Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is Westjet pretty much the same as AC nowadays?

Is Westjet pretty much the same as AC nowadays?

Old Jun 13, 2023, 5:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan unknown
In 2022 I spent about $10k each with AC & WS. When a problem arises I can usually get through to a live person from AC in less than 10 minutes. WS not so great. Both times in 2022 the wait was about 7 hours, for real.
So far in 2023 I have spent $0 with WS. Plus it seems that my Aeroplan points do not expire, yet I was threatened with a total wipeout of my WS Dollars because I had them in my account since 2020/21.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:53 am

I fly a lot for work and have decided to stay pretty loyal to westjet. When I used to fly air Canada it was frustrating that they give out status based on segments or miles flown vs dollars spent. I recently flew Vancouver to castlegar, spent $1200 return and got 2 segments and 600 miles. I am 1/3 the way to 25k on spend but 1/12 the way on segments. I have coworkers that spend $10,000 on air Canada and barely reach 25k status because air Canada doesnt value loyalty for these short expensive flights. This is probably the only area where westjet beats air Canada on the loyalty side.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
For the trips to Europe on the WS 789, the WS premium economy seat is wider than AC's. That bit extra width made it much more comfortable.
Fisch and arf04 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
For the trips to Europe on the WS 789, the WS premium economy seat is wider than AC's. That bit extra width made it much more comfortable.
How does the food/beverage selection/quality/presentation compare for the same cabin WS versus AC?
Old Jun 14, 2023, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
How does the food/beverage selection/quality/presentation compare for the same cabin WS versus AC?
I did YYC-YYZ-MAD on AC and BCN-YYC on WS, both in premium economy. AC was an A330 from YYZ-MAD and WS was the 789. The YYC-YYZ segement was in Y, so nothing to compare there.

It seemed that the AC food was better, and I didn't hear anyone being told their choice was unavailable. In contrast on WS, the meat dishes ran out about half way though the cabin and the choice was the vegetarian pasta or nothing and the cabin crew was trying to upsell the pasta. At an informal glance, I'd say only 12-15 of the chicken and beef (combined) were loaded for a cabin of 28, and it was a full cabin.

I don't drink alcohol, so I can't comment on what was available on either airline.

AC menu followed by the chicken and beef dishes.

WS menu and the beef dish.

YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:04 pm

Wow! The dish size/portion in AC W are comparable to the dish size/portion in WS J!
Old Jun 15, 2023, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Everytime I see Terra Chips in the store I think of WS.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:10 pm

The big thing for me with WS PE on the 787 is that it is truly a separate cabin vs AC where it is essentially an extension of the economy cabin. If I am going to have to fly PE, then it will always be WS over AC unless there is no choice.
V1213 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by arf04
The big thing for me with WS PE on the 787 is that it is truly a separate cabin vs AC where it is essentially an extension of the economy cabin. If I am going to have to fly PE, then it will always be WS over AC unless there is no choice.
I agree. WestJet's long haul Premium is also a distinct and separate soft product offering, and this is reflected in many ways.

Last time I flew AC it was basically Economy with a big seat and a big main meal. The staff were shared with Economy, the second meal on AC was exactly the same as Economy (a sad snack, like a shelf-stable packaged croissant), as were the drinks - it was particularly sad when the Economy drinks cart rolled up from the back and started in Premium.
In contrast, WS long haul Premium follows the same flow as domestic Premium, with dedicated staff and more personalized service, a drink and snack service prior to the first meal, better wine (poured in the galley and walked out to passengers), similar first meals to domestic Premium, and a warm small second meal (a warm bread with filling and a cold salad). In terms of cabins, WS has the benefit of dedicated Premium toilets, unlike AC.

In short, WS long haul Premium feels more Premium, whereas AC's offering feels cheap.
Fisch, YYCguy, aerobod and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 8:20 pm

Must depend on the plane, as the 330 was a separate cabin. The "feel" of the cabins between AC and WS was very similar, I'd consider them mostly equal.

