Companion Voucher Use

Old Apr 5, 2023, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Companion Voucher Use

I am not a big fan at the moment but Westjet pricing to the UK is more attractive than AC. Have looked at getting a Westjet branded credit card to gain a Companion Voucher. My limited research has very mixed results on the value. Some love it but others say they can never use it.
My question is how restrictive are the flights that one can use it on. I would be booking. YYJ to LGW or LHR via Calgary.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: WS Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Can be of limited use depending on how much of the fare is actually set as base fare rather than as YQ. You want to make sure the base fare is at a minimum 399 to offset the cost to use a companion voucher (and consider the annual fee)

For example, a random search for YYJ-YYC-LHR-YYC-YYJ on May 15-May 28 comes out to a $300 saving with the voucher (have not considered annual fee for the card yet)

Old Apr 5, 2023, 3:05 pm

The only true value is using your companion passes for Premium Economy to Europe.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cgyroof
The only true value is using your companion passes for Premium Economy to Europe.
I was wondering about that option so it may be worth a try. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 5:19 pm

Yup - you can do that.. as per https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/reward...panion-voucher
  • Valid on all published Basic, Econo, EconoFlex, Premium, and PremiumFlex fares wholly marketed and operated by WestJet, including seat sales. Not valid on Business, BusinessFlex or Member Exclusive fares, nor combinable with a discount code. The same fare type must be booked for primary cardholder and companion.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 4:37 pm

Programs: Free Agent
We find the sweet spot is Premium in NA.
smilee, Adam Smith and V1213 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:13 am

I am pretty sure that in the past I have used a companion voucher on a domestic open-jaw but had to call in. Anyone know if you can do something like YYZ-YVR // YVR-LHR on a single companion voucher? Not so much interested in getting the YYZ flight for "free" as I am in getting the YVR-LHR segment as a half round trip fare instead of a one-way fare, which has a $400 premium on the dates I was hoping to use my voucher for a one-way YYZ-LHR.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by eggsbenedict
I am pretty sure that in the past I have used a companion voucher on a domestic open-jaw but had to call in. Anyone know if you can do something like YYZ-YVR // YVR-LHR on a single companion voucher? Not so much interested in getting the YYZ flight for "free" as I am in getting the YVR-LHR segment as a half round trip fare instead of a one-way fare, which has a $400 premium on the dates I was hoping to use my voucher for a one-way YYZ-LHR.
yes you can. U just have to call

i love my card but I get wj dollars as I use the card a lot so good savings

keep in mind u can not use on business and if u bid for upgrade I heard they wont give it to you as you used companion. I was in premium with voucher, bid a good amount for upgrade. Never won.
premium is nice though flying to/from Europe.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by john2003
I am not a big fan at the moment but Westjet pricing to the UK is more attractive than AC. Have looked at getting a Westjet branded credit card to gain a Companion Voucher. My limited research has very mixed results on the value. Some love it but others say they can never use it.
My question is how restrictive are the flights that one can use it on. I would be booking. YYJ to LGW or LHR via Calgary.
The companion certificate is not restrictive EXCEPT it cannot be used on Business class, but it can on Premium and Economy.

As others have mentioned the best savings are going to be on North American Premium cabin tickets. The problem with Europe is Wesjet adds on many fees (hidden in their taxes and fees section) on flights to destinations like Europe. So the "2 for 1" aspect of the companion certificate is diminished on those. However you would still save money and after all isn't that what we are after.

If you can afford Premium, it would certainly be a better experience and the overall price might not be that much higher.

But short answer, companion certificate is open for pretty much any Economy or Premium Economy ticket and should save you some varying amount of money.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 3:04 pm

What restrictions?

if u use your WestJet card you get free luggage
and they feed you as well

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.