be buying any Westjet dollars. Thank You all for confirming this.
jimsthe1 likes this.
JohnYYC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.