Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flight rescheduled 48 hours later - wait for compensation or make a claim?

Old May 19, 2023, 11:44 am
Original Poster

I was booked to fly today on Westjet from LAS to YVR then YVR to YXT (two of us traveling)

Due to the potential upcoming strike my flights today were canceled, then the strike was averted at the last minute.

Yesterday afternoon I got an email from Westjet stating that today's flights were rescheduled to Sunday. This would have me arriving home 48 hours late. The email gave me two options: accept the change or cancel the flights for a refund. I chose to cancel and made other plans to get home.

I understand I am owed something like $1000.00 per person due to being rescheduled 48 hours later than my original booking. But I also understand that Westjet will try their best to weasel out of their obligation and will probably just refund me the fare for the flights home (and this won't be much of a refund since I used a companion ticket voucher on this booking).

My alternate flights home today cost $1287.40 for LAS to YVR, plus 50,000 Aeroplan points for YVR to YXT, plus the Aeroplan booking fee.

How to proceed? Just wait and see what Westjet gives me? Send them a letter demanding the thousand bucks per person owed? Or await a probable upcoming class action lawsuit?
Old May 19, 2023, 11:59 am

If you cancelled for a refund, I don't believe you are owed compensation under APPR as their obligation to you ends with the refund.
Further, Westjet has this note on their compensation claim page:

Under the Air Passenger Protection Regulations (APPRs) a labour disruption within the carrier or within an essential service provider is considered outside of air carrier control. As a result, any disruption in travel plans due to work stoppage or strike are not eligible for compensation.
Believe refund was the right call, but that no further compensation is owing.
Old May 19, 2023, 3:46 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by cedric
If you cancelled for a refund, I don't believe you are owed compensation under APPR as their obligation to you ends with the refund.
Further, Westjet has this note on their compensation claim page:

Believe refund was the right call, but that no further compensation is owing.
Westjet can post what they like on their web site.. but in this case there was no labour disruption.. so that doesn't apply. Westjet cancelled flights by their choosing.

As for compensation, I agree, once you accept a refund and move on, you're past the point of seeking compensation.

Ron.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.