Of the flights I did, I wouldn't consider the cabin or service to be a differentiator between AC or WS.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 8:10 am

Must depend on the plane, as the 330 was a separate cabin. The "feel" of the cabins between AC and WS was very similar, I'd consider them mostly equal.

Of the flights I did, I wouldn't consider the cabin or service to be a differentiator between AC or WS.
I have not been on the AC 330 since before they added PE so cannot say what PE is like there, but on the 787 and 777 theres no division between economy and PE. They also removed the curtain quite a few years ago, which really cheapened the experience. My main recollection is of people endlessly trooping by my seat to use the lav. On WS theres a galley separating economy from PE, and no one from economy ever comes through. Its a very quiet cabin.

Id be interested to learn more about the 330 layout, but to me there is a big difference between ACs 777/787 and WSs 787 as far as PE is concerned.

I can only speak to my own experience, but having flown TATL J on AC, WS, KL, AF, SK, and LH in the last 18 months or so and AC stood out as being the worst experience by quite a bit for various reasons, so if my choice is WS or AC Im going with WS. Domestically, to me AC J is superior to WS Premium, and with WSs route cuts theyre a hard sell to get me where I need to go so I dont think theyre the same as OP asks.
gcashin and V1213 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 11:58 am

Id be interested to learn more about the 330 layout, but to me there is a big difference between ACs 777/787 and WSs 787 as far as PE is concerned.
I was on the 330 Layout 1. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d/fleet.html#/
The 4th photo is the PE cabin and there is divider between PE and Y. There was a lav for the PE passengers and the Y passengers didn't come forward to use it.
arf04 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:07 pm

Programs: AC SE
I'd have to say that I find WS to be significantly worse overall than AC these days, especially when it comes to handling situations around delays/cancellations.
  • I've found WS reliability to be poor lately, and WS takes longer to recover from IRROPS. As one example, WS has done day of departure cancellations for WS735 YXU-YYC three out of the past 4 days, leaving a ton of travelers scrambling.
  • WS rebooking is generally slow, there's no functional self serve rebooking, and phone support is often unreachable (even moreso than AC). Heck, their Platinum Priority line doesn't even open until 8 AM ET so if you call before 8 AM ET, you get a message that the Platinum line is closed (at least it gives you the option to redirect the call)
  • WS agents don't seem to be able to handle IRROPS effectively. Even in controllable cancellations where WS doesn't have any rebooking options on their own metal, they refuse to rebook on other airlines, even though it's required by the APPR (computer says no to rebooking on AC).
  • WS seems generally slower to recover than AC for larger IRROPS like weather-related events
  • 737 econ seats are uncomfortable with tight pitch and few preferred seats
  • WS buy-on-board options are terrible
  • The lounge offering is terrible outside of the one YYC flagship lounge
  • The WS loyalty program is a joke with no meaningful upgrade instrument
  • A lot of the recent policy changes like the more restrictive schedule change policy are very customer unfriendly
WS was better than AC at many things over the years, but my experience is that WS has slipped considerably.
FlyerJ likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by gcashin
  • I've found WS reliability to be poor lately, and WS takes longer to recover from IRROPS. As one example, WS has done day of departure cancellations for WS735 YXU-YYC three out of the past 4 days, leaving a ton of travelers scrambling.
  • WS seems generally slower to recover than AC for larger IRROPS like weather-related events.
The industry stats indicate perception and reality in the case of OTP are not aligned.

AC has had worse reliability for OTP than WS every month this year and I can’t recall any time in the past 10 years or so that hasn’t been the norm (Covid anomalies excluded). In May 2023 WS was 63rd of 121 airlines ranked by OAG for OTP with A15 at 76.6%, AC was 89th with A15 at 68.9%: https://www.oag.com/en/on-time-perfo...lines-may-2023
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by aerobod
The industry stats indicate perception and reality in the case of OTP are not aligned.
That very link shows that WS' cancel rate is twice that of AC's. I think most people would rather deal with a delay than having double the chance of being cancelled. Especially given the much greater challenge that it is to get rebooked on WS.
gcashin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.